NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

On Social Situations With Your Grey

Elvenking

This was really meant for a specific member who has a Grey that seems to closely resemble the behaviors of Issac but they seem to have run out of space in the inbox. (I would be refering to danmcq and his Grey, Dayo). He seems to have Issac's twin. However, I will throw this out there for everyone.

Is it ever the case that you have guests over that are not exactly....say....into birds as much as you are and you have to somehow manage both your relationship with your bird and your friend or family member? If so, how do you do this?

An example might be, I am fine with Issac flying down to me while I am eating or doing whatever, but some of my family members could be a bit uncomfortable with this. My daughter was over the other day, and Issac is fine with her, he seems to be a very trusting bird and shares himself with everyone that comes in. Sometimes more than expected. He is getting really comfortable around my daughter and will fly to where we both are, and I think together we manage this quite well.

For example, say I had some people over for dinner and they don't exactly like birds flying down to the dinner table attempting to pick food off or maybe they just have an aversion to the way he craps all over the place. (Toilet training seems to be infinite but I actually get him to poop in the toilet on occasions)

Help me with more of your great suggestions.

I have a perch which I can move about the house and usually when we have guests, I'll put the perch in the corner of the room and let Tui observe what's going on. She's still very suspicious of new people and doesn't really seem to like new people/situations. I don't want her to feel uncomfortable around people, yet I want her to feel included with us, so that's why I put her perch in the room at the side. She's not directly within the group itself, but people can go to her and introduce themselves to her as they wish.

That's just what I do, but I hope that helps you. ;)

Does Tui fly? It is much different when they can satisfy their curiosities that way. Though an interesting note, the last time my brother came over, Issac just sat high up on his atom and watched us. But I do notice that when he gets more comfortable, he starts coming down. I really have little problem with this so far. However, I just want to have some course of action should I get guests that might be less tollerant of the things that I really have no problem with normally. Thanks for your suggestion :) I suppose Issac's perching point is typically his atom, it's nice and high and he feels safe there.

I dont have any friends of family that have birds (in Va). I am letting Babalus wings grow out so he can fly, but I am thinking that once he can, he will be caged when I have people over so no accidents happen. I am sure that once Babalu gets control over his flight and tries to fly to us while eating, my husband will have a fit and he will be caged or in another room while we eat. He is paranoid about dust and feathers or anything for that matter flying in his food. Even in restaurants we sit where there is less traffic so we dont get things falling off people when they walk by. He is crazy, but it is rubbing off on me too:)

The other day my daughter was eating and I had to cage him for about 10 minutes while she peacefully finished. It was the most excrutiating 10 minutes ever! I don;t like him in his cage...probably more than he doesn't like to be there. In fact...he just gets all playful when he is in there so I know he is probably cool...just so long as he sees me. When and if I have a greater number of people over, I will probably have to balance some cage time and out time carefully. If not just for his own safety.

Depends on the company that comes over. With family, Ana Grey has run of the house. She has perches in all the rooms so she picks her spot. No one in my family touches my birds without permission, its just a respect thing I guess. Ana Grey chooses the people she wants to interact with. There are only two members of my family Ana Grey goes to, my 10-year-old grandson and my 21 year old grandson. If people are over that are not "bird people" I keep Ana Grey in her cage because she is more comfortable there and so are my guests. Ana Grey sometimes sits on her boing in the dining area when people are over for dinner. She doesn't bother people when they are eating. If I am eating alone that's a different story, she comes over and steals my food but then I let her. I believe that our greys are sensitive to moods and they can read when they are welcome and when people want them around. Example: When my youngest grandson is around, Ana Grey sits on her perch in the living room. The only time she comes to me when I am with him is when I am feeding him his bottle or rocking him in my recliner. Then she sits on the back of my chair quietly just watching. She senses he comes first and I believe realizes that he is more needy than her.

Most of our birds are in a separate bird room, and I only bring them out around other people if I feel comfortable about it (about the birds' safety, mainly). Moussa's cage is in the dining room. We're not big socialites, but when people have been over, he mainly just sits on his stand and watches. He does fly. We'll see how things go in the future. But, within reason, I tend to think, Hey, we have birds; if you don't like being around birds, then don't come. I've sure been jumped on and sniffed in the crotch by other people's unruly dogs enough times! LOL!

