NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advice please ... raw materials

CocoaRocks

I'm going to be making some toys for Cocoa and would like some advice please

The stores in South Africa have very limited items, 'toy kits' are unavailable, to import them would make the cost astronomical. What is available in our stores are mostly made of pine brandering, raw hide, sisal, not all that adventurous and mostly the same from store to store with not much variety, the northern suburbs have better however these are imported and cost an arm and a leg. Have searched the web and have been unable to find any online stores in South Africa which stock kits etc.

Items available in order to make my own toys

Coconut shells - coconuts from the local grocer

Pine brandering - the wood is treated.

Raw hide

Sisal rope - also treated

Jute - also treated

Food colouring - what do I need to look for regards safety

Fisher price baby toys - i will be looking for suitable items however are the materials they use safe

Perspex - I have seen those cute foraging draws on the international sites. I'm going to attempt to make my own, what do I need to look out for regarding glue.

What process can I use to make ALL the above items bird safe?

Lego pieces - I have soaked these in a solution of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and rubbed them with a toothbrush - would this be sufficient.

I have some dead willow branches, I will follow the process as outlined in another post to make these bird safe

Anything that is treated (the wood, rope and jute) will not be safe so avoid these.

Coconut shells are fine and if you bake them in the oven a little it dries them out :)

Food colouring is fine for colouring wood and rope. Just dilute it down a little and if you add a little vinegar it makes the colours brighter.

Baby toys are fine - just be wary of anything with small rattle balls in them incase sharp beaks manage to break them out.

Glue I would avoid unless it can be hidden away from where your bird will get to.

Are you able to get a vetinary disinfectant like F10 for cleaning. This is excellent for ensuring all things are safely cleaned before giving to your bird.

I hope that is of some help

NikB, excellent response, and CocoaRocks, GOOD question....If I may, one of the best disinfectants, is Apple Cider Vinegar, it's used to clean :Hard toys, Cages, Perches, and we soak all our Fids Veggies in it, and rinse their dishes, it's 100% safe. Thanks Jayd

• Sad 1