NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Talking...

hbalkhi

I know I have to be patient about grey's talking. But I always and always repeat "Hello" to Aoodi and she never tries to say it, its been like 1 month or more since I started this thing. Aoodi doesn't know any words till now. I'm wondering why? And is there another way better than repeating?

Thank you... Hbalkhi :D

I've had my Grey now for three months (she's about 7-8 months of age) and she doesn't usually try to copy what I've said as soon as I say it. But then sometimes she'll sit on her cage and gurgle as though she's trying to sound out words. A lot of the time I think the Grey just needs to get the sound and find that they can make a sound in their throat before they can properly imitate people's words. I think they need to get their voice first before the words come. ;) Hope that helps.

Judy is right and most Greys do not start talking until around a year old. Also, they normally never practice in the prescence of a person as they calibrate in a very low voice which just sounds like mumbling if you are fortunate enough to even hear that. :)

We have three greys..one is 8 and he speaks very well, he was a re-home. The other two we brought home at 4 months. Our youngest is 16 months old and makes lots of sounds and quite a few words and a few sentences. Our 16 month old says a few things on rare occasions. They are both treated the same, just the 14 talks and talks and talks....so give them time. They pick up what they want and what interests them....have fun, soon enough they will surprise u !