Sorry for the full PM box. I get so much hate PM's that I needed to delete many. So hey everyone, you'll not receive a "Box Full" now so you can resume the hate PM's :P

Anyway, yep Dayo is exactly like that with familiar family and unfamiliar people. He will be very interested in them and if they have it...food. I try to stay outsider friendly, so when certain ones comes visiting for dinner, I cage Dayo. It is the only way to keep him and some visitors safe and not annoyed with one another. It kills me to cage him, but I must learn some balance and thats one of the things we need to do to maintain good friendships with some that we wouldn't want to lose. I have the same issues with my Dobermans, some people are so afraid of them, that I put them in the bedroom or outside when some people visit.

Dayo considers everyone that enters the house a flock member and sharing space and food with one another is expected. I love he is like that and try to encourage those that may become annoyed to atleast interact with him a little from outside the cage if the opportunity arises. They cannot ignore him or forget he is in the house anyway, due to thie Hello's, How are you's and wolf whistles, many times if eating he will be bellowing Mmmmmmmm Enchilcadas, lets get some apples and grapes, wanna peanut... which normally invokes laughter and questions. I hope this type of activity and limited interaction causes a change in mind sets and appreciation for just how wonderful, intelligent, vocal and sensitive these magnificent creatures are and why we are the way they see us.

So it does seem Dayo and Issac are probably from the same flock in Africa that frequents the native pubs and shoots the bull with the locals. :P

Hey, we have birds; if you don't like being around birds, then don't come. I've sure been jumped on and sniffed in the crotch by other people's unruly dogs enough times! LOL!

Hey I can relate to that!

We don't have many people come to our home, mainly just the kids and other close family members but but Josey usually will stay on her cage top and take in the scene, I don't have to worry about her trying to fly to anyone or get into their food for she is incapable of flight right now but I kind of feel like Birdnut, if you don't like birds then stay out of my home.

I do have to be careful of my sun conure when my youngest granddaughter is around as she will fly to her and attack her, she did just last week and bit her on the back before I could get her off of her, she used to do the older girl that way but she is 9 years old now and understands she has to be slower in movement and she allows her to pet her now, sadly she stays in the cage now when she comes to visit.

Sorry for the full PM box. I get so much hate PM's that I needed to delete many. So hey everyone, you'll not receive a "Box Full" now so you can resume the hate PM's :P

Anyway, yep Dayo is exactly like that with familiar family and unfamiliar people. He will be very interested in them and if they have it...food. I try to stay outsider friendly, so when certain ones comes visiting for dinner, I cage Dayo. It is the only way to keep him and some visitors safe and not annoyed with one another. It kills me to cage him, but I must learn some balance and thats one of the things we need to do to maintain good friendships with some that we wouldn't want to lose. I have the same issues with my Dobermans, some people are so afraid of them, that I put them in the bedroom or outside when some people visit.

Dayo considers everyone that enters the house a flock member and sharing space and food with one another is expected. I love he is like that and try to encourage those that may become annoyed to atleast interact with him a little from outside the cage if the opportunity arises. They cannot ignore him or forget he is in the house anyway, due to thie Hello's, How are you's and wolf whistles, many times if eating he will be bellowing Mmmmmmmm Enchilcadas, lets get some apples and grapes, wanna peanut... which normally invokes laughter and questions. I hope this type of activity and limited interaction causes a change in mind sets and appreciation for just how wonderful, intelligent, vocal and sensitive these magnificent creatures are and why we are the way they see us.

So it does seem Dayo and Issac are probably from the same flock in Africa that frequents the native pubs and shoots the bull with the locals. :P

Ah yes..thank you for answering. The hardest thing for me to get over is the caging. I hate it. So please reassure me that he won;t want to bite my nose off if I have to do it sometimes for his and others best interest. Everytime you describe Dayo, he is just like Issac in every way and form. It's amazing and I thank you for your advice.

PS: I hope he ends up talking like Dayo too...that would rock. ;) Love to hear stories of your Grey. Thank you for sharing your tactics. Hey...do you employ door protection of some sort to prevent him from flying out..can't remember...but lemmie know.

