NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Thermo Perch?

iEgg

My opinion is that it's a waste of money. It's just another item on the market that manufacturers advertise the benefits of such an item. Think about the 1000s of birds both indoors and outdoors who never used a *thermal perch* for many years. There's plenty of items that are sold for birds, dogs, cats and other pet creatures that are also a waste of money. A simple type of advertising that appeals to people who are trying to do the right thing for their pets. Loads of people simply go out and buy a concrete perch which the bird perches on and many times it keeps the claws short or blunt and also for scraping beaks. PLUS, your bird may not even like it.

Edited by Dave007

My grey likes the thermo perch. I live in a colder climate and am happy to know if he is a little chilled he can sit on it. Also I understand parrots feet are the first way for us to know when they are chilled. I 've noticed this to be true with my bird. The perch keeps a steady temperature and takes electricity the same as a light bulb.

I got one, and mine does not even go on it. But that was when I was in Ca, now in Va, I am hoping it won't be a waste of money in the winter. It is not in the cage now, but when it was I would put him on it and he would just climb right off. So as of now, waste of money.

I should have mentioned my grey did not use the perch the first winter. I put it away thinking it was a waste of money. He is typically suspicious of all new things, as are most greys I guess. Although I ended up happy with this purchase, I'll admit I've been "a sucker" plenty of times.

• 2 weeks later...

It does seem sketchy to me. I have wondered about cold tolerance in my Grey, though. We rarely heat our house, as coastal California is mild, but it does get chill at night. I also have wondered about it being brisk outside in the morning when Lulu gets walked. My bird store lady says it's not a worry -- they have down.

At what point do you worry about cold stress?

:) Sir, as we both know, rapid temp rise or fall is probably more of a concern then a acclimated consistent temperature is. We keep our Greys at a year round 72-74 degree's. I've heard of people keeping them outside, year round in Florida..Amazons and Conures live outdoors year round in San Fran.:o Shortly south of San Diego is Amazon and other parrot country.....

Thanks Jayd

I have one and my gray loves it. I live in southern California but those of you from here know the nights get quite chilly.

I went out on a limb and bought one of these from amazon. When I got it I put it in the cage and allowed him to step down on it to give it a shot. The hard plastic or whatever material the perch is made out of seemed to be slippery so his grip was a mess from the start so he quickly moved off. I removed it and threw on some grip tape and tried it again and now hes addicted to it.

I would think it would be dangerous for their little feet, though I suppose if it gets too hot they will not stay on it. Perhaps if it cycles through heat? Like, turns on for a minute or two, and then off... as to just keep the perch warm as opposed to heated with electricity all the time? make sense?