NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New to the forum

Kaleah

As of two days ago I just brought home a rescued 4 year old CAG, that I named Kaleah. Kaleah came from a home where she had beaten for not talking. I knew I was going to have my work cut out for me with her, but I was more then ready. The night I brought her home she had an accident...getting her head stuck in the fancy scrolled bars on her cage. After a brief moment of panic on my part I put my hand in her cage and had her stand on my arm and then with my free hand slowly turn her head as gently as possible to maneuver it out. It took about ten minutes but she finally got it out herself. Obviously shaken, she wouldn't let me put her down. I had read prior to bringing her home that any accidents that happen with your bird in the first few months/weeks may set back any progress you've made. The thing is, it seems to have pushed our progress ahead immensely. She's trusting me more and more each day. Yesterday I found out just how accepting she is of me when she started trying to feed me regurgitated food. I wasn't sure why she was doing this so I looked online and everything I read all said that she has accepted me as part of her "flock", loves me, and views me as her mate, I guess.

It just goes to show how amazing animals' abilities to love and trust can be, even when having been abused. Already she is the light of my life and has picked up so many noises from around the house. Even saying hello! I can rub my hand up and down her back and apply pressure to her tail feathers, something she has never allowed anyone to do. She's brilliant, smart, funny, and has completely stolen my heart.

That's truly a horrible story. So many greys don't talk and that's not unusual. They're not machines. First of all, to you, a huge pat on the back for doing what you did. Beat the bird?? Too bad I wasn't there. There aren't that many stories about people beating birds because it's a hard thing to do. So, these poor excuses of the human race had to go out of their way to do such a thing. You know something, my day has just been soured.

One thing about that cage---the size may have been for a larger sized bird and it may be necesary for you to get the proper size. If that's necessary, we have loads of pictures of cages and loads of opinions about the cages. Many are inexpensive. Really, really, good luck to you. Now, I'm pissed off big time.

Hello Kaleah and welcome to our family, we are so glad you rescued this grey, imagine being beaten because she wouldn't talk, some people can be so cruel but enough of that.

You may have been her knight in shining armour and she saw you as rescuing her from her predictament but it may not stay this way as you are in the honeymoon phase of taking in an older bird so watch out for her to unpack her bags and you may have some things to deal with but you are doing splendid for now.

One word of caution on rubbing her down her back and especially her tail area, she is 4 years old, as old as mine and touching her in those areas are her sexual arousal areas so by stroking her you could be lighting a fire if you catch my drift and you don't want that. If she starts holding her wings lower and out from her body and makes wimpering sounds then say "thank you" and walk away as you don't want to sexually frustrate her.

Would love to see some pictures of Kaleah if you have some you would share with us.

Im shocked of this owner, and bravo to you for rescuing this poor thing out of there !

Dave is pissed off. I tend to agree with him but considering his signature saying it's all a state of mind I'll see it differently: I'm happy. She found a better home.

Take it slowly and good luck.

One word of caution on rubbing her down her back and especially her tail area, she is 4 years old, as old as mine and touching her in those areas are her sexual arousal areas so by stroking her you could be lighting a fire if you catch my drift and you don't want that. If she starts holding her wings lower and out from her body and makes wimpering sounds then say "thank you" and walk away as you don't want to sexually frustrate her.

Yes, she does whimper. What I've been doing when she starts to pump her head and whimper, is put her back in the cage. She stops almost immediately.

I wasn't aware that stroking her back could sexually arouse her. I'll just stick with neck scratches for now. Don't want to lead her on any more than I, apparently, already have. HAHA