NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My first baby african grey! I have no experience, just faith.

This worry's me, faith is not always enough.This isn't against you, you never should have been sold this gift..Do you have someone who is experienced at hand feeding you could let raise this poor baby? the chances of survival are extremely low...I'm sorry...Jayd

Note:I want you to know, myself and everyone here are ready to offer our help.....

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190489-Welcome-PROSPECTIVE-and-NEW-GREY-Owner-s..

Edited by Jayd

Good Morning, What are you feeding this little guy? How much? How offend? Can you tell me what the sweetheart weights? Is he messy? You can PM me if you like, I'm here to give you all the support and offer any help if I can...Jayd

Can you please describe how you were sent off with this bird and with what instructions. This is a very precarious stage at that age. Please answer as soon and as immediately as you can. And if possible, please provide the contact information of the breeder.

thanks for responding and sending me back to where i was yesturday. I lost the site. I've been reading up as much as i can and so far it's been paid off. Yes i know it's a tough task at hand and im up for the challenge. Especially with all the information that you and everyone else provide. i just have to remember how to work these forums. thanks.

ive been feeding Spooky 3 times a day with a supplement called Kaytee Exact using a syringe 35ml. I take my time feeding him, therefore he's not too messy. I purchased him Saturday and haven't weighed him yet. It's only been a couple of days and it seems like he's growing fast. According to the label on the box where he came in, he was hatched somewhere between July 3-5.

hello bird friends, i finally got a scale and weighed Spooky. He's around 7 wks. and weighs 475g. is this normal?

Hi, That' a lot for a 7wk old baby, that's average weight for a full adult....Do you have a digital scale? Stores like Walmart sell them fairly cheap. What temperature do you feed his formula at?

Question, you made the comment that the "Box he came in" had instruction on the side of it? Thanks Jayd

i bought a scale from Target, He's about 475 grams, equivalent of 1.047 lbs. The container i bought him in had no instructions, just a sign saying he hatched on July 3-5. They had three there. all the instructions were from the seller and me asking questions.

i bought a scale from Target, He's about 475 grams, equivalent of 1.047 lbs. The container i bought him in had no instructions, just a sign saying he hatched on July 3-5. They had three there. all the instructions were from the seller and me asking questions.
Sorry, miss quote.."According to the label on the box where he came in, he was hatched somewhere between July 3-5.". This weight is high, do you weigh him after his first bomb in the morning? Again, if you could just answer my few questions,I'm only trying to offer my help...Do you know what slow- crop, or crop impaction is, and what to do about it? Are you aware of crop burn or aspiration? Again, what is your high and low temperture for his formula? How feathered in is he?, what is your hourly feeding times? Where did you buy him?....Thank you...Jayd

Note: With out being there in person, no one has anything to go on except what you post....

Edited by Jayd

i just bought the scale and start weighing him every morning. No, I don't know what slow-crop or crop impaction is. Is the crop burn due to high temp of the formula? I also bought a food thermometer and according to the formula label, they say for the temp to be between 102-110. Would this be okay? as for the feathers, the neck is the only part he hasn't feathered. I feed him 3 times a day. Lastly, i bought him at a local pet store. thanks Jayd. Please feedback.

Thank you, Raise your low temperature to 105,and your high to 108, to be safe.....What does his poop look like? Here's some links I would like you to read...These are real, they really do happen, even to a experienced person, to hand feed properly is to be in constant fear while feeding, and pray afterwords.. Nothing is gained by hand feeding to a new parrot owner, They don't BOND any better, think about it, A parrot leaves his parent's, [some are thrown out by them] when they wean, then they find a mate or new flock and start their life... same goes with buying a new bird, your his new life!!!!

Aspiration - This occurs when large or small amounts of formula enter the baby's lungs. When the babies aren't given time to swallow or the mouth is flooded, aspiration is a real possibility. Care must be taken with the very liquid formula/water mixtures required by neonates. If a small amount of formula is aspirated, the body may be able to encapsulate it and wall it off from the rest of the body, the baby can also develop respiratory problems... If the amount of formula aspirated is large, the baby will die immediately - there is no treatment.

Crop stasis - The temperature of the brooder and the formula are very important. Low temperatures can cause the crop to shut down. Unfeathered babies cannot regulate their body temperatures and don't have the reserves to heat cool or cold formula up to digestion temperature. When this happens the crop doesn't empty. Formula that sits in the warm environment of the crop can sour or become contaminated from the small number of impurities in the handfeeding formula. The formula powder is not sterile. Often the body will draw on the fluid in the formula to hydrate the body and the food can get compacted in the crop. Delayed emptying of the crop is very serious and needs immediate attention

Crop burn - Improperly heated formula can have hot spots. Babies will eat scalding hot formula which can burn away the esophagus and/or the crop. If the burn is very serious, the baby will die. Some burns can be treated by implanting a feeding tube in the crop, but the esophagus must be intact for the bird to live after the tube is removed.

Signs of trouble - Lack of feeding response, respiratory sounds, slight aspiration, delayed crop emptying, restless or lethargic babies, lack of weight gain are just a few symptoms of trouble. These indicators require prompt action if the baby is to be saved. With babies in trouble, the first system that shuts down is the digestive system. Very close attention must be paid to the slightest clue that the digestive system is not performing as it should be.

http://www.parrotchronicles.com/features/droppings/droppings.htm

Edited by Jayd