NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New To The Grey World.

TeresaAnn

A harness is the way to go, if not,you can be a great travel cage at http://www.thecountryroost.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=28_29&osCsid=c1535e6804942f2bae9adcb40af747b3

Judy put me on to this website and I have a couple of travel cages from there for my fids. They are great for emergency use and I just pop my fids in them for time in the sun.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diva can't fly. She seems like she don't know how to fly. But like I said I DIDN"T tie anything to her foot like I thought about because, I didn't want to maybe hurt her. She don't try to fly at all. I have taken her out twice and I hold her in both hands and we go sit in the grass togather I dont put her on anything she can fall off of.

I'm so sorry, a clipped winged bird, with a slight breeze can lift off like a glider, then get caught in this lift, they automatically start to flap, these two things together create lift, next thing there on a tree limb, they jump and hurt themselves, or they are blown against a wall or fence. Please believe me this is fact.....Every time you take Diva out side with out a harness or cage you risk the chance of losing her. You can research this on the net and the forum.. Jayd

Last year I thought Pippa couldn't/wouldn't/didn't fly......she still managed to go AWOL......

You're doing so wonderfully with Diva, it would just be so heartbreaking to lose her in a freak incident. She may prefer not to fly, or not be comfortable with how under normal circumstances, but she is still hard wired with all those wild bird instincts. If something is sufficiently scarey, she WILL flap and try and fly away from it, pure instinct. It's not possible to control all the variables outside - it might just be a hawk overhead, a plane, a cat, a noise, you never know quite what might spook, so many things that are beyond your control. A panicky flap, no matter how amateur, combined with an unfortunate gust of wind, and she could be gone forever.....

I'm really sorry if it sounds like I'm scaremongering, but you'll only know what scares her with hindsight.

The trust you are building with her is just wonderful, and I'm sure you could encorporate harness training into that with great ease :)

Don't be sorry guys. Really, I am new to her and I am open to any advice giving trust me I ain't like oh whatever yeah yeah .. I will look into getting her a harness.But maybe right now I will just hold off for a bit. I don't want anything to happen to my Diva. Only having her a week she has made me smile so much more I just love her to peices. My husband is starting to like her also. He just pretends he dont haha.... There really isn't any interesting story to tell today other then she bit me again cause I was misiting her before I had to leave for out of town. I wasn't able to make it back home untill 10:30 pm and she seems pretty excited to see me. But thanks for the advice all...

Another day with Ms. Diva. Well, today was going well. I got her out of her cage we were playing and talking. I puther back and she climbed on top was sitting up there talking away while i was cleaning our mess me made up. I walk over to her cage and say Diva come give momma a kiss. I swear I think she tried to pee on me. She back her behind right towards me and had the poop look on her face and I dont have to tell ya what happen after that. I was like u dirty bird...lol left it at that. Not long after I did the same thing. and SO DID SHE!!!!!! Is she trying to mark me? Do they do that?

Diva and I have been getting a lot very well for the last couple days. She comes out of her cage comes all the way down to the bottom and will follow me everywhere just like a puppy. However, now she is doing tihs I have to keep her cage door shut more cause I am scared she might get out and me not know it and step on her or something or one of my dogs get after her. Even though she does have the bluff on Dixie and Bubbles...lol...just dont wanta chance it because there are 2 of the and 1 of her. She is also now bathing in her water dish. I thinking of getting a big bowl or pan of water for the bottom of the cage. any ideas?