NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Video of pepper (or tesla) hamming it up for the camera

CRYROLFE

Here is Pepper (or Tesla) really puttin' on a show for the camera. My daughter set it up on a tripod and went to sit in a chair.

He is very curious about the camera (it's really little....a FlipVideo) and at the very end he asks "Whatcha doing?"

This is his 3rd day in our house and he's really coming around.

His cage was a complete mess when I got home, so I think he's a lot less stressed. I wish he would eat more pellets though. :(

Yesterday he was talking like CRAZY! He was also doing all sorts of whistle songs included the Star Spangled Banner! He also said "You dork" which cracked everyone up...lol.

Edited by CRYROLFE

When my grey "shivers" usually it means he wants to step up and go somewhere else, or be with me. He cannot fly at the moment (clipped) so this is one of his ways to let me know he wants to be moved or picked up. The other times, he does this when he is nervous along with biting at his nails (which has now became a habit) :( since I moved to Va.

Well I think he may be nervous when he does it and I'm around him. He doesn't allow anyone to pick him up or touch him (yet) so I'm sure that's not what he's wanting....lol.

He does look like he wants to fly off though, so hopefully he doesn't start that since it's a real pain to get him back on the cage. I have to take out his bottom grate and hold it out for him to step up on....sigh.

You might want to pad around his cage so if he falls he won't split his breast, He could be nervous because he wants to fly so bad. He's reaching out to you...He doe's want to be picked up, he knows your not ready, he can feel you fear and emotions.....Jayd

Not sure about him wanting to be picked up since no one has ever picked him up yet....unless he was at the vet in a towel (which I'm sure he hated :)) He was hand weaned but then the owner that bought him as a baby only kept him on the cage and never worked with him.

I have carpet all over that room ('cept right behind his cage) so hopefully that will work.

I'm planning on clicker training him so I'll be sure to post his progression videos with that.

Awww, he is so sweet! He looks like he really does want to fly, maybe still just a little unsure of his new environment. Biscotti uses the word "hi" when he is nervous, sounds like maybe Pepper does too.

He will be getting more & more comfortable shortly, be prepared for that flight!! :)

Not sure about him wanting to be picked up since no one has ever picked him up yet....unless he was at the vet in a towel (which I'm sure he hated :)) He was hand weaned but then the owner that bought him as a baby only kept him on the cage and never worked with him.

I have carpet all over that room ('cept right behind his cage) so hopefully that will work.

I'm planning on clicker training him so I'll be sure to post his progression videos with that.

You might wish to read post#37 http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190309-A-note-on-Punishment-and-your-Parrot/page2

And anything you can on body language...Jayd

He definitely looks like he wants to get somewhere. The fact that he doesn't want to be taken there by a new hand may be another issue all together...but he definitely wants to investigate something with much anticipation. An effort must be made to take him around and show him things. Let him come down to somewhere where he can play...I can just feel his desire in that video so strongly. I hope there will be an effort to give him a lot of human contact so that he won't get so used to a life without human contact. He makes me want to come over to him and help him go see what ever it is he wants to see.

Is he biting people? Is there a reason no one has picked him up?

Edited by Elvenking

He definitely wants something, either to take flight or be picked up, you should go to him and see if he would step up for you but he looks really excited, don't be nervous, just calmly go to him and see if he stays put. He certainly is cute bobbing around on the door of the cage, thanks for sharing that video with us.

Well he has bitten people quite hard in the past so I don't want to start that up. He has climbed down from the cage on day 2 (I"m sure he's looking for his past home or something familiar) and once on the floor I thought I could get him to step up. Well, he just has a freak out and flops all around to get away, even though I was calmly sitting there.

The ONLY way to get him to step up is to remove the cage floor (the bar part) and hold it out for him to step up on. He is also afraid of perches and mom says it's because she once frightened him with one when he flew off and she tried to get him to step up.

The Bird Behavioralist is coming over on Thurs. so I'm going to show her the video too.

This video was taken when no one was in the room at all. It's just set up in the corner.

Thanks so much for any advice....my Hahns is VERY easy to read and if he was doing this it means he's about to fly off looking for me, so I'm pretty sure he wants to fly but probably not to me...since he doesn't really know me. He probably wants to find his previous mom.