NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A bush fire has made me think about evacuation plans

GoDiego

This morning has been eventful, first we saw a big plume of black smoke in the distance which was followed a short time after with helicopters dropping water from the sky. A bush fire had broken out a couple of miles away from our house. We live in an urbanisation surrounded by rural grounds, which during the summer months here in Spain is very dry. From our roof terrace we could see the fire spreading and there was nothing we could do but hope and pray that the fire services could put out the fire. Thankfully after an hour they had controlled the fire and we now have electricity back and everything seems to be OK.

I have never thought about evacuating a house before, as hurricanes and earthquakes do not happen here. However today, has made me realise that this was just ignorance which could have cost the lives of my pets.

From today onwards, I will be putting together an evacuation box which can be got at quickly if needed, containing food and any other things my pets will need. I have also put my pet carriers in a more accessible part of the house to be reached quickly if required. During the fire my husband and I worked out a plan of action of getting our pets and children out of the house safely by designating animals and a child to each person.

I've never been in a situation like that before and it really spooked me. maybe everyone should think about a plan of action if ever there was an emergency situation, if they have not already done so.

Same here. It was just the other day when our oven "blew up". The bottom element caught on fire but we dealt with it without much smoke. I PANICKED because there was no way I was going to get both fids out when Tui was hiding in his big heavy cage and Ziggy was on the curtain rod.

We got the travel cages all ready and stored them in the front closet right by the door. If there is an emergency, we can put them both in their cages and get out quickly. I would probably get bit all to heck but they would be safe. Having a travel cage ready and at hand is a good idea :)

Everyone should have a plan of action in case of an emergency and especially those of us with pets and fids, I have their travel cages nearby that I can get to easily with some food nearby that can be grabbed up quickly. We don't usually have any earthquakes, tornadoes, floods and such in our area but there is always the threat of a fire and some freak of nature so being prepared for whatever happens could save a life.

Thanks for sharing that story with us for it may just prompt some of our members to prepare for what they hope never happens for it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

GoDiego, glad you and yours are safe. Must have been very frightening, seeing that so close!

For those of you who live in large abodes, and are in earthquake-prone areas, another good idea is to have TWO earthquake kits. Put one in one area of the house, say, in the garage, and the other in another area of the house far away from the garage, say, in a closet or under a bed. I use a suitcase so that it is easy to grab and go. In it I have everything that I would be devastated to lose, plus important papers (or copies of), plus, the obvious items like flashlight with batteries, radio with batteries, canned and boxed foods, medications, water water water, feeding bowls for the animals, candles and matches (in a baggie so that they stay dry in the event of an exploding water pipe or inclement weather), a stash of cash (ATMs won't work if electricity is out) and first aid kits for myself and my animals. Oh, and don't forget, mark it in your calendar to rotate the food and water. (This is by no means a complete list - do a google search for "earthquake kit" or similar, and there will be countless lists out there. Also, if it seems overwhelming to get this going, having SOME of the items is better than having NONE. Wouldn't you like to have some food and water and toilet paper than NOTHING, after all?)

The reason I am mentioning to prepare two kits is because many times in earthquakes, part of a home is completely inaccessible or even destroyed. This way, you at least have a chance of getting to one of the kits if the other is under a pile of rubble or behind an unstable wall.

Horrible thought, but better to be prepared and not need the kit than the other way around.

Boy, this is a really good heads-up for people to be prepared for an emergency! We have made sure we have enough travel cages for each of the birds, but getting them all in there and out quickly in an emergency? ... it's kind of a scary thought.

The world we live in is changing and not for the good makes you wonder about 2012! fires, floods like a friend of mine said it only takes more than one major thing going on in the world and we are in trouble! makes you think....

This is a fear of mine also. I have food and pet ownership and vet records close at hand. I also have emergency dry food stuffs and water already in my Jeep. My pets travel cages and harnesses and leashes are also very accessible. Also remember you can also pop your fids into pillowcases as carriers if you are really desperate for a quick pet carrier. Great reminder that we need to be prepared!

Living in New Zealand, here we are also advised to discuss such an emergency plan with the family. Let each member know where your emergency kits are, if there is a nearby location where people are to go after a disaster (Civil Defence Centres here, don't know what you guys would call them!), discuss emergency exits, and a plan and place for meeting after such an event. Don't rely on cellphones after a disaster, as the lines will probably be jammed with many panickin people tryin to contact others.