NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Finally found the perfect way to put the aviator harness on Jasper!

jeanna

So I've been able to get the harness on him before, but there was always some struggle and stress involved. Well today I got the genius idea of putting it on him while we cuddled. Jasper loves to lie on top of me with a blanket over him. He can be the most hyper thing and you put a blanket on him and it's automatic lights out. It's also the only time he let's me touch his wings and such. So it was a breeze getting it on him. Cuddle head scratch cuddle harness over the head scratch scratch cuddle over one wing cuddle scratch the other wing scratch scratch quickly tighten cuddle scratch cuddle. Once it's on he doesn't mind it so it works.

Now getting it off him is always the hardest part so we'll see how the cuddle technique works on that part. I'll update when we go back home. We're enjoying a day at the beach right now! We'll probably go to happy hour soon (there's a patio where pets are allowed).

Well they say where there is a will there is a way and it looks like you have found it, congrats on finding a way to sneak the harness on while getting some cuddles and maybe by the time he gets to where he doesn't want so much cuddling he will be used to the harness being put on that it will no longer be a problem, thats using the old noggin.

Getting it off was even easier! He protested once when I only had one wing out. But it was easy to get him back under the covers to calm down and then I got the rest of it off. He didn't mind getting it back over his head ruffling his feathers as long as I kept scratching him here and there. I hope he eventually gets so used to getting it on and off that I can do it without a blanket.

Your technique on getting Jasper's harness on would be great to see. Video please!!

I'll definitely try to do that soon! I'll wear my gopro camera on my head so you guys can get a POV video of it. But for now, here are a couple pics of Jasper at the beach.

web.jpg?ver=12826630390001

web.jpg?ver=12826630620001

When I saw this post, it reminded me to try again with Kopi and a blanket. He never will let me set him down anywhere off his cage top without getting scared and wanting to go back to his cage. I have tried putting him on my legs on a blanket and he has nothing to do with that. Last night, I reclined on the sofa with him for the first time he permitted such a thing and I slowly slid the blanket up under him, and then covered his head and he not only accepted it, but stayed with me for an hour which is a record for him. Thanks so much for posting your story, it was just the thought I needed right now for our little guy.