NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What is this behavior?

Rrrma

I've had Norma almost 2 months and she is around 14 years old. She was a breeder who refused to let a male anywhere near her back. I'm her first real pet owner and I've probably spent more time with her in these 2 months than she has had her whole life with any one human.

So this evening she was out on her playgym and I reached over and brought her to the recliner I was sitting in. She got lots of scratches and then decided to climb up my chest onto the back of the chair(this is the second time she has climbed up me).

We haven't had any face encounters. Like I mentioned she was a breeder and she was meant to be untamed, even though she is very tame... so I don't risk any chance encounters yet.

So she is sitting atop the recliner and starts doing this weird little dance and making a funny noise.

She is maybe this low whisper sound and smacking her lips a lot and turning in circles. Then she put her body low and her wings kind of cupped around her, then turns around and around.

Then facing away from me she like... exposed her back? Then again turned around and around and made the whisper like noise and lowered her wings, then faced away and exposed her back again.

She was also nibbling at my hair and ear and glasses during this.

I don't really know what she was going, but she did it for like 4 minutes until I got up. I took a video of it, but it is almost black.

Anyone else experience this kind of behavior? know what it is?

oh no!!!! That is what I was afraid of! She is really :confused: indeed, lol

Her breeder jokingly said "maybe she likes girls, cause she definitely won't let a boy on her" and maybe he was right :eek:

I walked away from her after I decided that might be what it was. I'll continue to ignore it, but eek! I didn't expect that!

If she is female also ensure that there are minimal opportunities for nesting as this will increase the hormonal behaviour and could incur problems such as becoming egg-bound or being aggressive. try not to touch her below the neck - just give head rubs as any other part of the body will stimulate her.

Good luck with the distraction

What kind of things should be avoided for nesting? She doesn,t have a box or bed or anything. Just perches and toys(mostly foot and shredding toys)

Blah, I hope she doesn't finally decide to breed. She was kept as a breeder for 12 years and never produced. Please don't start now!

Blah, I hope she doesn't finally decide to breed. She was kept as a breeder for 12 years and never produced. Please don't start now!

I doubt she wants to breed now, she is just going thru the motions for she is a sexually mature grey and so she has the urges even if she doesn't have the willing to go thru the final act.

Do not put any type of box or container in her cage that she might think will make a nest out of.

Hmm... true, but I definitely don't want her thinking I might put the moves on her lol!

No one gets any kind of box/cozy in their cage. Too much temptation to nest in it. I learned that from my keets a long time ago.

At least I know she definitely likes me. For a minute I thought she liked my fiance better lol