NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help please

Finedon

Ollie is so bonded with us now he does not want to be in his cage at all if he comes out which is several times a day getting him back in is a nightmare. He flies out as soon as we put in on the perch with the quiet time phrase, he shoots out like a rocket. He is also bashing his feathers as he is playing very rough and then constantly climbing around the cage trying to find a way out, also he sits in the bottom of the cage scratching and digging his way out. We ignore him and try not to feed this behaviour, but at times it is so heart braking watching him trying to break out of the cage. He just wants to be out on heads and shoulders all day long, but as you all know it is not practical. What can we do. He has toys and radio or tv if he is left alone which is never for more than a couple of hours as we work from home. Also he has started screaming too like a young child like bird sound ish scream. Any thoughts folks, he is now around 4 months old is this normal for his age? We will not sit on his cage top or his play stand which he loved. We do NOT want to clip his wings as a friend suggested.

How long have you had him?

Mine did this for about the first week I had her (trying to get out, digging) but soon she stopped both behaviors altogether.

She was 3 months old at the time, and that was 2 months ago.

I suppose you just have to put him back and teach him that when you put him away, he needs to occupy himself with his toys/food/etc.

good luck with your Grey.. sounds like a lot of fun with your flighted CAG. Mine was clipped when I bought her unfortunately.

Have you tried adding any foraging toys in the cage? You can find lots of ideas on how to make inexpensive ones without buying any. Diego also hates his cage, but he does seem much calmer when he is focusing on getting some treats out of something. It's a great way of distracting them and keeping them occupied. Also put these foraging toys onto his play stand to encourage him to stay there. :)

We do NOT want to clip his wings as a friend suggested.

I personally don't think this will help but only make him more frustrated and restricted.

Edited by GoDiego

Ollie's full-flighted wings aren't the issue, so thank your friend for the idea and let Ollie keep his flying status.

Ollie's behaviour is pretty normal for a four-month old. Many of them will decline as he gets older, but these antics represent a great training opportunity that will yield great returns later on. Ollie needs to have some kind of motivation to go into the cage, whether it's quiet time, sleep, food, toys, whatever. He may have some, but it sounds like the desire to get right back out is getting in the way.

Our birds go into their cages without fuss because they've been trained to do so. Ollie needs the same attention. Take his favorite treat and use it from outside the cage as a lure to go into the cage on his favorite perch. Two or more treats initially is ok, and using positive verbal reinforcement is a requirement every time. Over time, you can reduce the treats to where you won't need them, but again, be sure to reward with the verbal positive reinforcement.

Also, don't turn around a leave right away. That action on your part teaches Ollie to beat you back outside so he doesn't get left behind. Take the time to sit and chat for a few minutes (only if he behaves). If he acts up, just sit quietly until he calms down, give a treat and a positive verbal response and begin chatting. In time, he'll discover that cage time doesn't have to be a bad experience. In fact, continue the training so that he'll fly back to his cage on command and go inside for the evening. It's a pure joy to watch our birds fly from their cage to us and return when asked to do so.

A question: do you have any kind of outside-cage play area adjacent to the cage? If not, you may want to introduce something. It's another way to improve the "cage experience."

Hope this helps!

I am retired so I am able to be home with my fids. They are flighted (even Sully although he doesn't fly) and they are out of their cages all the time except at night. I have hanging perches, playstands, a branch stand and boings and a cargo net throughout my home in the areas where I spend most of my time. Ana Grey is my diva and likes to be with me a lot. I do not allow her on my shoulder and because she is flighted I just shoo her away and she goes to a neutral perch or boing. I have a plant stand in my kitchen in front of the sliding glass door with bird friendly plants that Ana Grey and my canary love to hang on. I have a large bird swing there and Ana Grey or Cappy are always swinging away. A lot of foraging toys and wood toys are also at these locations. My older eclectus, Sully, is a screamer and he is very set in his ways. If he screams I just sing to him and it quiets him down. Either my singing is terrible or he is reassured by my voice that I am still around. You have to set the boundaries and like with a child you must be consistent or your bird will be in the driver's seat. I talk to my fids all the time and let Ana Grey sit on the back of my computer chair on a towel and she is happy just to be with me. I hope you will keep your Ollie flighted. When I got Ana Grey she was clipped and it was heartbreaking to watch her struggle to take flight. Believe me being unflighted will not stop the digging or screaming problems; it that will only increase them. Redirecting Ollie is the way to go.

