NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Some general questions before choosing a grey

cass

Hi All

I have a few questions with regard to choosing a grey I hope to welcome next year?

Firstly is there much of a difference in temperment or bonding between male and female greys?(I'm female!...lol)

Also do Female afican greys lay eggs routinely? If so do ALL females do this and at what age? Maybe sounds like a stupid question but i am at the beginnings of my research!

Any advice you may have in my choice of sex of grey would be greatly appreciated...or links to this info

thanks

cass

Edited by cass

First there are no stupid questions and if you don't ask you might not find out the answers so ask any questions you like.

I think there is little difference in the temperament of either the male or female, maybe the male might be a little more agressive but our experts here will confirm that for us, I have a female but have never dealt with a male so I would not know.

I don't think that just because they are female birds that means they will lay eggs, I am hoping mine never does and if you don't provide them with anything to make a nest out of or encourage that behavior then it should be fine. Josey is 4 years old so she is nor quite mature yet but I am not going to worry about her laying eggs until it happens.

Some people think that a male will bond easier with another male or vice versa is a myth, sometimes a grey will prefer one sex over another but they can have great relationships with all members of a family and it helps to start that socializing early to ensure a well rounded grey.

thanks judy....of all the bird traits and "baggage" my partner is most afraid of egg laying!!!he simply can't cope with that idea...lol....i have a 3yr old daughter so socialization and preventing agression will be very top of my list....she won't be allowed contact with the grey until she is older and able to understand clearly my instruction with regard to our grey....she is good with the kaks who have never even nipped her...they sit on her head and shoulder and play with her hair...she is very good around them and helps with their feeding time but a grey is a different matter....

also if anyone has small children with a grey do you allow access?how does your grey get on with them?

My children are grown but I have 3 grandkids who I do not allow to get close to Josey for she is leery of them but she is not aggressive towards them but I have a sun conure who does not like young children, she has bitten both of my grand girls, one just this past week. She will fly to her if she comes near me and tries to bite her and of course she succeeded before I could get her off her so she stayed in her cage for the remainder of their visit. The older one has been bitten in the past but she is 9 years old now and learning that moving slowly she is allowing her to touch her now so when the younger one gets older she will be ok with her too.