NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

GPS for Greys

Drew

Hello,

As a new potential owner of an African Grey, I've heard so many heart-rending stories of owners with the best intentions accidentally losing their birds. Not that I would have any grand illusions of trying to free fly my bird, and of course be careful with windows/doors but accidents DO happen.

Are there any tiny GPS products out there that have the capability of being attached to a bird? (the size of a band for instance?)

I certainly would want to attach anything huge to the bird, but if the technology is there to have a tiny GPS transponder, that'd be awesome.

Thanks,

-Drew

I would maybe all some vets around and make sure they have some kind of experience in birds if they do then ask them if they know of any kind of GPS transponder ... i be live they have them for dogs and are as small as a pill so i would think if you wanted one ... one would be out there some where .... might have to get it over seas ... but if you do that then unless you can check it online there would be now way to use it over here ... good question....lets see what pops up in this thread!

C'mon nano-technology. The day that they make a device small enough....I will get one...it'll happen. I actually asked this a couple weeks after I got Issac. This would be so helpful.

The ones I have seen for dogs are rather large...least the ones I have seen. If you have an image of one that is the size of a pill...now that is inspiring.

Edited by Elvenking

I sent a request for more information to the company who makes the Feather Lite devices for the study of birds. They seem to be designed to track the movements and migration of flighted animals. Some of their devices look to be as if they are approaching the size you would need to keep the bird safe and comfortable. I sent a very good message that explained how all of us in the Parrot loving community would love to see something come to market for locating lost birds. I eagerly await their response, as this is a market that would really be profitable to get into. I can;t begin to tell you what i would pay for such a device, and i won;t be telling them that either. LOL. I shall keep all aware of the communication. Here is the site if you want to send your own request.

http://www.telemetrysolutions.com/quantum-4000-feather-lite.php

It's something I thought about straight away. I thought that you might be able to get a GPS microchip inserted just like a standard microchip but not at the moment. Don't think it will be too long before this is something we can actually do with our greys & considering how long they live should be possible with are own greys in the future.

So just watch this space.