NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Cute Little Stinker is Buzzing

caleigha

My CAG, Chili, has started doing something that is a bit naughty and wanted to get your ideas on how to best handle it.

He is fully flighted and loves being in the kitchen with me. He has a play stand in the kitchen with toys he enjoys and I rotate them so he doesn't get bored, but he also likes to go on top of the kitchen cabinets. I don't mind him up there except the past few days he has started tearing up the molding that goes around the top, and I can't let him do that. I'm pretty sure my husband would have kittens if he tore up the cabinets.

So today when he was up there I pulled a chair over so I could reach him. I held my hand up, he said "Step up," he stepped up, then bit me hard. I just ignored the bite and brought him to his play stand.

He flew up again. Except this time when I stood up on the chair he attacked my head. He buzzed me and grabbed at the top of my head and flew to his play stand. He did it a second time and now he is back in his cage. Saying, "Wanna go back in your cage? Be nice or go back."

Yep - he got that right. :) I left him in his cage for about 10 minutes, but just now brought him back into the kitchen with me and he is happy on his play stand. Did I handle it right? What else can I do to help him understand and obey that rule?

BTW - my 16 year old thinks I should be politically correct and call him an African-American Grey. :D Lol.

Yes you did handle this right. A bird does need to know the limits, and showing that there are consequences to certain actions, such as "time out" in the cage is the way to go. Punishment (such as shouting, hitting, waving fingers etc) does not work, and can do serious damage to your bird's psyche and the bond you have with him. Consistency is the key, so give him a warning when he does something he should not be doing. For my bird, I simply say "Cleo, NO" to her in a firm voice and raise one finger to get her to pay attention to me, and if she carries on, I ask her if she needs to go back to her cage. Usually I get a sideways look (the "are you kidding me...." look), and she stops. Admittedly it did take some time for her to understand the whole action/consequence issue, but she's good as gold now.

As for the bite, not reacting is also the best thing to do. By reaction, you would inadvertently be reinforcing the behaviour, as a loud squawk from you can be very entertaining for a grey. It's just his way of showing you he was not happy with you stopping him from having a lovely chew on your cupboards. As for the buzzing, as Jayd said, he is pushing the limits. He wants to see what you will let him get away with.

Birds in the wild live in a flock, and they look for a strong leader, as their survival depends on this. Other birds will test the leadership from time to time, and a companion bird may well do the same, just instinctual behaviour.

So yes, you did great! Be firm, be gentle, and be consistent is the key!

Birds in the wild live in a flock, and they look for a strong leader, as their survival depends on this. Other birds will test the leadership from time to time, and a companion bird may well do the same, just instinctual behaviour.

Azzie, sorry,There's no hierarchy in the parrot world.A flock is a group, they live and work together. If I may, I'd Like to Quote DanMcq from his thread,

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190309-A-note-on-Punishment-and-your-Parrot/

Quote: One thing everyone that just brought their first Parrot home should understand, is that a Parrot does not respond to punishment like a domesticated animal such as a Dog or Cat. They have been truly domesticated and most have a pack mentality. Meaning that they respect and look up to their pack leader. It is always the strongest, quickest and most ferocious fighter out of that pack. When it weakens, there is always a young strong contender just waiting to take them down and become the new pack leader. They are Predators and act as such.

With that fact established, a bird of any sort, is a flock member and view the world and their society as such. They are all equal in every aspect. There is no pack leader. There is no striving for such as position or fights over it. They work together as team to survive. They are the prey of many animals. To be away from the flock, means certain death in most cases. Un-Quote...

As a very quiet aside.......there is also debate over the application of pack theory to dogs.......some studies show free ranging dogs only form very loose, temporary packs, if at all. There may be a linear hierarchy amongst the females, and another amongst the males, and the two vary against each other with time. Much of dog-dog interaction can be viewed as about resources, or resource holding potential, which varies with time and circumstance (do I REALLY want to pick a fight over that pasty today?) rather than an absolute hierarchical status.

I think humans like the concept of 'dominance' rather more than Mother Nature does....

/end off topic ramble :P

Jayd thanks for the correction. I do recall having read articles before I got Cleo that explained the whole "flock leader" thing, but I am quite willing to accept that these are incorrect = )

Azzie, Your post was grey't, I could have read a later study then you did. There's nothing wrong with what you wrote....Don't ever stop sharing your feelings or beliefs on this forum..

We only accept what we believe! Opioions change daily, something new is always put forth......Jayd

Note: There are articles on the net that say what you've said...