NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Life Expectantcy?

Pauline

I would find a true Avian vet. It is obvious the vet you are presently seeing is not very knowledgeable of Parrots at all. Even a smaller bird like a cockatiel or conure can live to 25, much less a larger parrot that could possibly live to 60 or 70 years old.

They do not even reach maturity and breeding age until 5 or 6 years old.

I was always led to believe that Greys would always out live their owners, until the other day when i had to take my Grey to the vets. He told me that they only usually live till about 5/6 years. Is this true?

I told that to my 9 1/2 year old CAG and she wants to know what kind of drugs the vet was on

Oh my goodness, that scared me a bit when I first read your post! I would be devastated if either of my fids passed after that short of a life span. One thing that attracted me to birds was that they tend to live longer than other animals. After suffering the loss of dearly lived pets, it is somewhat comforting to think that with good care my birds will be with me for a long time. I would also be finding out what was injected into your baby...

I can't believe a vet said that!! Ridiculous. Greys can live anywhere between 50-70 years from what I've read. Some sources say 50 and others have said up to 70 and even 80 on one website. I think it depends on their lifestyle.

5-6 years. How stupid. I can't get over that!!! It's right what someone said in an earlier post, they don't even reach sexual maturity until they're about 5! Where did this person get their veterinary certificate from? eBay? Lol!

Edited by Cheshire Cat