NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

first aid kits for birds?

Lex

Do you have a first aid kit for your Birds? did you buy it some where? i`m on the look out for one in the UK and haven`t seen one as of yet so if you guys do before me could you link it for me. MANY THANKS. Good idea to have one me thinks in case!!

This is very specific to my bird's respiratory problems, but I have a bin bag and a diving cylinder of oxygen enriched air and hose to make an emergency oxygen tent when required!! I've used it twice, and a 20 minute treatment relieved her dyspnoea.

*Note: I'm a veterinary nurse, and would be the person administering her treatment when taking her into the vets. If anyone else's bird ever has breathing difficulties TAKE THEM STRAIGHT TO A VET.

I would imagine in most medical emergencies, that would also be the advice, so as well as a first aid kit, a 'catch the bird quickly and get them to the vet' kit is necessary. There was a thread recently about disaster/evacuation preparedness, that might have some good ideas.

Hi, the #1 thing you need is :Styptic powder for bleeding, you can mix hydrogen peroxide 10 to 1 for a rinse, followed by clear water rinse, You can use Neosporin Cream, [only cream] for foot scrapes,[lightly], Aloe-Vera Gel for bare raw skin [dry], and Aloe-Vera juice,[to mist dry skin/feathers], on the way to the Vet!!!

Basic First Aid Kits. Used for possible minor problems that happen from time to time.

Thin strips of gauze

toothpicks

Ice cream popsical sticks

cotton balls

needlenose pliers ( may be needed to use in an emergency )

Quik Stop or other type of blood stopper.

Aloe vera gel

1% cortizone cream

thin strips of bandages and First aid tape ( preferably clear)

small strips of thin towels

1 sock with the foot area totally cut off. Make sure it's roughly the same size as your grey. Length should be 6/7 inches.

1 small bottle of purified or spring water to be used at room temperature

An addon complements of Spinner (Dave)

1 - A roll of vet wrap is an essential item - it is a simple way to wrap the bird to restrain an injured wing. Remember, not tight - just loosely wrapped. Have a couple 12-18 lengths pre-cut. A sock is another method, but I find the vet wrap to be easier to put on when dealing with an injury.

2 - A couple of towels - one a soft bath towel, the other a thinner kitchen towel.

Edited by Dave007

Dave, great list. I have two other items in my "crash kit" that are for restraint and transport.

1 - A roll of vet wrap is an essential item - it is a simple way to wrap the bird to restrain an injured wing. Remember, not tight - just loosely wrapped. Have a couple 12-18 lengths pre-cut. A sock is another method, but I find the vet wrap to be easier to put on when dealing with an injury.

2 - A couple of towels - one a soft bath towel, the other a thinner kitchen towel.

• 2 weeks later...