NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Alex & Me "The Movie"

*bows* Thank you, thank you Dave. And while I am at it, I wanted to ask if we ever found out whether the movie producers did, in fact, make good use of the supposed *donations* received? And what does Dr. Pepperberg herself think of this movie? I have not yet seen it, by the way. Maybe Blueberrytunes could loan me her copy...

Donations---no one can really say what happens to the donations. It's just like hundreds of other organizations that ask for donations. There's really no way to tell.

What does she think?----she had a major impute into the movie much like most of the books that she's written. I wish I could really answer that question but I haven't slept with her yet. If I did, I'd have much more to convey. There's lots of controversy concerning the relationship and work that was done with Alex. There's hundreds of opinions pro and con from many people. It has to do with training, amounts of hours training, relationships with the other lab techs, feather picking that he did, reasons why he died, what the official medical diagnosis that actually caused the death. I do believe that many of the things I've read and seen shouldn't be set in stone. Personally, I feel that there's many, many other greys around that could have been Alex but that's just my opinion. She worked with the bird for 30 yrs and she's now working with others.

Edited by Dave007

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the video...watched it...now it is a 30 dollar picture on my desk at work. It's a pretty cool video...but it is compiled from a lot of online material. From what I understand...the money does go to the Alex Foundation. It makes me feel sorry for Alex though. One of the most heartbreaking things is how he would get attached to the students who would study his behavior. Then they would have to move on with their lives...leaving Alex. There are some genuinely entertaining parts though.

I have the video...watched it...now it is a 30 dollar picture on my desk at work. It's a pretty cool video...but it is compiled from a lot of online material. From what I understand...the money does go to the Alex Foundation. It makes me feel sorry for Alex though. One of the most heartbreaking things is how he would get attached to the students who would study his behavior. Then they would have to move on with their lives...leaving Alex. There are some genuinely entertaining parts though.

Thanks Stephen for the comments on this dvd.

I do know a portion of the purchase does go to the Alex Foundation.

In regards the scientific lab environment Alex was raised in. There is no doubt Irene loved Alex with her whole heart. I may view this a little differently than others. But, in reality greys kept in our homes are in an artificial environment that is very limited compared to their natural wild environment. Yes, the Lab was focused on producing demonstrable and diligently recorded data on Alex. He was trained for hours on end on very specific identification tasks and concepts such as colors, counting, math, textures and combinations or them all over years. Without Irene's and assistants tireless hours and years of the life long devotion of scientifically proving that Greys are not just mimickers, but understand exactly what the meaning behind what they are saying in our human language. This truly has shaken the staunch scientific community that still some of the old dogs will not truly accept. However, the data stands and no one can refute it.

Alex did actually enjoy many outings with Irene and he also enjoyed the lime light when public was present in various places across the land and also in the lab becoming annoyed with his young fellow greys that did not answer correctly. The reality is, he had more attention day in day out than most any of our greys do. I di however still feel pangs in my heart for him, when he would say "Wanna go back". This sometimes brings tears to my eyes thinking about how he felt. He was tired and wanted some time to decompress and just chill like all our greys do and require. Do I think he was probably in training sessions that were too long or maybe should have not taken place at all? Yes!!! Especially when I know at the end with that underlying heart condition he without a doubt did not feel well, but no one knew it or recognized it.

However, I do not think it was abuse and I do know Alex and Irene ROCKED the scientific world with undeniable truth back by data. The work and data continues as Irene brings the present greys like griffith along and her devotion to them is without question. They gave us all insight into just how intelligent these amazing sentient living creatures known as Greys are, that we have been blessed to share their lives with us in our homes. I know I for one look at Dayo and am awe inspired. Mainly due to Dr. Pepperbergs and Alex's life long work and devotion.

Pretty strong feelings get stirred up when it comes to Alex it seems. It feel it just means we are very in tune with these birds and love them an incredible amount. Otherwise why would any of us stop to say a thing about them at all. The root emotion is love for Greys. :)

LOL...I mean any argument for the love, kindness and fair treatment of Greys is a good one.

Edited by Elvenking