NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

About First Words From Greys And Talking

Elvenking

I am curious about something. If you have a Grey that talks, and it seems that most do, I have a few questions...

• Were the first words he\she said to you something that you always repeated to them or was it something that they picked up quickly.
  • Did you drill words in with much repitition or did you just talk to them in passing and they picked things up.
  • Did you set aside training time specifically for talk training?

I pretty much just talk to Issac most of the time. I do have things I say often to him, but I usually don't specifically sit him down for a training session. If I do see that I have his attention, I may repeat, "Hello" or "Whatcha doin?" a few times while he listens. Among other common phrases.

He seems to be really sharp picking up noises for sure, sounds from video games, creaks from cabinets and doors, pop, whoops and whistles. I will also catch him giving attempts at words. I love it all.

So let me know your experience with this, it is much appreciated. Thanks.

Nice topic Stephen. I never drill Ana Grey with words and I don't remember what her first words were. Although there is a post here somewhere saying what they were, I was so excited. She only talks in phrases. Never only one word, I guess because I don't talk that way to her. Sometimes we talk and whistle back and forth because she enjoys it, but these are words she already knows. My daughter has been trying to get her to say, "Hello gorgeous" but Ana Grey refuses to try and my grandson tries to get her to say "Gabriel is a genius" but she ignores these words. The phrases I love the most that she says is "I love you Booba"\." It it what I say to her each morning. The only person Ana Grey talks to besides me, is my oldest grandson, Anthony, because whenever he comes over he always gives her a pecan nut.

Some people do both. They'll buy a bird, are told that this particular species is well known for talking so they immediately start repeating things over and over even though there's no connection to other things. Many people eventually see that the bird is picking up things without it being repeated over and over plus the bird seems to be reacting to different things being said or done. So they ease up on the repetition method and are happy to see what the bird's natural capabilities are. Of course, some of those birds will never talk so that causes disappointment with the owners. They usually find out afterward that many greys won't talk in the human language but will talk in their own language. Basically all birds talk. It's up to the owner to find out what sounds belong to certain things said or done.

I don't know what my 2's first words were but they both say lots of words and phrases - they have favourites for a while and then move on to something else. At the moment Billy's is "Oi!" and Echo's is "Billy, no!" :) I find that they will repeat things that are not said directly to them rather than trying to teach them something specific

My bird, Tui, hasn't said many proper words yet apart from 'hello' and 'scratch'. I think 'hello' is always the first word of most birds and it's what I always say to Tui when I see her so it's only natural she'd pick it up. We always ask her if she wants a 'scratch' so that is obviously where she got that from. A lot of the time it's gurgles and trying to sound out words more than actual words; she's only about 7 months of age so she's experimenting with words at the moment. Lol.

I do say the same words to get her to understand particular situations. I always say 'Good Morning' when I take her sheet off her cage. At night I always say, 'Night Night'. But I don't keep saying the same words again and again just for the sake of it, hoping she'll pick them up. When I watch the TV sometimes I'll just comment on something which has happened and talk to her. I talk to her about anything and everything.

My bird, Tui, hasn't said many proper words yet apart from 'hello' and 'scratch'. I think 'hello' is always the first word of most birds and it's what I always say to Tui when I see her so it's only natural she'd pick it up. We always ask her if she wants a 'scratch' so that is obviously where she got that from. A lot of the time it's gurgles and trying to sound out words more than actual words; she's only about 7 months of age so she's experimenting with words at the moment. Lol.

I do say the same words to get her to understand particular situations. I always say 'Good Morning' when I take her sheet off her cage. At night I always say, 'Night Night'. But I don't keep saying the same words again and again just for the sake of it, hoping she'll pick them up. When I watch the TV sometimes I'll just comment on something which has happened and talk to her. I talk to her about anything and everything.

Seven months is still young, so I wouldn't fret. I pretty much do the same thing. I use association, "Wanna Eat?", "Good Morning" and "Ni-Night", "Whatcha doin?" "Uh oh" (when somethign falls or an accident happens), "Good Boy!" and of course "I Love You" (that one I tend to say a lot..hehehe). Even if he didn't end up talking, I still love all the sounds he makes. I would be super happy to hear him say something though.

