NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What is your 6 week old baby's activity level as far as playing, chattering and such?

lisamarie973

OK, my question really pertains to the activity level I should expect to see from Maui at this age. He seems to be much more alert in the last 3 days or so, playing with his new toys and even doing a lot of "baby talk" to me when I'm talking to him, which I think is the MOST precious thing in the world. My house is a busy house, I have 2 teen daughters, a German Shepherd, a Cat, Several other birds, to include cockatiels, lovebirds, eastern rosellas, gouldian finches and zebra finches, although the birds are on my screened in lanai area by the pool, and Maui is in the house. My house is kind of noisy, and I sometimes wonder if I should keep Maui in my bedroom simply for him to get some undisturbed rest.

This is my very first CAG, so although I've had other larger breed parrots in the past, I would love to get some feedback on what my baby should be doing at this juncture in time for his age. Also, how much should Maui be sleeping throughout the course of the day, currently he takes little naps here and there, but generally no longer than 1-2 hrs at a time.

My folks used to breed all kinds of different type birds and I have helped on many occassions hand feed the clutches of those birds who have had them. It's been probably 10 yrs ago since I've done this and I really wanted my breeder to continue to wean Maui, however, she felt it more important to go on vacation and get rid of Maui at 5 weeks of age to the highest bidder and to whom would pick him up ASAP so she wouldn't have to take him with her. I had been visiting Maui since he was barely 2 weeks old and found myself extremely attached to him, I've ALWAYS wanted a CAG, but my life was entirely too busy to devote the time and attention the bird would need, so decided to wait until my daughters were older and I was more settled. My girls are now 21, 18 and 16 and just don't need nor want my smotherly motherly love and attention like they got when they were younger.:)

To sum things up, the breeder called me to let me know that I needed to pick up the bird before Friday as she was leaving town and didn't want to take him with her, and that if I didn't, she had another "buyer" who could come right that moment to get him. So, of course you know what I decided, right? YES, I brought Maui home with me, gave the breeder all but $100 of her money and told her that the bird would be going immediately to the Vet's office for a full blood panel and check up, provided all was well, I'd send her the remainder of her money. My husband is a VET TECH for a VERY reputable AVIAN EXPERT DOC, here in Sarasota, FL. So, with my experience with feeding other baby parrots, my husband being a vet tech, knowing one of the best Avian Experts in town and having NO CLUE what the "other buyer" knew about birds and knowing that the breeder would "get rid of Maui" no matter what I decided, Maui is home with me.

Although I have hand fed before, I'm no expert and could really use some helpful pointers on raising a happy healthy baby. I'm very excited about my new lil boy and can't wait to develop a life long bond with him.

Here are a few photo's I took of him the day after we brought him home, I'm amazed at how steady he's become on his feet already, he used to fall over when he'd try to stretch his wing and foot, now, not so much. Also, he has more feathering already too!!

Maui 005.jpg

Maui 007.jpg

Maui 030.jpg

Maui 001.jpg

Beautiful Photos of your 6 week old Grey. They are so cute and everything is new to them. They grow so fast and are dependent upon you for everything. The behavior you are observing is normal and they do take naps often at the infant age. :)

I am looking forward to seeing many more updates, questions and photos. That baby is certainly in the right hands and thank god someone like you with previous experience got him.:)

A 6 wk old baby really doesn't do much of anything except eat, sleep, stretch and basically learn how to walk and manuever around. Lots of falling over happens. Any playing usually involves curiousity in whatever is around by the bird but he/she really has very little ability or strength to play hard. Chattering may involve low cheeps at times but not a lot. They're usually the noisest when the time comes to get fed and then they'll fall asleep again. Sleeping does take up alot of their time. Right now, they're very uncordinated.

The napping is normal. They do that all the time. That's what they would do if they were in the clutch. You really won't see a lot od sustained activity until the bird is older and stronger and has better balance.

Edited by Dave007

I'm sorry, this baby doesn't look right to me, #1, he looks under weight, #2, no crop, [looks like he hasn't eaten in a 8hr period] # density of feathers seem wrong along with body/wing size.....I offered my help but you never PMed me, Please PM someone tell them , what kind of formula and how much and how many times a day your feeding him, Jayd

Hello everyone!! Thank you all for your comments on my new baby!!! Just an FYI, the bird has been to an Avian Expert twice since we got him and has had a full blood panel to check for not only illnesses, but to be sure he was getting all the nutrition he needs. We got Maui when he was just under 5 weeks of age, so these pictures are from the day after we got him. He is now 7 weeks, today! and weighs in at 480 g, went to see Doctor Don again today, also, he is almost fully feathered with the exception of under his wings and his backside, I'm totally amazed at how fast those feathers come in, it's almost like you can see a difference day by day. The Doc says Maui is doing GREAT and is right on target with weight, coordination and all other aspects of a growing baby grey. My camera is in for servicing (flash isn't popping up), I will get it back either tomorrow or Saturday, I will be MORE than happy to share some more recent photos with everyone if you guys would like.

Jayd, I left you a PM to go into further detail about what Maui is eating, how much and how often. I appreciate your concern and would be more than happy to hear of any suggestions that you might think would be a beneficial change for my baby.

How old is Averi? Let me just say, Maui has grown leaps and bounds since we got him, he used to fit perfectly in the palm of my husbands hands, not anymore!!! My Mother came by today and couldn't believe how much he'd grown! I guess when you're with them all the time you don't see how drastic the change is, but Maui's Gramma sure did, she told him he'd better watch it or he'd have to go on a diet. (she was kidding) But, he really doesn't seem to be overeating, he eats about 45 ccs on average, I mean some feedings he'll take a little less, but only by 5 ccs or so. Is that Averi in your Picture? How sweet!!!! Aren't they just the sweetest? They sure can steal your heart!

He is so cute!!!! OH my goodness!

We got Sully when he was 12 weeks-- I wish I could have seen him when he was this tiny!! How exciting!

He certainly seems alert and active!

If I may suggest... til he gets a little bigger, if you feel he is a little intimidated by the other animals and commotion, give him a little stuffed animal to spend time with? I gave a little stuffed duck to sully until he became used to the noises of the house (cats knocking things over, mostly.) and he cuddled with it when he went to sleep with it for the first few days til he got comfortable. Make sure there are no bead eyes or loose fibers though!

He's a cutie! Good luck!

• 5 months later...