NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Kopi is in the hospital

katana600

Over the weekend our boy was quieter than normal, his grip was not good. He didn't come to the top of the cage Sunday and I had him at the vet when they opened Monday morning. His xray shows his liver is three times the size of normal, his air sacs, heart and other organs are crowded. He is severely anemic and has fluid in his lungs. He is on oxygen and we are waiting for some test results to know what to do next. It could be PDD but there are other things going on too. They gave him vitamins, antibiotics and he is in a warm incubator. I went back to the vet and took his favorite blanket and his beans and favorite dishes. He let me hold him for almost two hours and I left him in good hands with caring compassionate people. He rallied around this morning and we are keeping hope alive and will deal with whatever comes. He is just precious to me. I treasure the good time we have had and hope for more. I will let you know how it is going as we get news.

• Sad 1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have learned so much in our short time together. This time I have a better support system both through the forum and with a really good vet. I will be there when they open in the morning and spend time with our boy while we wait for news on test results. He is so sweet through all of his troubles and he deserves for us to keep up our hope. With that said, even with the sadness at seeing him sick, it has been the greatest joy of my life to spend time with him and I knew what I was getting into from the start. He is in good hands.

I have learned so much in our short time together. This time I have a better support system both through the forum and with a really good vet. I will be there when they open in the morning and spend time with our boy while we wait for news on test results. He is so sweet through all of his troubles and he deserves for us to keep up our hope. With that said, even with the sadness at seeing him sick, it has been the greatest joy of my life to spend time with him and I knew what I was getting into from the start. He is in good hands.

Dee, the reason for this is because of you and your selflessness...And as we all admire, your strength.....

Thank you everyone. You have all had such valuable advice. It is what helped us get to this point. The best advice you have given is to listen to a grey's subtle messages because they will not show illness and it goes downhill quickly. I have been watching him closely and every time you say, get them to the vet quickly. In such a short time he went from being quiet and "different" to lying down on the way to the vet's office. The heated incubator and the oxygen were critical to him and he is still doing his best and is able to perch and to eat. All the vet tech's have been wonderful and he has two good vets looking after him. They told me I can be with him there as much as I want. I will be there when they open in the morning, and I put his backpack carrier in my car in hopes we get to bring him home. I put an air mattress in the trunk too after scoping out a spot on the floor. LOL. Seriously though, he is warm, quiet and calm. When I held him as I was getting ready to go, I said "I love you buddy" and he made his little double-kiss sound to me. I believe it is more than just a conditioned response.

Your prayers and warm wishes are making a difference. Kopi is home! I decided to be there when they opened this morning to see him and was planning to spend the day with him. Just as I pulled into their parking lot, my phone rang and it was the vet saying I could make an appointment to come pick him up. We have no answers, but have gotten negative results for the tests for aspergillosis and chlamydia. He is responding to the antibiotics and other meds and is eating and seems way better than we saw him on Monday morning. His vet said as long as he is eating, drinking, pooping and taking his medicine orally without any issues, he will be more comfortable in familiar surroundings. I am putting him in his smallest cage and setting up the heating pad under it and keeping him warm. He seems happy and has a good attitude for all he has been through. They would like to do a liver biopsy, but not while he is so sick because the risk of bleeding is too high. So our game plan is to keep him warm, fed and in his happy place for a week and take him back in to revaluate at that time. His vet says there are many indicators that do not point to PDD, but there is so much going on right now with him that it is hard to pinpoint what the actual cause of his illness is today other than to rule out the two things they could. They have called in consultations and his numbers are indicating that TB needs and to be considered. We are just going to love him and keep him warm and give him a chance to fight whatever it is from a position of strength. He is such a sweet boy. Thanks for sharing your concern, it does help to feel your caring and to know you are pulling for Kopi to recover.