NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What to do

bridtown

Hi all

Just want to say what a great website for african grey's

Well i have a problem with mine or should i say the problem is me.

I have had my African Grey 4days and i have a allergic reaction i get bad migraine's my Doctor says it's something to do with the feathers and advised me to sell

But i have no idea how much money i could get the the darling it's the small version of a African Grey i think just under 6months old He-she is very tame lets you stroke her-him all the time and gives pleanty of afection. He-she does say hello but very quiet and not often but lisstens all the time and just startin to pick up the whistleing. i get it for £700 and got a cage for £90

I hope this helps you decide how much i could ask for it

Thanks

I can send pictures tommorrow

There is a post all about birds and astham. I think it might help you to be able to keep your bird if you try some of the idea out.

BTW its the dust from the feathers not the feathers.<br><br>Post edited by: Tari, at: 2007/08/21 23:08

Hi birdtown,

4 days is no time at all,

My husband suffers from migraines & never has my Doctor suggested it is anything to do with our greys & we have three !

May i ask where you got the bird ? At 6 months to be passed onto another owner is stressful for the bird.

I think you should really decide if you want this bird or the money ?

Handreared babies can be purchased from breeders in the UK from £500 -£600, so why £700 ?

I dont wish to appear rude, but i would be more concerened on finding the correct forever home for this bird.There are many UK forums where you could advertise him for sale if this the only option for you.<br><br>Post edited by: lovemyGreys, at: 2007/08/21 23:05

Welcome bridtown. I am sorry to hear you are having this challenge. As Tari indicated, there are many people with asthma that have found ways to live with and enjoy their greys. However, each case is different and you will need to decide what is best for you and your bird. Regarding price, my suggestion would be not to focus too much on that. The important thing should be finding an owner you feel confident about their commitment to proper care for the bird. That being said, a young bird as you describe is probably worth about what you paid for it. To me personally I would not really be to concerned with the price, but I do realize money does not grow on trees so it must be a consideration.

I have a cockateal and had over 9 months and doctor says that(polly) the cockateal is prob started the reaction and my parrot pushed it forward just repatin what the doc says.

I got the birdie from a place down south on a day trip and fell in love with her-him and had to have on the day i know i got ripped off but his-her personallity is ausome

birdtown its sounds as if you bought your bird on impulse, if you truly want to keep the bird, then you can work around the migraines ;)

Greys are wonderful birds & need a lot of attention & your time & love.

You need to be honest & tell us if you wish to keep the bird or re home it ?

Then we can help you in the right direction.:)

Thanks for the reply

My focus isn't about the price i paid at all but i know i got rip[ped off and don't want to get ripped off again.

I haven't decided what to do as yet i really love the birdie hell not ever got a name yet not a clue what sex it is

bridtown wrote:

Thanks for the reply

My focus isn't about the price i paid at all but i know i got rip[ped off and don't want to get ripped off again.

You seem to be focusing on Being ripped off, why would you be ripped off again ? It seems to me you want to get the money back you paid for it !

I suggest you come to a decision sooner than later with the birds best welfare in mind, if you sell then please find a forever home so she/he is not passed around.

Please if you keep this bird let us know & we will help you all we can.Im afraid i cant offer any more advice untill you make your mind up.

ya that is why my doctors don't know I have them cause they really have no clue about pets and that is always the first thing they say. However my liver transplant doctor knows about the pet but he also know how important for good health it is for a patient to be happy and he is a younger doctor.

After you get a filter you well see a huge difference. You need one of those IMO wither you have birds or not.

Guest Monique

Birdtown - there is nothing wrong with rehoming your bird if you need to. I would give it a bit more time if your doctor hasn't done an actual allergy test. Perhaps you are just coming down with the flu or something! But if you determine it is allergies and need to rehome the bird you should be able to view some comparable UK boards where they sell birds to help come up with a price. It's important that you price her at a reasonable price and not knock it down just to get a good home. Generally people bargain shopping are not ones that have done their homework and saved their pennies. Of course there are exceptions and if you meet one of these that is a perfect fit you may want to reduce your price.

Air filters are a great suggestion, my mom has some around the house, and when she takes them out every week its amazing the dust and feathers they get.

Monique is right, did your doctor test to see if you actually ARE allergic to your grey?

Melissa

Yes please keep us up to date. I know migrains are no fun. I have them time to time.

But no one has ever told me they were cause of my birds. And I dare someone to suggest I get rid of any of them. lol

But I have some of mine almost 9 years. They are here to stay if I have to build them their own room to keep them.

Guest briansmum

please try some of the suggestions before rehoming your bird, if nothing works then it would be best for you and the bird if it got a new home. but 6 months is such an important age, and having only just moved to live you with, moving again so soon could cause irrepairable emotional damage to the bird. please keep in touch and let us know what you decide.

I have made a appointment to see another doctor and this time not say anything apout my birds first.

I think like you people that that my doctor is speaking rubish

Thanks again for all your input just glad i asked you people before i did somthing stupid thanks again

Chris