Hey I can relate to that!

We don't have many people come to our home, mainly just the kids and other close family members but but Josey usually will stay on her cage top and take in the scene, I don't have to worry about her trying to fly to anyone or get into their food for she is incapable of flight right now but I kind of feel like Birdnut, if you don't like birds then stay out of my home.

I do have to be careful of my sun conure when my youngest granddaughter is around as she will fly to her and attack her, she did just last week and bit her on the back before I could get her off of her, she used to do the older girl that way but she is 9 years old now and understands she has to be slower in movement and she allows her to pet her now, sadly she stays in the cage now when she comes to visit.

Yeah..if Issac ever bites my daughter...my ex will have the fit of a lifetime and..well..things will go down...she is not a bird person. So I really have to be careful...she does well around him and she ducks when he flys...so she is pretty good about it. We will see how it goes and I will keep all aware

We also cage our 2 when friends come over. The friends always say hello to the birds and stand near the cage. I really cage them for their own comfort as people who don't have birds really don't know how to react when they are out and can make the bird nervous as well.

Once we have finished dinner then I let the birds out to meet everyone. We have a perch by the dinner table and they sit there and the only people they fly to is my BF and I. If someone shows interest and ask to hold them or touch them (Rangi is the only one they can hold, Kea won't let anyone else touch or hold her yet) I then prepare Rangi for it and tell him what is going to happen and talk to him about it before they come near him.

So for example if they want to touch him I give Rangi the command for touching his back which is "pat you back" and then I touch his back and then the person touches his back. If they want to hold him I tell him to step up and he will no problem. All the time I am talking to Rangi so he knows everything is ok and I tell him what a good boy he is. I do this because most people are nervous and he feels this, but with me telling him all is ok he is really calm.

Ah yes..thank you for answering. The hardest thing for me to get over is the caging. I hate it. So please reassure me that he won;t want to bite my nose off if I have to do it sometimes for his and others best interest. Everytime you describe Dayo, he is just like Issac in every way and form. It's amazing and I thank you for your advice.

PS: I hope he ends up talking like Dayo too...that would rock. ;) Love to hear stories of your Grey. Thank you for sharing your tactics. Hey...do you employ door protection of some sort to prevent him from flying out..can't remember...but lemmie know.

Well the biting would be more likely to occur if you try to cage him after your guests arrive. I always cage Dayo before those avian uncomfortable guests get there. I also use his favorite foods like apples, grapes, walnuts etc. as a treat for him in his cage to have him go in willingly and happy to be there.........well until the guests arrive, he wants to be out with the visiting flock so bad he is like a wee child jumping up and down and running around in circles. When I take him out, he is not vengeful at all, but very focused on doing an aerial survey through all rooms to see if any guests are still there.

The only door safety, is when Dayo is out, everyone backs out of doors. If we have guests that are leaving, I or my wife always has Dayo with us or on a stand we watch like a hawk. The family and guests all back out of doors as well knowing the birds are out when leaving and pretty much just do it out of habit now.

Edited by danmcq

LOL...cute description of Dayo getting excited. As much as I like to have him out all the time, I will have to try some of your approaches with the arrival of any unsure company. This is very helpful. As far as the doors go, I am currently manning the doors like you do, but i think i am going to hang something in front of the main entry way to prevent him for accidentally getting out again. I would die if I had to go through him getting away again.

I must say, those whose greys even accept company in the house are extremely lucky lol. Partner tolerates people in the house, but once he knows there are people in the house that aren't normally there, he turns into mr talkative. Though with most guests I have to keep him caged because he is capable of flight, and loves to fly onto peoples shoulders and bite them in the ear... seems to be his way of saying yeah... um get outta here lol. Its a great rarity that he will bite me, so if I'm home alone I just leave the cage door open and allow him free roam to do as he chooses.

Haven't had anybody round yet that doesn't like Murphy, he just sits on his stand practising his speech & noises joining in.

I had a friend stay with us last week who Murphy really liked, he also thought his laptop would make a great perch & kept trying to land on it. :rolleyes: My friend wasn't really bothered, he just shooed him away & eventually Murphy gave up trying.

