NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A new behavior...

djohnson

My Timneh Grey recently began exhibiting some behavior I've not noticed and I'm sure I have an idea of what it is, but would like to have an experienced owner/handler confirm what I think.

S/he (not been sexed) has started to bend kinda low and fluff out his/her wings which kinda exposes his/her back. Then last night I had him/her out and was scratching his/her head when all of a sudden s/he did something akin to regurgitating and four pieces of food came out - like it was trying to feed me?

It really doesn't like to be petted on the back and I know enough not to pet near the vent which the bird doesn't really like to be petted on the front (chest). It enjoys having its head scratched but that's about it and even then it's not too keen about that either.

So, I'm wondering, the fluffing out and the "feeding" is that something a female would do? And any ideas about the behavior? How would one handle that?

Any and all responses are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Don and T-bird

Your birdie loves you! This bending low, drooping wings and regurgitating for you are classical signs of a grey's mating dance. You might also notice some panting or little noises. Of course, parents will also regurgitate for their babies.

It's pretty harmless as long as you don't encourage it. Perhaps quietly return the bird to its cage, without making a fuss, or use something to distract him/her.

Don't pat your bird around its wings, back and vent area, as this can encourage this sort of behaviour.

Welcome Don and T-bird!!

As Azzie and Judy said, It does sound like a normal love of a Grey for you. They will sometimes do this when you have been gone a while and come back. They are just expressing their love for you.

How old is your Grey and how long have you had him-her?

It's GreYt having you here. :)

Azzie, now that you mention it - I have noticed little sounds during the "dance". Love my bird but but after that I was kinda disgusted and did return him to his cage. So, it sounded like I handled it nicely. When he started the "dance" I didn't really pet him at all because I was afraid that was what he was doing and I didn't want to encourage it. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Judy - I was too repulsed (this was the first time I've seen him do this) to thank him. I'll try to remember to get past that feeling and thank him if it happens again.

Now, another question, is this something that will continue or will he eventually stop if I keep returning him to his cage?

Thanks again, I really do appreciate the information. How long have you two owned your greys? I have had Tumnus for about 3 years now.

-Don

I have had him for about 3 years and I think he's about 4 now. He wasn't very old when I got him. I got him from a couple who rescued birds and he happened to be a bird they rescued. We had to work through some issues with biting but he's doing great! He is a sweet bird (as I sit here and type that he is saying, "What a sweet boy!") and I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world. He's the comic relief I need at times.

Love, You are chosen, be gentle, as has been said, say thank you, and walkaway, Your baby's sexually matured, or close... Remember our Grey's are much more intelligent, emotional, compassionate, and very much aware of love and what it means.. Please don't be repulsed, this is nature, real life....Jayd

You asked

""Now, another question, is this something that will continue or will he eventually stop if I keep returning him to his cage?""

No it won't stop. It may lessen a bit. Right now, it's a sign of some affection but as they get older and eventually become sexually mature and will do the same thing, only more intensely. That's the time to not touch the bird in any sensitive areas that will further excite him/her sexually. If you do that and stop, eventually your bird will bite you because you're leaving the bird sexually unsatisfied. Read the Body Language thread and it'll explain more in detail.

No, the cage has nothing to do with what's going on.