NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help me help an umbrella too! Should I even get involved?

jeanna

Sorry it's so long. I originally posted this on avian avenue, but I thought I'd post it here too.

My very spoiled grey's life is a stark contrast to the life of this 13(?) year old umbrella cockatoo that lives at a dive shop nearby. He stole a piece of my birdy-loving heart the first day I met him when he reached his foot out through the cage for my finger and put his head down for a scratch. He is such a sweetheart. So imagine my surprise when the employee was horrified that I put my finger through the cage saying that the bird bites. I know I shouldn't touch someone else's bird without permission, especially with a sign saying "do not touch the bird!!!" on the wall... but he looked so pitiful and starved of attention that I couldn't help petting him. Ever since then, whenever I visit the shop and approach him, he basically presses his whole body on the bars of his cage wanting scratches. This bird LOVES me and I've only seen him a handful of times over the course of a month. No worries, the owner gave me permission to pet his bird whenever I come in, provided that other customers don't see me. Apparently he bites most people and it's strange that he has taken to me immediately. I would love to improve this too's quality of life, I actually think about him all the time.

These are my concerns:

1. His cage looks barren. He has two natural wood perches at the same level and one short polly pastel perch higher up that does nothing for his overgrown nails. Not much variety and the cage is plenty big for several more perches of various sizes. There are few old toys. One is really plain but has big wood blocks for him to chew up, which is good. Then there's a plastic chain and something else I can't remember right now, both which look very old but not really played with.

- I'm thinking of buying him a big rope perch, a safety pumice perch, and some toys. What kind of toys do U2s like best?

2. He doesn't get much out of cage time. But there's always at least one employee there for like 10-12 hours every day. No one (besides his owner/owner of shop) takes him out and it's my understanding that he's mostly kept in the cage. Especially now that his nails can break skin when you hold him. He lives in the shop, so he sees customers a lot and I guess sometimes people will antagonize him. Also, his mate was rehomed after she almost died following repeated contact with a filthy guy (worked in lumber or something) who'd always come in and try to touch her with his filthy hands. She probably breathed in whatever was on his clothes because it was a respiratory disease. So there are definitely health concerns with the amount of people that come into the store.

- I would totally take him out and play with him for several hours a couple times a week at least. Hopefully his nails can be trimmed soon so that I won't lose the skin on my hand. But I can't do that when there are other customers in the shop so time with him will be limited anyway. He looks to be fully flighted so I'm not sure if I can take him out of the store either.

3. His diet is my main concern. He has a bowl of exclusively safflower seeds and a bowl of these colorful alphabet shaped pellets that probably aren't the best for him. As far as I know, he gets no other food. He's always licking his cage bars too. I'm not sure what the cage is made of, some sort of uncoated metal that's definitely not stainless steel.

- I'm thinking I could get some quality pellets for him and convince the owner to get rid of the safflower seeds. I sprout seeds, make birdy bread, and cook all the time for my bird, so it'd be no problem to bring some to the shop along with fresh organic produce that's always in my fridge. Are there any special needs specific to cockatoos or can I give him everything I give my grey?

In order for me to do everything I want for this too, it's going to cost me a good amount of money. But I'm willing to do that and commit some time to regularly visiting him. But what happens if he gets really attached and I'm unable to visit at some point? I don't want him to start screaming or plucking. I'm actually kinda amazed that he hasn't become a plucker.So do you guys think I should go ahead and do all this for this beautiful bird? Or would I be doing more harm than good if for some reason I can no longer continue to provide this extra care and attention for him (like if I move)? I have full permission from the owner to do whatever for the bird and come in however often and for however long. But I want to do what's best for the bird not just presently but in the long run.

The owner is an older man and the bird is only about 13 so with proper care, he'll definitely outlive his owner. What happens then or even before then if the owner decides to give him up? What if the bird and I get attached to each other? Do I offer to give him a forever home? I can't even offer that now because I have no idea where I'll be the next 5 years since I'm planning on grad school next fall which means possible relocation. I can take my grey with me wherever I go, but I'm pretty sure apartments/condos won't appreciate a cockatoo neighbor and I doubt I'll be living in an actual house until I'm ready to have kids or something. I know how many toos end up in sanctuaries and rescues and I'd hate for that to ever happen to him.

Also, whatever advice you can give me about U2s would be great since I'm not super familiar with them.

You might want to read my experiences with 'TOO's.....Post #33 and #37...http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190309-A-note-on-Punishment-and-your-Parrot/page2

One question,?What happens if you have to leave, as you mentioned?

I have no idea what happens if I leave. I'm hoping that I can inspire his owner to take better care of him. Do you think there will be any negative effects from me entering Cheerio's life and then possibly leaving a year later? I know that getting involved and providing him a lot of what he's currently missing will help him a lot, so I think I do want to go on with my plan. I'm just hoping that since my visits will be more sporadic than regular, that he won't come to expect me and get stressed if I don't show up.

So glad you rescued those toos! I know the owner loves his bird and does take him out at least, so it's not as bad as either of the cases you posted. But I do think there's unintentional neglect going on.

Thank you... If there's any bonding between the to of you, yes there could be problems. A 'TOO, bonds with one bird or person, sporadic visits, bringing hims food or gifts, he'll relate that and look forward to your visits...We don't know how our birds measure time, we do know they don't forget. Only a suggestion, take the toys, food, etc, give it to the owner to give to his 'TOO, with you out of sight so he won't relate to you, maybe the owner will get the hint, try to educate him, you would more or less,"look in from the outside", A 'TOO, is one of the most human connected birds there is...If things didn't work out, it could lead to plucking etc..

Jayd

What part of the world are you in, jeanna? Maybe there are some other members in your area that can help with this bird. (Not saying they should take over - just saying that when there is a bird in an unintentional neglect situation, sometimes it is helpful if more than one person gently educates the bird owner.)

Thank you so much for being such a caring person and for wanting what is best for this 'too and for reaching out and learning instead of just jumping impulsively in and possibly doing damage in the long-run. There should be more people like you in this world!

I think I will be able to give this bird a forever home if the owner gives him to me at some point. I'll plan around the birds in deciding my housing options, I don't think it will be as hard as I thought. One question I have is if a U2 and a grey will get along if they are both bonded to me? Or will they just be super jealous of each other and want to kill each other? I'd really like them to be able to keep each other company when I'm not home and at least be out of their cages at the same time in peace when I am home.

I agree, my TOO ignores my grey...BUT, if for some reason Jasper (grey) takes off flying, she puffs up and starts her dance. She also does this to the cats and the dogs...and the zu-zu pet (that electronic hamster thingy my daughter just HAS to have)

Their cages are next to each other but not to close to each other where they could reach through...maybe about 10 inches apart...or a foot...I like to think they keep each other company while we're gone but not sure....lol