You just have to read each different situation & act accordingly.

Haven't had anybody round yet that doesn't like Murphy, he just sits on his stand practising his speech & noises joining in.

I had a friend stay with us last week who Murphy really liked, he also thought his laptop would make a great perch & kept trying to land on it. :rolleyes: My friend wasn't really bothered, he just shooed him away & eventually Murphy gave up trying.

You just have to read each different situation & act accordingly.

Issac gets along with anyone I bring in so far. Really, I was just wondering the occasions on which someone might consider caging their grey for the better of the situation. I heard a couple examples and am satisfied that I have a course of action to try for now. So far...I ahve not had to cage him for more than 5-10 mins with anyone else over.

Issac gets along with anyone I bring in so far. Really, I was just wondering the occasions on which someone might consider caging their grey for the better of the situation. I heard a couple examples and am satisfied that I have a course of action to try for now. So far...I ahve not had to cage him for more than 5-10 mins with anyone else over.

That's good that Issac gets on with everyone that comes over, Murphy & Issac are proper little socialites.......lol

No doubt we will have the odd time we're there is an issue with our grey & our guests, on that occasion they will just have to go in their cages for a while. At least Issac doesn't mind going in his cage, Murphy hates it when I close the door & plays up big time.

an unrelated reply...though I think its important to mention. Do your guests know that Isaac is flighted and doors windows, etc must not be opened to the outside while they are visiting? Just a thought. Not criticizing at all...just thinking of his safety.

an unrelated reply...though I think its important to mention. Do your guests know that Isaac is flighted and doors windows, etc must not be opened to the outside while they are visiting? Just a thought. Not criticizing at all...just thinking of his safety.

That's a fair comment as I have problems with people understanding this issue myself when they visit. I have got annoyed with people on various occasions when they just walked out of an outside door with no thoughts to Murphy even though I've told them & made them aware of the situation.

There was one time I had an argument with my Father when he walked out the front door & left it wide open while Murphy was on his stand in the living room. He only had to fly from the living room into the hallway & there would have been an open door to the big wide world for him to explore. :(

There was one time I had an argument with my Father when he walked out the front door & left it wide open while Murphy was on his stand in the living room.

Yikes! Gee, I hope your father was just mad and distracted and wasn't doing that on purpose.

A couple of friends dropped by for a brief time yesterday. They hadn't met Moussa, so I introduced him. He was very shy and nervous and wanted nothing to do with them. He was a brave boy and stepped on my girlfriend's hand for a minute, but he kept looking back at me like, Please take me back. So I did take him right back. I was proud of him for being willing to do it at my request, even though he was nervous.

I would like to think that he would have relaxed if they had been around awhile.

I worry about our birds not getting enough socialization with other people. We are not big socialites, and they see very few strangers.

Your reply is related enough. Guests know, but none will have the pure paranoia that I have over that matter. So I am always on duty when he is out. There may come som situations where I just don't want to chance it and put him in his cage. Likely situations where there may be more people over than I trust to keep a sae environment.

Yikes! Gee, I hope your father was just mad and distracted and wasn't doing that on purpose.

A couple of friends dropped by for a brief time yesterday. They hadn't met Moussa, so I introduced him. He was very shy and nervous and wanted nothing to do with them. He was a brave boy and stepped on my girlfriend's hand for a minute, but he kept looking back at me like, Please take me back. So I did take him right back. I was proud of him for being willing to do it at my request, even though he was nervous.

I would like to think that he would have relaxed if they had been around awhile.

I worry about our birds not getting enough socialization with other people. We are not big socialites, and they see very few strangers.

Obviously my father wasn't doing it on purpose to let Murphy out! He just didn't think that Murphy would fly off so easy, that's why we argued. I actually had a go at him about his relaxed attitude to leaving doors open etc & he didn't take too kindly to being shouted at by his Son & told off! It was the same when a friend came over to stay for a week, he kept using the patio door to go outside for a cigarette to begin with, while Murphy was in the room on his stand. When I tell them off, they think that I'm over reacting & they really believe that he wouldn't fly away. Me I'm not taking any chances.