NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help find the right bird for me?

iEgg

I've decided that if I am getting a parrot, I want it to be an Amazon.

Now the question is, which 'Zon is right for me?

I want a 'zon that will want to hang around me with whatever it is I'm doing at home. I would like a talker, but one that I can hopefully train to not scream if it does. I'm looking for an affectionate bird, one that knows me and that I'm his/hers.

Size... I guess a medium sized bird is good for the space I have available.

Any suggestions?

I've decided that if I am getting a parrot, I want it to be an Amazon.

Now the question is, which 'Zon is right for me?

I want a 'zon that will want to hang around me with whatever it is I'm doing at home. I would like a talker, but one that I can hopefully train to not scream if it does. I'm looking for an affectionate bird, one that knows me and that I'm his/hers.

Size... I guess a medium sized bird is good for the space I have available.

Any suggestions?

Ok, All Zon's are unique unto themselves.....I suggest a Lilac-Crown or a Mealy, a Blue- Front is another good choice...Stay away from a DBL Yellow-Head..Here's more reading....

http://www.avianweb.com/amazons.htm

Thanks Jayd!! You're very helpful!!!

I was talking to my manager at work tonight and told him I was interested in possibly getting a blue front amazon and he had nothing but good things to say about 'zons. I'm pretty excited for getting my bird!

Right now I'm surfing through craigslist for some deals on a nice sized cage for the bird. Can I put the cage next to a window? Is direct sunlight bad for the bird?

I typed out a reply earlier on my phone, but I guess it never made it through lol!

I agree on the LCA, my Hardy is so mild tempered even though he is a rescued-wild caugh-neglected breeder-rehome. He is smaller than my grey and my eclectus, but only by a little. He doesn't talk though, and I've heard it isn't that common for them, but you never know. We are unsure of his gender, honestly I think he is female. I'm tempted to get him DNA sexed when he has his next vet visit.

I also agree to stay away from the yellow headed amazons. The woman who rescued Hardy has had them and although she loved them to pieces, she described them as bipolar lol!

All of my birds are next to windows. You want to be careful of drafts, so make sure the windows are literally air tight. Also you want them to have shade, so put a curtain or blinds on them. Now I don't completely shade my cages. The blinds are pulled halfway up the cage length so that the birds can decide if they want sun or not. On a chilly morning Rosie(eclectus) will sunbathe and they all like to stare outside from time to time.

Sunlight is good for them, just like it is for us, though most newer windows block out a lot of the helpful rays. I will a lot of times open the window on a nice day so they can get fresh air and sun.

I just came across someone who is looking to rehome their Red Lored Amazon. She's unsure of her age, and the bird plucked most of it's feathers, but they're growing back... I'm going to ask her about the bird.

I typed out a reply earlier on my phone, but I guess it never made it through lol!

Sunlight is good for them, just like it is for us, though most newer windows block out a lot of the helpful rays. I will a lot of times open the window on a nice day so they can get fresh air and sun.

Sunlight is a necessity to staying alive to our fid's, a window blocks 98% of UVB rays, Sunlight or UVB/UVA Full Spectrum indoor lighting is the only way our birds get D3. This needs to be provided for them on a daily basis. Being next to a window, depends on the bird, some birds need a wall or a corner with two walls to feel secure from predators....Thanks

Jayd

I just came across someone who is looking to rehome their Red Lored Amazon. She's unsure of her age, and the bird plucked most of it's feathers, but they're growing back... I'm going to ask her about the bird.

Please read up on rescue birds and types of Zons before you decide...This would not be a good choice, it would require a prompt Vet Visit and a lot of personal care besides adapting it to you....Jayd

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190309-A-note-on-Punishment-and-your-Parrot

To recover from stress problem's can take years!!! No matter how hard you try, or how much you do, sometimes feathers never grow back!!! Ask Janet [Luvparrots, Look at my Freddy, read the threads!!!!! Something caused the problem, then it's you job to find out why, and try to correct it, a 24/7/365 job, the problem could be as simple as you leaving him alone for a couple of hours... We had to get up at sunrise and sit with him each day, till we could change or sleeping time.You have to adapt to the bird, not the bird to you!!!