Guest jamalbirdbiz

My femail Molly screams most of the time when she is approached by weird people she doesnt know and she dive bombs most people she views as a threat which is almost everyone but me and mines. She likes to do this mostly when we go grocery shopping together. i ams used to it by now and have learned to just look the other way. its why i am in her life. i am her rock and she knows it and i let her do whatever she want whenever she wants. i let her be the bird she wants to be. i suggest you do the same regardless of what certain people tell you.

The reason not to take Jamal's advice is explained quite well by him in his post. His bird does as it pleases, it randomly attacks people and screams. This is not a well adjusted companion bird, but sounds more like a menace. This of course is not the bird's fault, as it does not know any better. Rather the responsibility lies with the owner. Instead I suggest you take the advice of the other posts. Good luck with your baby!

My femail Molly screams most of the time when she is approached by weird people she doesnt know and she dive bombs most people she views as a threat which is almost everyone but me and mines. She likes to do this mostly when we go grocery shopping together. i ams used to it by now and have learned to just look the other way. its why i am in her life. i am her rock and she knows it and i let her do whatever she want whenever she wants. i let her be the bird she wants to be. i suggest you do the same regardless of what certain people tell you.

I am a big believer in promoting and working alongside a parrots natural instinct, however letting them do whatever they want whenever they want for most people is not possible to live in harmony with each other. It may work for you, but if everyone followed your advice then there would be even more problem parrots in sanctuaries looking for new owners. I also think that how you want a parrot to behave in your own home is up to you, however, if you have an aggressive bird with strange people why take it out to the local shops? Looking the other way so you cannot see other peoples reactions is in my personal view irresponsible, don't forget not everyone likes birds and some even have a phobia of them. To have a large parrot flapping, screaming and dive bombing people would be pretty scary for most.

One other to thing to think about also Jamal, is if you mean you are actually taking your greys out to stores and they attack people. Many by natural reaction will hit or grab whatever it is attacking them This can kill a 1 pound bird or any bird for that matter very easily. It also would damage the publics view of Parrots and their owners.

Same with a bad behaving dog, if it runs at me with an obvious intent to bite, I'll kick the crap out if it, because I will not suffer a bad bite from something that is determined to harm me or maybe one of my family. If the owner objects and becomes aggressive, I'll kick the crap out of them as well.

We should not expect people in public to react any different when they are attacked by either a very mean or Ill behaved pet that should NOT be out in public where they can harm innocent bystanders. That is infringing on their rights to be safe and secure when out in public.

I don't know how many times it's gotta be said but I'll say it again for those who aren't familar with a certain ongoing problem here.

For the longest time,myself, Dan and others have constantly told jamalbirdbiz ( I don't even wanna take the time to type out his name) to stop giving out loads of the craziest information about loads of subjects. He has absolutely no idea about what he's talking about. He has no qualms about giving out these types of idiotic statements and although many of the members who've been here a while already know about him, many new people don't know, which is the reason I type this out. Some new people might even think that what he says to do may be legitimate and that's definitely dangerous.

The problem is that he has a brain the size of a walnut. He's told over and over to stop saying crazy things but it's extremely hard to penetrate the very hard shell of a walnut. So, take what he says with a grain of salt and remember that he's basically a mental midget.

Edited by Dave007

Excellent post Dan and I echo your comments as I would do the same but Jamal has shown in the past that he is one minded when it comes to his greys and to allow them to do as they please whenever they please is irresponsible on his part as being a parront. I can only imagine what his reaction would be if someone took offense to an attack by one of his greys and they retaliated with physical violence to his bird, surely he would then blame the other person like so many do, its no wonder that a few bad apples spoil the whole bushel.

