NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Jasper HATES guitars! Such loud growls!

jeanna

Jasper is about 8 months old now. Here I thought he was fearless and then my brother took up the guitar. As soon as he sees it he starts growling. Louder the closer it is. He even hates the ukelele! Is there any way to desensitize him? Apparently he is way worse when I'm not around. When he sees it while on my shoulder, he just shakes a little and growls here and there. I don't want him to be afraid of harmless household things, you know? He was calmer when I kept telling him it was ok and that it's just a guitar.

It's probably best to keep the guitar around your bird where he can see it all the time. Move it around the room, leave it at different places in the room but let him see it all the time and eventually, it'll become part of decor. As far as the sound, well, he simply may not be a rocker. Really don't know whether a bird can be made to llike certain audio sounds. My birds hate cardboard boxes and there's no way they'll ever accept them but I can't leave those boxes around them all the time.

Partner is the same way, He hates the flute and piccolo. Well pretty much anything shiny and relatively large in size. He will growl horribly and back away. He also hates the sound of both. I can understand that though because of the high frequencies. I agree with Dave, just place it around the room in different spots and eventually he will become accustomed to seeing it. Though he may never actually like the sound of it.