NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cute Yellow Naped Amazon

iEgg

So since I've gotten cold feet about the conures, I've just been looking around this forum and seeing what other birds I might like. I came across the Yellow Naped Amazon under the "Amazon of the week" thread and I thought they were pretty. I stumbled over this video I found on youtube of a Yellow Naped 'Zon named Moby.

Cute video, kinda made my heart melt and definitely makes me want one of these beautiful birds!!

Edited by iEgg
Youtube's embed code didn't work properly

Hi iEgg,

That is really a cool video. The yellow napes are wonderful talkers, that's for sure, and very beautiful birds. I'm sure some of the Amazon folks can give you some good feedback on what they are like.

Since you are looking about, as you say, for birds you might like, what kind of characteristics are you looking for in a bird companion?

Do you have any birds? What kind of experience with parrots?

I second Birdnut's comments on what characteristics you are looking for in a parrot for that is what you should be looking for, one that fits what you like and not just what you see that is cute for the moment. You should do plenty of research and ask yourself what you would like as far as personality and size before you commit to getting one then having to rehome it.

Yellow Napes are amazing birds for sure and that's a cool video, but bear in mind that for every funny, clever, well spoken bird you see on Youtube or anywhere else, someone has put a lot of time and effort into making that bird that way - they don't usually come like that. Good luck with finding your companion.

@luvparrots: I almost got an orange wing once. I love that triceratops thing they do with their neck feathers. :)

A Amazon, can selectively move certain groups of feathers on their head and neck, to watch a Zon turn his head and keep all his feathers smooths except his left side chin feather [example] raised for a scritched, is amazing!!! LOL Jayd

Well, when considering a parrot... I definitely want one that's going to love me and want to be around me everywhere in the house, talking ability is definitely a perk, although not a necessary... I do realize that a lot of time and dedication went with making Moby the spectacle that he is... Makes me want to become the kind of dedicated "parront" to train my bird to do that

I definitely want one that's going to love me and want to be around me everywhere in the house, talking ability is definitely a perk, although not a necessary

I think most any parrot, from a parrotlet to a macaw, is going to like to be around you everywhere in the house. Once they accept you as a member of their flock, they will like to be around you. That is a cool thing about parrots.

What size bird are you thinking of? An important thing to consider is what kind of space you have in your home to dedicate to the bird for cage, playstand, etc. For example, the Yellow Nape Amazon will require a much larger, sturdier, and therefore much more expensive cage setup than the conures you were considering before.

Have you spent any time with parrots? It's great if you have a bird shop anywhere close where you can visit and handle some parrots.

Amazon parrots are wonderful to have around, funny, intelligent and great company! Don't just think about a Yellow Naped Amazon as there are so many other wonderful species of Amazons to choose from. The top 3 for talking are the Yellow Naped, Double Yellow Fronted and the Blue Fronted, although other species of Amazons are have also been known to talk but maybe not on the same level. All the different species have slightly different traits and some are thought to be more aggressive then others. I personally don't think this is true but it is down to the owners and how they train and handle them. Amazons can be very quick to change from a happy cuddly one to a moody, needs to be left alone one quite quickly but they are very good at telling you when they want attention and when they want to be alone.

I love the Mealy Amazons which are slightly bigger then other Amazons but are thought to be the gentle giants of the Amazon world. Diego my Amazon is a Blue Fronted and I could not imagine life without him! He constantly makes me smile he is so full of character and is a real clown most of the time.

Like with any parrot, if you give them the right training, plenty of your time, a very good diet (very important with an Amazon) and plenty of love then your sure to have a great companion and friend! :)

I guess more so a medium sized parrot would be ideal for me. The places I've read said that Yellow Napes grow 12-15" and I just kinda figured it wasn't THAT big... but I trust you people here on the forum and know you wouldn't steer me the wrong way

I do have experience handling a variety of sizes of parrots... I've handled this bitey/mean little Meyer's Parrot at work to my managers B&G Macaw