Some people do both. They'll buy a bird, are told that this particular species is well known for talking so they immediately start repeating things over and over even though there's no connection to other things. Many people eventually see that the bird is picking up things without it being repeated over and over plus the bird seems to be reacting to different things being said or done. So they ease up on the repetition method and are happy to see what the bird's natural capabilities are. Of course, some of those birds will never talk so that causes disappointment with the owners. They usually find out afterward that many greys won't talk in the human language but will talk in their own language. Basically all birds talk. It's up to the owner to find out what sounds belong to certain things said or done.

Though some don't end up talking, it does appear that the odds are in favor of them ending up saying something at some point in English. I have always been worried that since I give him so much attention no matter what he does, that he may not be inspired to talk. Nevertheless, I can't help but talk to the little guy. He's my only roommate and my best little friend. :)

My older bird, Lyric, doesn't talk. He'll be 4 at the end of this month. Sometimes I think he got too much attention and had no need to talk. My other grey, Sadie, will be 2 in October. She talks up a storm. I really think part of her desire and learning to talk had to do with competing for my attention with Lyric. I don't repeat words endlessly to them but I talk to them about what I'm doing, and play games with them. I'd rather them talk because they are trying to communicate and use words they know, not just mimic things they have heard. Sometimes I think Sadie talks just to get my attention but sometimes she uses words appropriately and seems to use them in the right context- I truly believe she is learning to communicate with me and make her desires known.

I never actively tried to train Biscotti to talk either. Just spent a lot of time talking to him. He said his first understandable words around 7 mo., "what'cha doin?" It has been a steady stream since then, he goes through periods of some favorite phrases & then after a while will drop it for another. A couple of his current favorites are "Look at that big cow!" and barking and saying "Thats a dog!" He cracks me up constantly and literally talks all day!! There are quiet periods of about 1/2 hour about 3 times a day. Other than that he pretty much has something to say from dawn to dusk!! I love it, he is such an entertaining companion!!

Moussa doesn't talk yet, but I have some other birds that are great talkers. They pick up what they want to pick up, and ignore the rest. They're especially apt to pick up phrases that are said with excitement, or in conjunction with some interaction they enjoy, like giving kisses or being swung on their boing. Then they learn from each other. Now, when one of them says, "Can I have a kiss?", other birds all over the bird room make kissy noises!

I'll be interested in how the process goes with Moussa, as compared to the others.

Scout's first clear words were "You're weird!" It wasn't something that I thought we said to her all that often, just when she was acting silly. The first noise she learned to make was the wolf whistle (isn't it always?). That one we started using when we were still hand feeding her, and we would wolf whistle to call her to her food and she would come flying in to her eating spot on the counter.

I didn't really drill words into her. I have tried repetition training with her, and it sometimes works. Right now, her favorite thing to say is "Tee hee!", which is something both my husband and I say when we lightly tickle her feet and/or lower haunches. She is also fond of saying "Uh-oh!" when she drops something. And isn't that a favorite game with most fids anyway?

The noises-both real and made up-are definitely her favorites in the world. I think it comes down to the mood your fid is in. If he's not in the mood to talk, then he won't. Sometimes people are like that too. But if he is in a training mood, be sure to have a favorite treat and keep the tone light and happy.

Dorian Grey...aka. Dory said his first word at about 8 months.... He did a lot of sound imitation...ie...microwave, door alarm, whistles, but his first word was Dory... Obviously he had heard that over and over again, so I think in the beginning it has a lot to do with hearing things that are related to something. He is now 20 months old and his favorite saying is still Dory, Dory, Dory.... He has picked up other phrases, but some of those he just picked up while others were taught. I have taught him to do a monkey call by repitition and also a rooster call. I think it's a combination of the two strategies... repitition and hearing a normal conversation. Dorian often hears the phrase...."Dory NO!" He now says that just before he does something he's not suppose to, like pull the leaves off of a silk tree or bite the couch. It's funny how they know what they're doing and saying. sometimes you just have to laugh.... Since Tui is imitation sounds, I bet it won't be much longer before you hear him say his first word. I'm so glad you have him back..... Enjoy every moment.... Kevin

The process of speech is an amazing mystery as individual as each of our greys. One thing though Steven, Isaac may be practicing his words while you are out. I have put a voice operated digital recorder near Kopi when I was gone and just when I thought he was going through a quiet phase, he was actually talking while I was away from him. It might give you an insight to what Isaac is doing while you are away and you might get to hear the delight he is having while you are not beside him. Even now, Kopi will stand with his back to the room and put his forehead right against the wall and talk to himself in such a tiny little voice that maybe he thinks I can not hear. Of course, when he does talk, we all immediately repeat what he said... my daughter remarked that it is the bird training the family rather than the other way around, LOL.

