NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pitting Grapes

Birdnut

Okay, this is probably a dumb question. But do you pit your (seedless) grapes before feeding? :confused:

I have been so paranoid about the seeds, that I have been pitting even the seedless grapes, since there may be a tiny little seed there. Is this really necessary?

Okay, this is probably a dumb question. But do you pit your (seedless) grapes before feeding? :confused:

I have been so paranoid about the seeds, that I have been pitting even the seedless grapes, since there may be a tiny little seed there. Is this really necessary?

If, your lucky, and can find grapes "with seeds", give one to your bird, most birds will go straight for the seed, the best part...Grape seeds are good!!!

Note: THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!

If, your lucky, and can find grapes "with seeds", give one to your bird, most birds will go straight for the seed, the best part...Grape seeds are good!!!

Ooooo, I never knew this! I have been buying the more expensive seedless grapes just so I did not have to pit them. Now I know better, I can save a bit of money LOL :)

Quote: Without fail, they first dig out the seeds and devour them with a look that lets you know they think they have found a food treasure! And they are right. Just ask the price of the newest and most expensive anti-oxidant at your health food store. Grape Seed Extract (or OPC, oligomeric procyanidins) is one of the most potent antioxidants known--fifty times as powerful as Vitamin E, according to some tests. This is a completely non-toxic material which has been used in Europe for forty years. In France, it is the foremost drug used to treat varicose veins. It also is used in Europe, and now here, to treat eye problems, arthritis, hay fever and other allergies, nosebleeds, and even Attention Deficit Disorder. According to Doane & Qualkinbush, authors of MY PARROT, MY FRIEND, feather plucking in parrots has been successfully treated with a similar anti-oxidant called Pycnogenol, pronounced pik-NOD-ja-nol, which is the same material as grapeseed extract, but taken from the bark of a French maritime pine tree. The anti-oxidant qualities of Pycnogenol and Grape Seed Extract are the same but Grape Seed Extract is less expensive. Not only the seeds of grapes are healing but the fruit itself also is a very versatile remedy. It has been used effectively in the treatment of herpes viruses and heart conditions, among others.Un-Quote: