NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Difference between Parrot Dust & Parrot Dander.

lovethatgrey

I thought they were just two different words which meant the same thing. huh.gifApparently they're not.confused.gif

Would somebody be able to clarify the difference and point out which parrot species have what please?smile.gif Thanks!! I thought they were just two different words which meant the same thing. huh.gifApparently they're not.confused.gif

Would somebody be able to clarify the difference and point out which parrot species have what please?smile.gif Thanks!!

There's no difference other than what name they label it. Parrot dust is dander. Dander is parrot dust. Any normal type of household dust that may be in a bird area becomes heavier because dander is landing on top of it. That's why vacuuming needs to be done frequently. Greys have constant dander. Cockatoos have much larger amount of dander. Actually, they have the heaviest amount of dander. Cockatiels have dander but very little. Dander is a feather protectant but can also cause dry, itchy, scaly skin if not periodically washed off. In the wild, any bird with dander will bathe itself to get rid of dander that's become old and dirty. Parrots originating from Amazonia don't have it. The highest population of cockatoos resides in Australia and all the different types have dander but very few are kept as pets.

Those would be the tiny breast feathers and other areas that have tiny feathers. They're the ones that molt out once or twice a year and some also fall out once in a while during the whole year. They fall out and are replaced with others but those feathers shouldn't be confused or compared to flight and tail feathers. basically, that happens to all parrots.

All feathers, no matter what species of parrot have feathers that die. They simply dry up. It may be due to dryness, how old the feathers are, etc etc.

Nature has decided which species has what features or lack of. The climate in other parts of the world is very different than where greys come from which is very different in other parts of the world. Birds from some of these countries retain more moisture than other species. Birds in the various types of everglades all over the world are constantly surrouded by a very moist atmosphere.

Because of the climate of greys habitates , their feathers have a protective covering on their feathers to deal with extreme dryness. They remove that coating when it's time to remove it. New oils in the body of a grey quickly replace other feathers that die off when their life span is finished.

Why does all of these different things are the way they are? Only nature and the way the habitable areas of the world can answer that.

Well, when and if I get the sensory abilities of your dog, maybe I'll change my mind. Can you smell drugs at the airport hidden in baggage? Can you smell a dead body that's buried 6 ft under in the woods? I'd bet your dog can. I have a hunting dog and he's never gotten into a sniffing mode around the birds. And he's never wanted to chat with me about the odors or lack of odors that the birds have. He's simply not interested.

Thanks Dave for your answer, it is wonderful how nature evolves to their surroundings.

I've also not heard of parrots smelling other than Amazons which are renowned for their musty smell. Some people actually find it an offensive smell, however, I love the smell of Diego. His smell gets stronger if I have skipped his shower for a couple of days.