NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

buying a cage on the internet

tanyab

Its time for me to get Jacksona bigger cage and i was thinking about ebay or online with some shops..can someone send me any ideas on who is safe to use and who isnt?or if they know someone or a company that is safe to buy from..Thanks

This is the cage I got for Kito, and I am very satisfied with it and with the eBay seller everila. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260429338329&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My cage was damaged in transit and he gave me more than enough of a refund to be able to have the parts repaired and re-powdercoated. I see the big picture is no longer the exact cage I got, but the close up pictures are. I especially like the door locks. I would contact him and make sure you are getting the cage with the three bowls and the good locks.

• 3 months later...
This is the cage I got for Kito, and I am very satisfied with it and with the eBay seller everila. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260429338329&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My cage was damaged in transit and he gave me more than enough of a refund to be able to have the parts repaired and re-powdercoated. I see the big picture is no longer the exact cage I got, but the close up pictures are. I especially like the door locks. I would contact him and make sure you are getting the cage with the three bowls and the good locks.

I checked on this with the seller, as I'm in the market for a cage myself. They confirmed that you ARE getting the cage in the smaller pictures, the better cage. They stated that the main picture was an old one.

I bought a larger & smaller HQ cage like this on Ebay, for less than half the msrp. Phenix' is about 44" tall & I really love it. Unfortunately, I don't see the seller listed anymore.

http://www.mybirdcage.com/medium_arch_cage.html

I just ordered this one from Petco for Kura. It's been on back order. But, I'm hoping it will come in this week. I also Googled & found some coupon codes, too. So, it cost about $199 total w/tax & shipping.

http://www.petco.com/product/112988/Marvelous-Pet-Supplies-Bungalow-Bird-Cage.aspx?CoreCat=BirdFC_Cagesstands

Edited by birdhouse

I buy my cages from cages4less. I really like the quality. Heavy duty and they will last a long time. The one from Petco is like the one I bought 4 years ago. I threw it away 1 1/2 years ago, it rusted and the bars were very cheap and bend easily.

I have found that over the years, regarding cages, you get what you pay for. All my cages were $500 or more. THey will last many many years.....

Averi's cage came from craigslist. It's a super heavy duty huge corner cage. We paid less than $200 (the lady we got it from had the receipt shoing she paid $600) for it. It was only used for three months for some sort of exotic animal that I'm spacing the name of. It was doused in buckets of vinegar, aire-dried, wiped down with water, then repeated 2x. It then was allowed to air out for over a month before she came home. You can find really great cages on craigslist, but you have to be willing to make sure they're properly sanitized. Though, that goes for warehouse cages too. They should be saniztized before you bird uses them to get rid of any dust or chemicals.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone who might be saved... One place to not buy a cage - PETCO.com!

I did my homework & knew their rep going in. But I'd seen this cage for as much as $490 & figured I'd see if I could capitalize on a soulless big box chain sale. After an amazing 2 months of %$#!@! , they canceled my order. Customer service-wise, they really are as bad as anything written about them.

• 5 months later...

I've had success buying cages off of eBay. You can get them for way cheap and they are generally in a pretty good condition. Make sure you get a picture of the cage too. Also be sure to check the shipping prices too. Most sellers on eBay have way high shipping prices and lower prices for the goods. That's what I recommend doing.

I bought my first cage of Craigslist, it was not put together but I bought it anyway. When I went to put it together there were screws missing. No big deal really I found some that fit. I also got my second cage, a stainless steel one, from Craigslist too! It was new, never used, so it had all the parts.

This is my cage...I got it from Petco online and used "BillMeLater" so I could pay it out. (bought other things too!!) I love this cage!! I got Black/Grey and I love the two-tone. Check out the great ratings! They have tons of different cages.

http://www.petco.com/product/112992/Marvelous-Pet-Supplies-Chateau-X-Large-Bird-Cage.aspx?CoreCat=MM_BirdSupplies_CagesStands

I purchased my cage from PetCo as well. Here is the one I purchased, and with a coupon code I found, it was going to be $225 with free shipping. I went to a local store, and they also had it there for $300, so I spoke to the manager to see if I could get a better deal, showed her that online it would be $225 and asked her to come down $50. She came down all the way to $225 so I took it home.

Although I know others don't like cages from PetCo, I am very satisfied so far with it. It has the 3 no tip bowls inside so Annie can't pull them out, and 2 on the top. So far, so good.

http://www.petco.com/product/114150/PETCO-Designer-Mink-Brown-Standing-Parrot-Cage.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductList_Bird_3-_-PETCO%20Designer%20Mink%20Brown%20Standing%20Parrot%20Cage-114150