The process of speech is an amazing mystery as individual as each of our greys. One thing though Steven, Isaac may be practicing his words while you are out. I have put a voice operated digital recorder near Kopi when I was gone and just when I thought he was going through a quiet phase, he was actually talking while I was away from him. It might give you an insight to what Isaac is doing while you are away and you might get to hear the delight he is having while you are not beside him. Even now, Kopi will stand with his back to the room and put his forehead right against the wall and talk to himself in such a tiny little voice that maybe he thinks I can not hear. Of course, when he does talk, we all immediately repeat what he said... my daughter remarked that it is the bird training the family rather than the other way around, LOL.

This is a great idea that I have been meaning to do. A voice activated recorder, because I swear sometimes I hear a word come from him but I will either not be listening too closely or not be in the room. He loves to make noises, and I love to hear them all. He does such a good microwave now and a perfect wolf whistle among many other things. I feel like any day he is going to come out with a word.

With Isaac being flighted he can come to you when he wants. I find Kopi talks more when he sees me leave the room, if I am on the screened porch where he can see me he really cranks it up and goes through his calls to me. Java is the same way, although she isn't a grey. They make a lot of contact calls to me when I am on a different floor and I can whistle back, or sometimes initiate contact. I am thinking when we get the basement renovated, it might be fun to get an intercom system so we can hear each other. Then, I think if I ever actually get a job out of the house I would need to set up the computer to communicate with them. LOL. I already get strange looks when I forget myself and whistle suddenly in public. LOL.

Issacs most vocal moments are on the back left corner of my couch...and the shower curtain rod in the morning. I love it when he gets going. Sometimes he will hold his head high in the air and appear to be trying to get a word out, "Roolloloolooowwww". Then I will say, "Hellooooooo". Keep working with him and such. And like you say too, when I walk out of the room and he is enjoying sitting on his atom, he will get going and I will just sit in the other room and listen while he practices. He is such a wonderful little thing.

I'm new here as well, tho my CAG Gordon is 3.5yo. He says a whole menagerie of words, phrases, sounds, beeps, etc. I give him "assignments" if you will to work on when I am not at home. This gives hi the mental stimulation that greys need so very much. So, for instance I tell Gordon "Practice, be good, Practice" That way he knows that when i say practice that its a new assignment. he will practice the be good part and try until he has it right. He even tells himself to practice when he doesnt have it quite right. I sing very often to my birds. Gordon sings back. ITs very cute.

These greys certainly are wondrous and captivating little beings. It is mesmerizing to be a little mouse in the corner to hear the things they say when they are seemingly entertaining themselves. Kopi has a way of standing on the top of his cage, pressing his forehead to the wall and then talking in an nearly inaudible volume. That seems to be his practice arena. When I was holding him one night, I momentarily forgot which bird was on my hand and invaded his space with an absent minded kiss on his head. He spun around so fast I was brought to reality in a hurry. The next day, I decided to test my limits, he will generally bow his head for a scratch but doesn't like any unpredictable movements. So, I asked "how about a kiss?" and kissed my finger and made a kiss sound when I touched his head. That night as I held him, he made two of the tiniest little kiss sounds, bowed his head, closed his eyes and invited a kiss on the head. Since then, every day he makes two kissing sounds as I prepare to put in in the cage and cover him at night. Yesterday I heard him with his head pressed to the wall say "Wanna kiss?" , then make the two kisses. He changed from the words I use to a mixture of his understanding.

Averi's first word at five months was Averi. Now at almost eight months, she says good bird, pretty bird, Averi, Hi, hello, hi Averi, good morning, and bye bye. We haven't formally trained Averi to say any of these things but these are all common phrases we say to her. She is also out almost all day every day and is talked to non-stop.