NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

new adoptee

tonyphishcutr

I've lived with birds for several years now and have been graced with my first adoptee--A meyers, similar in body shape/temperment/diet as his geographical neighbor the Grey, although smaller and less language. He is six years old and I am his third known owner. Great medical check-up and band records verified his age. No information from his first home and reason given for breakdown of the most recent home was "unable to give him enough attention"--which, of course, could mean anything anything anything.

He's been here only four days. I'm doing the 'how intrusive do i get/how much do i need to let him be alone' dance. Any advice would be appreciated. He was also fully flighted so my clipping is one more

aggressive, opting instead to runaway rather than attack. I have to work but have managed to come home at noon to eat lunch with him even though he stays in his cage--although i have the door open while i'm home in hopes he will come out on his own. My taking him out is a battle followed by an equivalent battle to get him back in.

Some of his past must have been good quality as he consistently steps-up but always immediately flees--never staying. And only stepping up if he's on the floor and has no other options--meaning i have him cornered. He'd much rather fly away. He has sat on my shoulder for maybe 5 minutes on three occasions. Once when i was eating green beans of which he managed to eat three before flitting off. I can offer him food from my hand and he does not run as long as he is inside his cage. Cage is large enough i can readily stick my head, arm, shoulder in if need be.

I try to play peek-a-boo as much as possible, talk to him all the time i'm home and etc.

I can be as patient as needed. if he needs to left completely alone for a week, two, month, i can do that. But if he really requires more insistent interaction i can do that as well. It's good judgement I need.

As i said, just doing the dance with much to be hopeful about. I am, afterall, quite smitten. He is quite beautiful.

Guest philbob10

Once you remove this option, he will have no other method of defence so he *will* attack.

Why do you feel you must stop him being able to fly?

'Guide to a well behaved parrot' 'My parrot my friend' 'Guide to companion parrot behaviour'

no assurance. no assurance at all.

I dropped by the bird rescue place and relayed the observation that he significantly brightened up when a woman was present. One of the staff members made the comment that "if this doesn't work out . . . "

I am quietly upset by this well intended offer. So really, is this preference he has for women going to be so exclusive and long-lasting that he will be miserable with only me?

I think it must be way way too early to make what seems such a drastic decision. And since the vet's office is not open until tomorrow, i'll post my little panic/tantrum here. But the vet's office will definatly get a call in the a.m.

Guest philbob10

Sadly 'love' is not enough. The people who brought me their unhappy, mutilating, prozac taking goffins, loved their bird. Sadly they kept it in asuch a way that they denied it the right to behaving in a birdlike manner.She is 15 years old and was trying to chew a hole in her chest and had been stitched up twice already. Here we are with her only being at my home for a week and already she is off prozac and not plucking or chewing. I am not a miracle worker, I simply crammed the cage with things to play with and flooded her world with noise, colour, the ability to chew, space, and the right to scream occasionally if she wants to. In short, she is allowed to be a bird.

great advice on all aspects of parrot care. I don't agree with some of the stuff in them of course, especially where wing clipping is bruited as a must, nor the recommendation to feed pellets. Both of these seem to me to be more about convenience for the parrot keeper, than what is best for the bird.

When mine fly down, they simply waddle over to the nearest cage or chair, muttering "out, get out" at the dogs, and simply climb up :0)

'Guide to a well behaved parrot' 'My parrot my friend' 'Guide to companion parrot behaviour'

While i've not watched this group meticulously I would imagine the topic of flighted vs. non-flighted is often discussed/debated. But specific to this bird it is currently moot as it is policy of the rescue place to clip so when I saw/fell-in-love/took-to-vet/brought-home he was already freshly clipped.

thanks, picked up copy of b.munroe doane yesterday. perhaps the best assurance came from a call returned from the vet's office as i had dropped by there to ask related questions.

i suppose it will always be a major part of the task to simply stay smarter than the bird.

Update or 'trying not to take it personally'

I had to laugh yesterday as a woman neighbor came by to see the bird.

After only 2 or 3 minutes he waltzed over to her side of the cage, eyed her enthusiastically, and showed more life, interest, and affection than he has the entire time (7 days) he has been in my home.

Clearly his previous owner was female and just as clearly his preference remains in abundantly well stated.

I had to laugh of course, cause illogical as it is, my feelings were hurt and i am jealous.

Ah well. Too bad for him. I'm not giving up nor having my gender altered. Just feels like one more thing i'm taking away from him, which obviously i am.

I guess that it still ok to ask him to adjust ?

Guest philbob10

I never said it was. I said that they loved the bird, which I don't doubt. They were simply acting in ignorance. They bought it in ignorance, and didn't bother to do any research on how to care for a bird properly. In fact they were probably not even aware that anything more than a pot of seed once a day was required. They didn't adapt their lives to the birds needs, but they *did* feel affection for her.

They acted as the majority of bird owners do, they went to a shop, liked the look of her, paid for her, and bought a not too large cage and whatever parrot food the shop sold. They were simply unanware that anything more was required.