NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Quick Question

Tomcat

Hi All,

Havent been on here for a while :o

Ollie is getting alot more confortable with being out of his cage now, not that he was ever bad!

He happily stands next to me now and lets me scratch his head etc, usually while he trys to pull the 'enter' key off my laptop!

However, he has been out now for 2 hours, and he is happily sat on his cage door. He isnt always easy to get back into his cage, and he is half asleep, he is in my bedroom.

Can i just leave him there for the night do you think?

Cheers, Tom.

In my opinion NO, he needs to be inside his cage with the door shut and latched as he might go exploring and get into something, too many things like electrical cords and such that he could hurt himself with.

Why not try enticing him back into his cage by offering him his favorite treat, put it inside the cage and make sure he sees you put it there and when he goes in to get it then close him up.

I agree with Judy. Your bird has to eventually learn that his cage will also be a place that he needs to live in in the future. You really shouldn't give into his desire to stay out because it'll only get worse as he ages. And if he should happen to get a night fright, he may fall off the cage and no one can predict what'll happen to cause that fright. It could be something or nothing. If he has to fall, it's better to fall a short distance as opposed to the floor.

Edited by Dave007

I would make sure he is in his cage when you are not around to supervise him, much the same as you would a baby human.

At the moment I have my 10 month old daughter with me every day looking after her & also Murphy our 8 month old grey & I never leave them unsupervised. Yesterday we had an BT engineer around fixing our broadband & Ella-Rose our daughter was on the living room floor & Murphy on his stand. The engineer asked me a question who was in the hallway, I went out to answer, went back in a few seconds later, Murphy had flew to the sofa to chew a cushion & Ella-Rose was in the log basket trying to eat some wood! :eek: That was just a few seconds!

What I'm saying is it doesn't take greys long to get into something if they get curious the same as a human baby. That's how you have to think with a grey around.

When I go in the shower for example I put my Daughter in her cot & Murphy in his cage. He doesn't like it & screams his head off till I come out but better safe than sorry. He really doesn't like being in his cage as he loves his freedom I have given him but sometimes it's a must for his own safety & has to be done.

All have given great answers and advice. The good thing about caging them at night as pointed out. Is a night fright of any type can occur from a strange sound, earthquake literally "Night Frights" and send them dashing in the dark. If outside the cage, they can gain a lot of momentum they could not in the cage and easily break their neck. They do not have good night vision at all.

If we have trouble getting Dayo to calm down at night for return to the cage. We turn the lights off in the room, he sits blinded basically and when we approach talking sweetly and he feels one of our hands gently touch his breast, he steps right up feeling safe and secure.

When I go in the shower for example I put my Daughter in her cot & Murphy in his cage. He doesn't like it & screams his head off till I come out but better safe than sorry. He really doesn't like being in his cage as he loves his freedom I have given him but sometimes it's a must for his own safety & has to be done.

Lulu happily perches next to the shower. She is less happy for her shower, so it is nice to get her to the shower without immediate aversion.

Lulu happily perches next to the shower. She is less happy for her shower, so it is nice to get her to the shower without immediate aversion.

I take him in twice a week for a shower with me but I do like to have a nice peaceful shower & some me time the other days. :) He's with me the rest of the day as is my daughter so I don't get 5 minutes to myself, it's busy, busy here throughout the day.