NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I helped fix a Quaker :)

Tweedle

I met the most delightful little Quaker today, totally beautiful and sweet. The guys at work are a little scared of birds, so I get to do all the handling (hoorah for me!). She stepped up beautifully, even with a broken leg.

I performed her anaesthetic, and assisted my vet as she inserted a pin to hold together her tibiotarsus. Fiddly stuff. Calculated and administered the tiniest, tiniest doses of analgesia. I held her so carefully as she came round and she made a beautiful recovery, back to her delightful little self in no time. I really hope she heals well and regains full mobility and control. Fingers crossed.

I love my job.

:D

It may sound strange, but the euthanasia days are often some of the most satisfying. I'm very glad I am not the one making the decision, but if the vet and owner have decided it's the best thing to do, I take pride it doing it as well as it can possibly be done for that animal. And on those days, the things I say to the owner make an enormous difference.

You do get less personally affected after a little while - I think we'd burn out very quickly if we didn't. But I am glad that I am still connected enough to the people and the animals to still weep with and for them sometimes. I feel honoured to be alongside at those times.

But I am glad that I am still connected enough to the people and the animals to still weep with and for them sometimes. I feel honoured to be alongside at those times.

Remaining "Non-Calloused" is key in helping all through such a devastating loss. Thank God for people like you who truly understand and console as much as you can with your understanding.

I am very envious of the work you do, you are one lucky person to have such a wonderful job to go to. Not only have you a great job, but it also led you down the life path of having Pippa, who's outcome may not have been so wonderful if she had not found you!

Thank God for people like you who truly understand and console as much as you can with your understanding.

I second that!!