Thanks

Jayd

The woman who has the bird now adopted it from a shelter.

Here's the ad

"I have a Red-Lored Amazon in need of a new home due to a move. She (or I associate her as a girl). She is not sexed and I am not sure of her age as I adopted her from a rescue. She is very tame and loves to whistle. She would love nothing more than to sit on your shoulder and be scritched. Much is not known of her history, she has plucked her feathers before I adopted her, but they are growing back. She loves attention, but will let you know when she wants to be left alone. I believe that she would be good for someone who has never had birds before, but she can smell fear a mile away :) If your scared of her she will be scared of you. She has just started to say Pretty Bird, but I know she says more words than that. Give her time and she will talk away. She is fed fresh fruits and vegetables along with oil seeds to promote feather growth, and is given a supplement to help with feather growth. She loves to sit on her perch on the end table and watch T.V. When she is in the mood she loves to bob to music, she loves to be louder then you if you are in the middle of a conversation and she wants attention."

Based on how she described the bird, it doesn't seem like it should be overwhelming or is that just me being naive?

It really all depends on the bird. My Rosie is a plucker, but she grows her feathers back very quickly once she stops plucking. Within a couple weeks you can see little fuzzy tips all over. A bird from a worse plucking background would definitely take longer. As I said in the chatbox, it depends on how long and how serious she plucked. If this was the first time or if it has gone on for years.

You might be right or you might be naive. It all depends on how you connect with that bird. I have 3 rescues currently and have dealt with others before. As I mentioned my Rosie was a plucker. She hadn't plucked in a long time when suddenly she started again because her best friend died. I've only had her new friends for -2months and her neck is already full of pinfeathers waiting to fill out.

Honestly, from the picture she looks like a serious plucker, but it was only 1 picture. And usually once a bird plucks, they will be much more prone to plucking under stress. Moving to a new home will be stressful and you should expect plucking.

And I would absolutely meet with her multiple times before committing. If you 2 connect, if she seems honestly inlove with you, then I'd say go for it.

My Rosie literally jumped on my shoulder and started trying to feed me the moment I met her. It was a scary first encounter for me, but she apparently was inlone. She has never had a single problem adjusting to her new home or new life and it wasn't until her best friend died did she get stressed.

Norma was similar, she instantly liked me and wanted me to touch her. She was a breeder who hadn't even been out of her cage in over 6 years, but she wanted to step up and taste me and talk to me.

I've met plenty of birds who didn't though. There was another grey and 2 B&Gs and an amazon on the day I met Norma and they all lunged at me like they wanted to bite and just stared me down like they would eat me, but not Norma.

I think if you have that kind of connection when you meet her, then you won't have as much of a problem. Your work will still be cut out for you and it will still be stressful and it still might not work out, but if you have an instantly strong bond the hope is good... and if you don't... I'd move on until I found a bird that you did have that bond with.

But not just you having the strong bond, but the bird too. Itll be obvious is the bird likes you. Itll want you to hold it, want you to pet it, want to check you out, etc. You will feel it if it is there. Don't be discouraged if it isn't...

The woman who has the bird now adopted it from a shelter. #1. She has baggage, How many home has she been in?

"I have a Red-Lored Amazon in need of a new home due to a move. She (or I associate her as a girl). She is not sexed and I am not sure of her age as I adopted her from a rescue. She is very tame and loves to whistle. She would love nothing more than to sit on your shoulder and be scritched.

Much is not known of her history, she has plucked her feathers before I adopted her, but they are growing back. #2. Some of our plucker will sometimes let nubs grow in, and then repick them...

