NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Identification questions

TheKismetGrey

Hi there!

I am posting in "health" because this is not a question regarding losing/finding a bird (although it involves the latter).

I was recently given a CAG that was found and picked up by a client of a coworker. It was terribly ill and had been seen in her neighborhood for weeks before she was able to catch him. Together we are still trying to find owners, however, this is a rather daunting task as this bird is a) not banded and b) not microchipped.

Basically I am waiting for him to feel comfortable enough around me to start babbling off all of his phrases (which he has many that he repeats when I am out of the room or he thinks I am asleep). I have a pen and paper on my nightstand, just in case :). Currently, all potential owners have provided a list of phrases (also on my nightstand) that can distinguish their bird from others.

This bird has OBVIOUSLY been loved, treated well and was an important part of the family.

That being said, here are the questions

Can I band this bird? Should I band this bird? What are your thoughts on microchipping and how widely used is it in the avian world (if I place a chip, would anyone even think to scan him?)

Regardless of whether or not I find original owners, it seems risky that there is a TOTALLY unidentifiable and fully-flighted bird in my house!! I also do not mind putting ID in place even if he goes back to his first home; he is such a love that I want to help him never be lost again.

Thanks in advance!

My grey is micro-chipped as I will do anything possible to see that she is returned to me if lost. It is my understanding that vets will check for a micro-chip at no charge. All someone has to do is find her and take her to their local vet and ask. If I contact my micro-chipper, it will contact all vets and pet stores n my area and provide me with posters to help me locate my Ana Grey. Ana Grey does have certain phrases that she and I use to interact. Phrases I doubt anyone else's grey would know. She can also mimic my canary singing and my pug barking to a T.

Thanks for the fast reply!

I work at a veterinarian's office and have for many years. Although I *knew* birds could be 'chipped, I have never been presented with a stray bird nor have I had to place a microchip in a bird so it never occurred to me!

It's perfectly stupid of me to not have that in the front of my mind, I mean, heck, everything I have is microchipped including my horse's saddle!

I am just worried that my stupidity would be universal for vet/techs/staff who do not routinely see avian patients, so chipping may end

up useless if the animal is presented to the wrong office.

(you are correct though, any office will scan for free. As will the humane society, animal control, and many rescue groups and/or dog trainers)

My concern with banding him is that he has a nervous habit of "sucking" his toes. He does not chew, he just holds his toenail like a pacifier. It seems likely that this may progress into something more (hope not) and a band may act as a catalyst.

That, and I have no idea how to go about obtaining a band!

IDK.

Can't I just make him promise to never leave home again? xD

I don't know if this is still true, but originally, all chips couldn't be read by all chip readers. Might check in a few different places to see about this. If this bird is chipped, you've got no way to know how old the technology is.

Good luck finding the owners & good on you for the effort.

If you band the bird, any information that's on it will only lead back to you.

If you chip the bird, all info would only lead back to you.

Neither will help you find the original owner.

""Basically I am waiting for him to feel comfortable enough around me to start babbling off all of his phrases (which he has many that he repeats when I am out of the room or he thinks I am asleep). """"

That's a sign of him feeling comfortable in his surroundings. Many greys won't say anything until everyone leaves the area. That may continue for a while. How long is anybody's guess. That lessens as the bird becomes more accustomed to the present owner and the present house and the people who live in it.

There's different opinions concerning chipping but just go with how you feel. Yes, it's extensively done. Success with it has to do with a bird actually being abled to be captured by another person which at times, is extremely difficult. Then that person would have to be nice enough to take the bird to a vet to check out chips. If he's flighted, he may have flown a great distance and run into a few problems which could be the reason for his temporary poor condition.

You may have to prepare yourself to open your house to a new family member.

Edited by Dave007

Today's readers can read every chip (if the chip was originally placed in the US) as the UK and other countries require a different type of chip.

However, even then, depending on the scanner, it may still be able to be read in the US.

They have done a good job making sure every domestic chip can be scanned, sometimes you do not know which brand it is, but a few phone calls and websites like 24petwatch.com can solve that!

I am very ready for a new member of my family :)

I have actually spent the last 6 months sending in applications to rescue groups, meeting birds and owners/rescues and having my house "inspected". I was only able to take this bird on such short notice because I had the perfect cage sitting there just..... waiting.

(Hence the name "TheKismetGrey" this bird is the exact personality I was looking for!)

I understand that banding/chipping will trace the bird only to me, however, microchips can have the information changed quite easily so if the original owner pops up it will not be a big deal. I was assuming the registries that handle the band info would be able to do the same thing.

People move, animals are rehomed, phone numbers change, emergency contact information changes, they have to be able to adjust information otherwise it's useless as a safety net and no one would care to use it.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to have to ruminate on this for a while...

Kudo's to you for caring so much about taking care of this Grey and especially knocking yourself out trying to confirm who the actual owner may be. Dave is always spot on in his replies.

I would lean towards Dave's thoughts on doing nothing in regards banding or chipping until you decide the Grey is going to be a member of your permanent flock due to no confirmed owner being found. :)

• 3 weeks later...

It has been done, and not much on the way of responses. Everyone either had a banded or microchipped bird. So we are once again, waiting to hear what he says as a means of identification.

The person who found the bird initiated all of that last month, and we are still in contact regarding potential owners.

You know, something as simple as listing your city and state in your profile would help other people in the general area (maybe even some on this board!) know there is a found bird that was obviously loved and maybe that little tiny factor would help the bird get back to its original family. I see that you did answer another poster's question as to where the bird was found but I've noticed over and over on this board that people will post similar posts as this one, and not make mention of where they are located or where the bird was found, and there are people all over the world on this board, so it would seem like a good thing to simply provide where the bird was found. (This is more of a statement to the board members in general, and not an attack of any sort, by the way.)

I hope the owner of this grey is found but if not then it looks like you may have what you wished for for I know that a lot of birds in foster homes end up staying in those homes but kudos to you for giving him a forever home if needed, every lost bird should be so lucky to end up in a home like yours, please keep us informed as to what happens.