NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Age so confused

Karcar

Hello,

I have a YNA she is about 2 1/2 years old and I have started noticing that when she is happy to see me she starts the regurgitation action with her bobbing head and the whole bit. I know this is a sexual behavior, Right? but isn't she too young to be doing this at her age?

Thanks for your help, Karen

Hi Karen, from what I know an Amazon can show signs of becoming sexually mature much earlier, however, are not interested in mating and breeding until 5-6 years.

Does she ever actually regurgitate anything or is it just the motion?

Regurgitation can also be a sign of a bacteria infection in the crop, if ever she regurgitates and it smells bad then it is best to get her checked with an avian vet, however from what you have said it sounds like she is just showing you how much she loves you. :)

Hi, This is part of the bonding process, it's normal and can start before the age of one, if you wish, you can give your baby tastes of Plain low fat yogurt a little a day, and watch the baby. When ever the do this, say Thank you, and walk away. Generally, a Zon sexualy matures between the ages of 5 and 12 years old. Thanks Jayd

Edited by Jayd

What about opening a probiotic capsule over her food if I do smell something, my grey loves yogurt my Lucy won't touch it.

She does it when I first get home and she starts yelling "Hello Sweetheart" and doing all of her tricks her tail is fanned out and she is making kisses sounds and singing then when I get close to her she starts with the head bobbing and regurgitation but nothing is really coming up that I can see and no smells either. We are best buds, but I guess I should walk away when she does that I almost feel like it will hurt her feelings, but I am a sucker for all of her little antics. I don't want to reinforce a neg. behaviour. I have been working on clicker training her and ONLY use positive reinforcement with all of my birds. My husband swears I pay more attention the them than him but I don't hear him yelling hello sweetheart and singing "How much is that doggie in the window" when I get home from work.

Smiles, Karen