NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tesla's diet (new cag - please help)

CRYROLFE

Hi guys,

I am going to be going to Whole Foods this weekend and buy tons of things for my new CAG to eat. He has been with us for 4 days now.

Currently I have been feeding a Hahns Macaw (4yrs) and he eats the Birdie Bread diet in the files (the one made from scratch) and add veggies to it (froz ones) and also a Bean Cuisine that I get at the bird store. Zoopreem Avian Entrees is always available as well.

He also gets almonds, banana, broccoli, and cherrios on occasion.

The new CAG is eating Roudybush and spinach, straberries, grapes, bananas, pasta and cheese ....not the best I know. This is what his former owner fed.

I want them both on a great diet and I'm going to stick to a daily routine for them.

I plan on making Shauna's mash diet and the made from scratch bird bread.

I can feed them in the morning, but I normally only feed them that.

There are pellets in there all the time, but I don't get home until 5 or so and at that time, I may give them a bit of what we are eating if it's healthy for them but that's it.

Adding kelp and Apple Cider Vinegar (tiny bit) on top of food.

So does this plan sound like a good one??

Mash in the morning

Birdie Bread later when I get home

(or should I just give both in the morning?)

Pellets all the time.

Thanks so much for any help! I am very routine minded, so if I can just get a diet plan for them, I will strictly follow it.

That's how I am with the dogs/cat.

That routine sounds good to me. Most will adjust to routines. All 3 of the mini macaw species basically eat most of the things greys eat and visa versa. That doesn't apply to large macaws.

""""straberries, grapes, bananas, pasta and cheese """"

Too much fruit isn't good. It's too acidic and it's not nutritional. Fruit once in a while is ok.

Pasta is ok but don't overdo it. No more than 2x a week--1x a week is safer.

Cheese can be given once in a while. It should be a hard yellow brick cheese such as cheddar. Any white cheese is a no no. Once a week is plenty.

Try to incorporate many more types of green veegies in there. The darker the better.

"""almonds,"""

At least one a day. Packed with goods things and make a good treat or training aid.

As far as when to feed certain items which are soft as oposed to hard, you have to wait and see if your bird starts getting the runs from eating soft foods in the morning. If so, the feeding regimen has to change BUT because you have pellets in there all day, you shouldn't run into that problem.

Hi, to much spinach isn't good, it has a large amount of salt, it also contains oxalic acid which inhibits absorption of other nutrients, the same is true of chard...Here's a example of what we feed our fid's, they need a lot of fresh veggies in their diet plus some seeds and nuts.... Thanks Jayd..http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190462-We-Feed-Our-Fid-s!!!-Update

I love your diet!

I haven't really given him any spinach yet.....but did give him some broccoli and some banana.

There is so much info out there that it can really get confusing!!! I really want to do the best for them.

Your doing Grey't, just by asking Your questions...Jayd