She loves attention, but will let you know when she wants to be left alone. I believe that she would be good for someone who has never had birds before, #3. What makes her say that? but she can smell fear a mile away :) If your scared of her she will be scared of you. She has just started to say Pretty Bird, but I know she says more words than that. Give her time and she will talk away. She is fed fresh fruits and vegetables along with oil seeds to promote feather growth, and is given a supplement to help with feather growth. She loves to sit on her perch on the end table and watch T.V. When she is in the mood she loves to bob to music, she loves to be louder then you if you are in the middle of a conversation and she wants attention."

#4. Diet. Her diet is completely wrong, "Oil Seed's" [black sunflower oil seeds] A Amazon is prone to fatty tumors! Zon's are feed a low fat ,medium protein diet, they tend to be fat!! A properly feed bird needs no supplements unless ordered by a avian Vet!!! As for fresh fruit, it's kept to a minimum!!!

Based on how she described the bird, it doesn't seem like it should be overwhelming or is that just me being naive?

If it was me, I'd take her in a heartbeat, My only concern is," Are you ready to take on this bird with many unknown problem, For Life? with out ever returning her to a shelter or getting rid of her?.. Have you thought about what of her many problem's your going to attempt to take care of first? I'm sorry Rrrma, just because a bird perches you one or two time, isn't a guarantee that there will be a bonding, and not everyone is right for re-homing a rescue bird..This last line says it all: When she is in the mood she loves to bob to music, she loves to be louder then you if you are in the middle of a conversation and she wants attention."....

Jayd

Edited by Jayd

eh, you'd have to have been there to feel it, plus I visited her for weeks before I brought her home. I'd never have brought her home based on that one moment, as I myself didn't know what it meant. I left the store feeling very awkward, not in love. It was an unnerving experience, to have an animal "attack" you with... um... whatever she was doing. It wasn't until I visited her more than I realized that was her "I love you" thing. She knew it, but I didn't.

I'm just saying that I think the BIRD picks us, not the other way around. Maybe I'm not clear enough. Meet with her multiple times and if she is uninterested, walk away... is what I am trying to say. Don't take her because she is in a sad position or because she is cheap, take her because you think she will honestly be happy with you. Some birds just don't like some people, and I think that is obvious from the start.

It was a long shot anyway, she rehomed the bird yesterday.

Yesterday my manager told me that I should google Bird Fairs and next time there is one, to go to it and find a breeder and talk to them. The earliest one I found was October I think...

It was a long shot anyway, she rehomed the bird yesterday.

Yesterday my manager told me that I should google Bird Fairs and next time there is one, to go to it and find a breeder and talk to them. The earliest one I found was October I think...

That sounds good....

Make sure the breeder you decide on is reputable. The last bird fair I was at, a "breeder" was selling grey babies for $400, because they weren't perching "right" (feet deformities). The people were eating them up simply because the other breeders were asking over twice as much for their healthy babies. Not all breeders are created equal.

Diego is a Blue Fronted, although he is affectionate he is definitely not a cuddly bird. He is very playful and prefers to be hanging upside down from our fingers, rolling on his back with a toy, getting into everything he should not and generally making sure that he has our attention in some way for most of the day. Although he is not a screamer, he is loud like with most Blue Fronted Amazons, there is always a Diego noise going on in the background but I personally enjoy this. Blue Amazons can be temperamental and Diego requires a lot of respect when he is having an off moment. Ignoring his off moments could result in a bite, although this has not happened as yet as we all know in my household to walk away and let him get on with it.

If you are looking for a quieter, more placid Amazon I think the Red Lored and the Mealy are definitely ones to consider. However, even these can adopt behaviour problems if not handled correctly so is not a guarantee to a perfectly well behaved and cuddly parrot.

I am in no way trying to put you off having a Blue Fronted as before Diego I had no experience what so ever with parrots and was warned that this type of Parrot was a bad choice for my first. I've found that Diego is a perfect companion for us and so far he has fitted into our family like he has always been there with no serious problems so far. However, he is hard work and is not a parrot that is one to sit in the background, so this is worth considering if thinking of this type of species. :)