NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Quality Stainless steel?

lovethatgrey

I you're thinking about getting the best quality SS, then that would be surgical grade ( type 304). Cages usually have the type that's used imprinted on it. Type 304 stainless steel and it's usued for the food and dairy industry, beverage industries, chemical processing equipment, heat exchangers, household appliances such as stoves, dishwashers, counter tops, sinks etc. Any rust that develops is usually from an external source and it only needs to be scrubbed off. Rust remover isn't necessary and it can't be used on bird cages anyway. As far as quality, well I really don't know if they use that extremely high quality SS but just think about all of the food/water bowls made of SS in pet stores. It's not the best quality but resists water, droppings etc. The droppings are about the most acidic item item in a bird cage and it doesn't affect any type of SS.

Oh, I forgot, the high grade SS also used in construction when building homes.

Thanks for the very thoughtful reply Dave. Much appreciated. Today Tricia from Expandable Habitats told me one of the tests one can use is by placing a magnet on the metal that is *supposedly* stainless steel. If it holds then it isn't a very good quality stainless steel..

Last year I purchased a custom made stainless steel cage and I tried the magnet thing and to my dismay, it did hold on every part except the tray. I've been told that the tray was outsourced.

I don't know what to think. I spent a ridiculously huge amount on that cage and now I am wondering what it is *truly* made of.

The cage that I will be purchasing from Expandable Habitats is made out of 304 non magnetic stainless steel.

Edited by lovethatgrey

I bought a ss cage off of craigslist. It was new, the lady bought it from her bird club because it was a good deal. She uses outdoor flight cages. But I don't know what quality it is. I have not seen anything stamped on it either. Is there a certain place they stamp the grade on the cage?

You shouldn't worry about it though. Any cage that's SS is fine to use. You shouldn't have any problems with it. How about your knives and forks and spoons? Not the best SS but they last and last and they go through a lot more wear and tear than a bird cage and they have plenty of chemicals on them throughout their lifetime.

I practiced architecture for years. A number of years ago, we had the stainless steel hardware on exterior doors begin to show rust (which it should never have done given the grade of stainless steel specified), and found on investigation that the contractor had substituted an inferior grade of hardware finish for the specified type. The contractor had to change out the hardware at his own cost. We proved his deception through the use of magnets. This substitution is common practice among manufacturers to maximize profits. I noticed on gas stainless steel barbecue grills a few years ago, that the only stainless that was of high grade was the actual burner. All other stainless would attract a magnet and therefore would eventually slowly show rust.

You are doing well to check your purchase before hand. If we all refuse to purchase inferior materials, eventually those manufacturing with inferior materials may get the message.

If the magnet is weak (like a refrigerator magnet) then there will only be a weak pull.

If the magnet is weak (like a refrigerator magnet) then there will only be a weak pull.

By the way ... a bit of steel wool will remove any rust that eventually forms on stainless steel of lower quality. If someone inadvertently purchases a lower nickel content stainless cage instead of a type 304 stainless cage, don't beat yourself up over it. Just remove any corrosion that forms. It is still better than painted or powder coated cages. The magnet test (and I take a strong magnet with me if I intend to purchase something that is stainless steel) is good to identify before purchase.

Edited by harmonicaman68
add more info

Yes. No pull would mean top quality stainless from a corrosion resistance perspective. The weak pull means it is stainless, but with less nickel. Strong pull would indicate it is just plain steel or iron. No pull means it is stainless of such a quality that the nickel content (which provides the degree of corrosion resistance) is high enough to reduce the pull of the magnet entirely.

I practiced architecture for years. A number of years ago, we had the stainless steel hardware on exterior doors begin to show rust (which it should never have done given the grade of stainless steel specified), and found on investigation that the contractor had substituted an inferior grade of hardware finish for the specified type. The contractor had to change out the hardware at his own cost. We proved his deception through the use of magnets. This substitution is common practice among manufacturers to maximize profits. I noticed on gas stainless steel barbecue grills a few years ago, that the only stainless that was of high grade was the actual burner. All other stainless would attract a magnet and therefore would eventually slowly show rust.

You are doing well to check your purchase before hand. If we all refuse to purchase inferior materials, eventually those manufacturing with inferior materials may get the message.

Thank you very much!! I appreciate this type of feedback

• Haha 1