NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Polly got cold :(

imran

hi everyone..

due to climate change in our city. it started raining a lot and became really cold..so my whole family caught viral infection.. cold, cough and fever..

one by one it spread to all and now polly caught it too :(

there are no vets around my place..

from 2 days he is just been sleeping and his right nostril is leaking mucus.. its white and clear like saliva.. he removed some from his mouth too..

his left nostril is clear and dry but his right nostril leaks at times and white salvia kind bubble comes out from it...

can some one help.. i gave him some steam with the steamer and he felt happy.

he has lost little weight too.. can some one help and give me some remedies since no vets are around..

thank you :)<br><br>Post edited by: imran, at: 2007/08/19 18:32

Guest Monique

You probably will need to drive Polly to a vet. Birds by instinct hide their illnesses very well. At the point they are displaying symptoms it can be very serious. If you cannot drive Polly to a vet then you need to get on the phone and have a phone appointment with one. I don't want to scare you but it's really really important for your birdy that you do this. Please let us know how you turn out!!

Hi Imran,

I am sorry to hear of your families and your Greys illness.

Monique is right, you need to drive, not matter the distance to a veteranarian to have him taken care of. If you do not, the possibility of losing your Grey is very high.

Imran Monique has given the best advice you really do need to contact a vet as soon as you can.

Heres just a few basic tips to help while you try & find a vet.

Warmth,

you need to keep your bird warm, If you have a heating pad or a hot water bottle wrap it in a towel & place under the birds cage,make sure it does not come in contact with the bird or cage,Place a thermometer near the cage to monitor temperature; keep it at 80-85 degrees.

Is your bird eating ?

You may have to give small amounts of soft food with an eyedropper or on a small spoon,this will help maintain nutrition.

Avoid any stress, cover the cage on two sides & on the top.

I do hope you can find a vet to help you.

Yes this sounds very serious... I see you are in India, and I think from the mail code a place called Pune. There must be some vets nearby, I found this link with possibilities:

http://www.bdbmr.co.in/foundation/dir10.htm

Don't know about the area there, but there must be someone you can call to get advice or guidance. It is serious when the bird starts showing illness - needs attention right away.

Stephanie

hey friends.. thanks a lot for your concern..

frankkie thank you so much..

ya i stay in india in pune..

and i found a vet next to my place.. but yest. was sunday and today was a national holiday being parsi new year.

i gave polly more steam and his cold melted.. he is eating well and he woke me up at 6 am and started his ususuall mimicry.. he played for 1 hr and ate and is fine now..

i ll get him to the vet tommorow.. but he is much better thanks a million this forum is really a help to all of us.. :)

Your bird is very sick. Even if he seems better birds are very good at hiding illness. And he was way to sick to be well over night.

Be sure to give us an update on his vet visit. I hope you were able to find an avain vet even if you have to drive a ways to get there it could save your birds life.

Hi Imran,

Thanks for the update. It's good news to hear that you have found a vet and are taking him. :-)

Please let us know how everything is going and what the vet says about it.

We all learn from incidents like this. You know the saying "Fore-Warned is Fore-Armed". The experiences we share with each other here helps us all become better caregivers to our Greys. :-)

Hi Imran,

Thanks for the update on Polly. It is great to hear that all is well now.

The provides some very good information on this illness and a few others.

Did the vet prescribe any drugs or just advise you to increase vitamins and or more veggies containing Vitamin A?

Guest briansmum

good to hear polly is much better and that it called for nothing more than a change in diet.

thankyou for alerting us to that page, i've added it to my favourites, i just hope i never need to use it.

hi everyone..

it makes me really happy tht he is fine now... its a relief :)

danmcq

the vet prescribed me with multi-vitamin drops used for babies (i ll get you the name soon at work now)

which i m supposed to give him 2 drops for 2 times a day..

i noticed polly is being playing much more now.. i think the vitamins giving him a boost :laugh: