NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Friend needs help / very important !!!

Karcar

I work in a drug and alcohol rehab facility and we hear all types of horror stories, but this one hits close to home having two greys myself. A co worker went to buy a bird we had heard about that was being sold from a known crack head the bird was a grey and the owner thought it was funny and entertaining to give drugs to the bird and then sit back and watch his reaction, we have filed police reports and other reports as well but the bird is in need of a lot of help. To be honest my friend can't afford a vet visit until after her next pay period but in the meantime the bird is thrashing around in the cage until his wings are bleeding she placed foam on the bottom of the cage and placed newspaper on top to help cushion the falls. The poor bird is terrified of humans she has no experience with birds just wanted to remove him from the home he was in, I have been trying to help her all I can but I could use some help in helping her. Is there something she could give the bird to maybe clean the toxins from his system? Any and all advice is needed.

Thanks, Karen

I'm sorry just keep doing what your doing, pad the cage the best you can. We've had a Crack bird for over two years now, it takes a lot of time, thank you for doing this.. Make sure you keep a lot of fresh water, this is important... Keep as much fresh veggies as possible in the cage, don't try to do any bonding or training at this time, if[?] the baby don't stress out with you a round, sit in the room with him, it's best if the baby is in a quiet area....Don't worry about diet to much right now, getting food down him is more important, you can get Chamomile tea, [good brand, pure] and at first mix 1/2 tea to 1/2 water, increase it daily till it's all tea, make sure he's drinking it, if not, add a second bowl of water to his cage, this works and is safe for birds...Try Broccoli stalks for him to take his nervous out on, or a soft piece of thick safe rope... This brings tears to my eye's, this is hell on these baby's. I'll help any way I can...He needs space and area and 1 low perch, don't over load his cage...Most of the time you'll just have to stay back, play soft music.......Jayd

Can you try contacting local bird vets to see if anyone will work with you in the meantime as Jingles said? Would your vet possibly help under the circumstance? Maybe the SPCA knows of someone or if you have a local bird sanctuary or zoo. There might also be some local bird guru's. Maybe you could let people know where you are & they will know of some bird keeper in the area who would know enough to help.

I HATE these stories SO much!! Thanks for trying to help.

Edited by birdhouse

That Grey really needs to go to a true rescue that has the right people and resources in terms of avian vet care if possible. The bird needs a very calm environment, it may have severe health issues and could even have injuries that are causing the behavior you are reporting. If there is a rescue with in driving range of your home or a VERY experienced Parrot person with the funds to take a bird in need like this, it would be the best service anyone could provide for this poor mistreated soul.

Barbara (my friend) isn't home from work yet, but I do have a call in to the vet's to see if she can help in some way, thank you for the suggestion. I am taking notes from all of your responses to help Barb with, as far a a true bird rescue I will check into that as well. So sad to hear the bird will never truly recover I was in hopes it would.

I will keep you posted, Karen

How anyone could do such a thing to a beautiful creature is beyond me, they must have s**t for brains and so sad that this bird will never fully recover from this hideous mistreatment but Dan has the right idea of contacting a bird rescue organization for they would know how to help this poor bird. Please keep us informed Karen.

Heard back from vet she feels trying to bring him in right now would prove to be too stressful, We are going to drop off some fecal to be tested talk of sending out a tech to draw blood as well but in a few days, we are also picking up something called DMG, she spoke also about trying some holistic care remedies, but mainly allowing the bird a chance to try and calm down first and changing his diet we found out he has been eating top ramen, chips, coke, taco bell, crackers, junk food in other words. We lowered the perch in the cage without causeing too much panic, although I don't think he has ate much of anything today so I ran some harrison pellets thru the food processor and turn them to powder and sprinkled as much as I could on some pasta since he does eat top ramen, we also moved him to an extra bedroom and talk softly and calmly from across the room and it seems to help, and gave him the tea that Jayd suggested. He truly is heart breaking, I hope they throw the book at the jerk who did this to such a wonderful creature.

Oh I forgot to mention they had named the bird "Asshole" We now call him/her "Angel"

Thanks Karen for the update on Angel, such a shame that he has had to live the way he did and thank you for being a part of his recovery and helping to do what it takes to give this bird a decent life.

I'd like to throw more than the book at this jerk who did this, just give me 5 minutes, I swear some people just shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

You are his Angel-time , healthy fresh foods and calm surroundings are the best things right now. Poor little guy has been through too much stuff altogether! Pulling for him and you in your effort to help make him whole. It will take lots of time but looking forward to reports on his recovery.

Keep doing what your doing, Angel need to clean out his system, this takes time, all you can do is give comforting voice's to him, at this point he's not concerned with trust or with what kind of food he has, when he wants to eat, he wants it there, try seeds to, sunflower/safflower are good at this point, a lot of times they eat in bursts, so keep all kinds of food available at all time's...Don't get any closer to him or the cage then he will allow you, sit back, talk, sing soft..Love you, thanks

This is good Holistic's for our parrot.....

Dimethylglycine (DMG) is a derivative of the amino acid glycine with the structural formula (CH3)2NCH2COOH. Often it is found in beans and liver. It can be formed from trimethylglycine upon the loss of one of its methyl groups. It is also a byproduct of the metabolism of choline.

When DMG was first discovered, it was referred to as vitamin B16, but, unlike true B vitamins, deficiency of DMG in the diet does not lead to any ill-effects. In legal terms, it has been deemed not to be a vitamin but a food product and, as such, is available without a practitioner or prescription.

Uses

The Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center says that DMG will "enhance oxygen utilization during hypoxia, reduce lactic acid build-up in the blood during stressful events," and reduce the number of seizures experienced in epilepsy.

Edited by Jayd

A. Deprive an animal of necessary sustenance, food or drink, or neglect or refuse to furnish it such sustenance or drink;

B. Cause, procure or allow an animal to be overdriven, overloaded, tortured, cruelly beaten, or unjustifiably injured, maimed, mutilated or killed, or to be deprived of necessary food or drink;

This is the only thing we could have charged that idiot with which none are being charged of course he lied about the drugs and we can't prove it at this point. Too bad about the animal cruelty charges but we did do a CPS report (Child Protective Services) for other things going on in home.If Barbara has anything to do with it she's not going to stop until he recieves something.

Angel allows us to look at him without growling and screaming and thrashing around but we have to be on the other side of the room. He did eat a little last night as well.

Karen

If Barbara has anything to do with it she's not going to stop until he recieves something.

Barbara sounds like my kind of woman and this kind of stuff goes on all the time because we don't have the proper laws on the books regarding animal cruelty, I hope they do find something to get him on.

Thank Barbara an and you for all the effort you are making to help Angel....Keep a watch on Angel, anytime something new is tried on our fid's, even a change is food, they need to be watched closely. Each bird is different, and react differently....Keep up the Grey't work.....Jayd

Jayd & Karcar:

Bless your hearts and your efforts. It has taken me the week to finally be able to bring myself to read this thread in it's entirety. My heart has been so broken by this thread. These poor poor birds.

I am in awe of you both for opening up your hearts and being the living angels you are for helping these birds have a better life, they were living in hell and you are doing all you can to try and bring them out into a world they deserved to have. I am so proud to have the privelage of knowing you both. Please keep us updated, Jayd, I had no idea you had a crack bird. Please tell us more...we can all learn from your experience and your hero some efforts.