I have tears in my eyes, my heart hurts. Jamalbirdbiz advice is most certainly not wise, but he's still a human being. We don't have to listen or take his advice, but we don't have to judge or call him names either. Have not each of us blown our own horn to loudly, one time or another? We were all given the ability to express ourselves with out belittling others...

Agreed Jayd that we don't have to listen (read) or take his advice, but as pointed out before, some people may actually take what Jamal says as sage advice, and end up doing more harm to their bird than good, and a warning about the dangers of such advice needs to be highlighted. He considers himself an expert on parrots and behaviour, as was evidenced recently with the little banner he added as his signature, advertising just that.

I wonder perhaps if people are becoming frustrated and annoyed with the ongoing issues Jamal is creating. Dave stated Jamal has been told on more than one occasion to stop posting potentially harmful information, yet he persists. If the message cannot get through in a nice way (which I am sure the other moderators and members have already tried), then perhaps a less subtle manner is being called for.

Guest jamalbirdbiz

at least jayd is of the human race and has a heart. my two greys are rescues who were both plucked upon arrival and molly was about to be put down by her selfish breeder who allowed her to get attacked by other mates after her origina l mate died and she plucked herself to the point of being bald out of despair. my wife was at the vet with marvin grey when she over heard her sad condition and saved her from being put down because she wasnt making viable eggs. she has overome a alot in a short period of time and has grown all her feathers back and she even talks and does tricks when she feels up to it. if she feels like attacking people who touch her witout permission well then they should learn to respect a bird's space. people shouldnt go around attempting to grope respectable birds. i would NOT allow anyone to hurt my bird. i would put a stop to it b4 it happened. thanks for the support jayd. you know how to be a nice human and i like that.

then perhaps a less subtle manner is being called for.

All you've said is true.....including your quote!!! I'm not standing up for what jamalbirdbiz said or doe's, I'm condemning how we react in return! So be it, who am I to question what language we use, or how we treat our fellow man, right or wrong.....There's a lot of ways to be subtle with out inflecting verbal pain, or name calling.....I won't cross that line... My part in this thread is over... nor will I join into any thread or post that resorts to name calling to make a subtle point, right or wrong...Jayd

Edited by Jayd

I think this is very good advice!! I would add get him a TON of foot toys for his cage time. My grey Gordon Loves his foot toys. Just be sure they are safe...ie will not snag a toenail or get caught on his foot. He sounds like a verycute little guy. My Gordon is 3.5 now, and I miss those days when he would scratch like that. Baby Greys do this scratching at the bottom of the cage. In time Ollie will mature and stop doing that. :( He will be a big boy then. A very cheap toy idea would be take his favorite snack and roll it up in a piece of newspaper and twist the ends shut like a candy wrapper. Birds love working for their food. Greys are also bottom feeders. Try putting snacks at the bottom of his cage (try to place somewhere that he cant potty in it) in a shallow crock dish or bowl. Gordon loved when i tried this with him. its also extra work for him to get down there to eat.

Jamal - This last response is how most people like to be communicated with. It is in plain English, good sentence structure and intelligible to read, versus the way you normally post. As you know from the previous old forum, issues and negative comments towards you were always due to bad advice and some really off the wall way out there advice on what a new bird owner should do in various situations. Thus your being banned previously. We as moderators and admins have given you a second chance on this new forum. As long as you maintain good advice, readable and understandable posts, you will remain a member of this forum. But, I will say, if bad advise that is dangerous to new parrot owners and their birds continue after you have been told over and over that your advise is wrong and dangerous to these bird owners. I will ban you once again and it will be forever.

I am not going to take sides on who's right or wrong, but I will say, some people have obviously grown very tired and infuriated at many of your posts content.

So, take advantage of our patience and post readable and good advice, if you post at all.

Thanks - Dan