NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Some quick help on lighting please

Shades Of Grey

I am heading out in the morning and I want to buy a proper bulb for my lamp that will give Tui some light. It was awfully dark in the corner even with the floor lamp right by his cage. We have no overhead lighting in our living room and it is a problem for us and the fids. Ziggy is by the window so he gets some benefit of natural light. I bought a lamp today for Tui. It is a floor lamp but it also has an adjustable side lamp for reading. I can turn on the overhead light and position the side lamp to shine in his cage. Both sockets take a regular sized bulb. It's honestly the best I can do until we move and I can hook up an overhead florescent ballast. I have florescent "daylight" bulbs in both sockets. He really seemed to like the light today and played with his toys more than usual.

I read through the whole sticky thread on lighting and the best advice is to make a ballast which I plan to do when I can. I am wondering what the best "regular sized" bulb would be for now. I am going to check walmart and petsmart. What should I be looking for in a bulb?

I am also wondering if I should leave the lamp on a full 12 hours now that it is getting dark earlier in the day. Should I be turning off the light when the sun goes down or wait until 12 hours is up.

Thanks for the help :)

Hi, this is what you need ,http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5690+16711&pcatid=16711. It will fit into what you have, it's UVB-UVA, FULL SPECTRUM and lasts about 6 months. Your baby need's 12 [ 10 when hormonal]hours of sleep, or more..year round......Petsmart also sells the Zoo Med's ReptiSun 5.0, which is the same as the AvianSun bulb.Jayd

Thank you for contacting us. The Reptisun 5.0 is actually exactly the same as the Avian Sun 5.0 bulb. You can use the Reptisun 5.0 in place of the Avian Sun 5.0 as long as you follow the instructions that come with the Avian Sun bulb. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Ashley Rademacher

Customer Service

Zoo Med Labs, Inc.

3650 Sacramento Dr.

San Luis Obispo CA 93401

Toll Free 888-496-6633

Fax 805-542-9295

Hi, this is what you need ,http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5690+16711&pcatid=16711. It will fit into what you have, it's UVB-UVA, FULL SPECTRUM and lasts about 6 months. Your baby need's 12 [ 10 when hormonal]hours of sleep, or more..year round......Petsmart also sells the Zoo Med's ReptiSun 5.0, which is the same as the AvianSun bulb.Jayd

Thank you for contacting us. The Reptisun 5.0 is actually exactly the same as the Avian Sun 5.0 bulb. You can use the Reptisun 5.0 in place of the Avian Sun 5.0 as long as you follow the instructions that come with the Avian Sun bulb. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Ashley Rademacher

Customer Service

Zoo Med Labs, Inc.

3650 Sacramento Dr.

San Luis Obispo CA 93401

Toll Free 888-496-6633

Fax 805-542-9295

Oh, thanks. That's great that the reptisun is a safe bulb even though its for reptiles. I think they may carry that one at my petsmart. Its sad that the lizard section carries more supplies than the bird section.

Edited by Shades Of Grey

I went out and bought a fluorescent bar, 48", and bought 2 Reptiglo 2.0 full spectrum bulbs and hung it up above his cage so he can't reach it and it provides plenty of light for him.

Sorry, the Reptiglo 2.0, isn't a UVB/UVA bulb, it's just a daylight bulb, this will not provide what is needed,[it's the UVB] for D production...You need the Reptisun 5.0..Avian Sun 5.0 . as mentioned above... Sorry....:(

Note: You can use 1 Reptiglo 2.0 and a Reptisun 5.0 or AvianSun 5.0...

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190731-Is-this-bulb-alright

Edited by Jayd