NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New African Grey

graham

Hi everyone,I'm after getting a grey about 2 months ago,vet says shes fine & sexed her,shes about 8 months old & very friendly.I can hold her in my hands & she doesn't bite but sometimes when she plays on her back she can bite down a little too hard,is there any way I can encourage her to be a little less rough when it comes to play time,thanks?

Hello Graham and welcome to our family, so glad you found us and we look forward to hearing more about you and this new grey. Is her name Graham or is that your name?

Sometimes when a grey gets to playing hard they get kind of worked up and a little over excited and then they bite or press down more so back off a little when she gets too excited and let her calm down. Also you can tell her "no bite, go easy" or something similar and use it every time to let her know she is biting harder than you like and with repetition she should get the message that her biting in rough play is not acceptable.

You can give her some foot toys to play with that she can be rough with instead of your hands, my grey loves nothing better than to give a big heavy bell a rough time, she will bang that thing like she is mad as heck at it, they usually love stuff like that.

Please do read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

If you have any pictures of her you would share with us we would love to see them.

Thanks for the reply,my birds name is cleo & yes she does get very excited sometimes when playing,I do try her with foot toys but more often she throws these away,I think I'll have to get her a bell like you suggested.I post some pictures of her as soon as I get a chance,thanks again!