NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I can't belive it. He's a genious ! :-)

Cobi Hay

With a huge laugh I wish to tell you all that my Neptune was able to open a little glass jar with a metal screw covering :P.

I placed a few seeds inside, and made sure the jar is transparent so he could see what's inside. Took him 3 days to solve the riddle and open the jar (which how he did it, is still a mystery for me). It's open and empty and he got that "now what?" look in his eyes.

That's his first jar. So far I gave him only easy riddles, like carton boxes which are easy to chew, pine acorns (steamed and washed of course) with seeds inside their folds. Plates covered with papers etc.

Wow I'm proud of him :-). Suggestions for a bit harder riddle ?

Are you guys telling me I have a bandit at home or something? Maybe I should call the police?

I got a really nice cage here, it wasn't the cheapest and the real cool thing is the way the main door is locked: With 2 bars in separated sides of the door so you need human hands (with thumbs) to open both bars, and they are ...

oh heck

I'll buy a lock, alright. ;-)

BTW i think he's smarter than me as well.

I have 2 or 3 hundred dollars in toys and or puzzle for Corky and have spent up $50.00 on one puzzle plus things that we have made for her and it never took her more than 2 hours to solve this includs 3 cages with differnt locks. I can`t keep up with her. I don`t know who is being tested me or her.

Hey Jay!

For sure you are right about taking the safer side. This specific jar is sold with babies food (fruit mesh of some kind) so i tend to believe it's not toxic. I've seen other people using the same jar with parrots!

The busy boxes look AMAZING

Think one can DIY something like that?

Oh here is a nice toy that im planning on making:

A plastic tube with a simple screw on each side (big enough for them not to swallow) . Place inside some nuts the parrot can see. I was told it takes 'em a few days to understand how to unscrew it and get the yummy treats inside. it's a good leg toy as well.

Thank you Cobi. There's a lot of things that are considered baby/human safe, if licked or used to cover food etc, but, they no longer become safe if "chewed" or scratched. A bird can get "Heavy Metal" poisoning from many things that are safe for humans. Zinc is deadly to our fid's.....Stainless steel bolt's of good quality are okay. Think of your reef tank, if someone were to drop a shaving of a penny into it!...Most paint's for example state "Baby Safe", the fine print reads, "If not chewed".....Thanks Jayd

How does this work ?

I always try to mix old toys with new ones. So yesterday's wooden beads are today's "find the treat in a bowl full with beads". :-)

Just finished making a fancy toy from wooden beads, linen and raffia strings, plastic "jewels", cuttlefish bone, leather parts from older parrot toys etc, all based on 2 stainless still stripes that were part of a wooden ladder Neptune disassembled. Placed the entire construction on a large wooden 8 digit (which is usually used on doors to mark the number of your house). My parrot is crazy about that toy. Ate about 20% of it already.

For that special key like toy - I'd combine it somehow or place it in a little more difficult place to reach, to add some action for your parrot's gathering habits :-)

Btw - Was googeling for tall boy clothing basket and didn't find exactly what's that?

Thank you

Cobi