NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cleaners?

JDS5607

Morning :)

I used to be able to just wipe down Sully's cage with hot water, dry it off, and be done... but as Sully is getting bigger, and his poopies are too, it's not working so well. I've been really paranoid about using any kind of cleaners on his cage because I wipe the WHOLE THING down, and I'm worried if I miss a spot and leave some cleaner, he'll get sick.

What do y'all use to clean the cages? I have no problem scrubbing!

All cleaners made for household use leave a residue that can't be felt by people. Those cleaners also have a wonderful odor.

Well, the odor will seriously hurt your bird and the residue will even more seriously harm your bird because they tend to mouthe everything first. Vinegar added to some water does a very good job with cleaning, has an odor which dissipates quickly, will leave no residue and in general is safe for birds. Large amounts of feces can be taken out of a cage daily without having to scrub the whole cage down.

As far as airborne odors, even scented or unscented candles can't be used near birds because they can smell things we can't and it can harm them.

I figured they weren't safe for them!

I will try vinegar and water! Hopefully that will help. The poo gets stuck in the bars, and at the base of the bars where it is connected to the bottom... yuck! Poo is the one thing I never even considered when I bought Sully-- shoulda figured, bigger bird, bigger poop!

I use one part vinegar, four parts water, and a tablespoon of lemon juice in a spray bottle and a little elbow grease:)...really doesn't take that much elbow grease. For hard to reach poopies (small spaces such as inbetween bars)... I spray and use Qtips for cleaning. Thinking about investing in a nipple brush for hard to reach places:). I take the boys out of their cages for cleaning and wipe down all bars of cages on my days off with this mixture and paper towels. I also use this same mixture to clean accident poopies that may land on my carpet and it works great for us:). I also am experimenting with making homemade natural scents for home (water,lime juice,vanilla extract, and almond extract in spray bottle(for quick smell) and diffuser reeds ;)!

If you wanna save some money, go to a petstore that has a large supply of different sized brushes that are use to clean out the various sized tubes that are hooked on to aquarium filters. There's different sized brushes and all can be bent in all various angles because when cleaning those tubes, the brush has to bend into extreme positions to scrub out the gunk in the tubes.

I use a nylon scrubby pad that you would use for dishes, after I spray on 2.5 Acidic water for sanitizing, then rinse by spraying 11.5 Alkaline water. No hard scrubbing needed, just lightly in a few hard poop spots. No cleaners necessary. This method of cleaning is used in Japan by doctors, hospitals and most hotels instead of harsh chemicals. Cheap too! I make it with my own tap water......:)