NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I have a problem

Nellie

I have a problem, not the bird I. He is going to have one soon I think. Maybe someone can order me what to do. Let me tell you………. My gray is one and a half years old. I have not stopped feeding him in the mornings and evenings. I give him food during the day, but I think he only nibble them, playing maybe I don’t know. He is having a ball. I feel sorry for him, I can’t stop feeding him. I have a problem. I am not disciplined enough. Is there help for me and my gray? I put veggies and fruits out for him. He does not eat sunflower and peanuts. Is there any tips? Or just ……Let me know what you think.:( :blush:

Greetings Nellie,

If you concern is that your routine with your grey has made him/you inflexible then you need to focus on gradually changing the routine. When you say "you cant stop feeding him" do you mean you are hand feeding him, or are you just offering food to him in bowls throughout the day? If the latter is the case its really not much of a concern as you really want to always have some food available to them. Please provide some more info. It sounds to me like one way or another this is not an emergency and if you identify the areas you have concerns about its just a matter of putting together a game plan to address those concerns in a step wise manner. B) Certainly discipline is required as you move to shape routines, behaviors etc. You should be fine, just study the issue, decide on a plan and go about executing it. Make it fun!! ;)

dblhelix wrote:

Greetings Nellie,

You should be fine, just study the issue, decide on a plan and go about executing it. Make it fun!! ;)

That is great advice Mark!

It will all boil down to discipline and sticking with the plan once it's laid out.

Nellie,

I view it as just the opposite, you have a heart big enough for several people! :-)

But, you need to start tapering off the hand feedings and just placing the normal food in front of him if He's hungry.

I can see from your Photos, that you treat him like a King. Which of course, the others of us here to the same.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/08/16 23:09

dblhelix great advice :)

Nellie you need to be strong & start a new routine, personally i would only give a small hand feed in the evening before bed, this way you know your bird will have a nice full crop.The rest of the time you need to leave normal food for him, gradually as he gets use to this you can then limit the night time hand feeds.He needs to explore new foods,textures & flavours.

Yes, Nellie, I see a big heart too, and you do need to try to wean himself and you off the feedings, although I do feed my grey some baby food and such in the mornings with a spoon, but you are doing it more than once a day and you need to get out of this cycle. Try offering him other foods, especially veggies and eat some yourself in front of him to encourage him to try it.

You sound like you don't have much self control but you can do this if you set your mind to it and then do it. Like the Nike commercial, "just do it". :P

Sounds like you just need to decrease the amount of hand feeding. Dont stop cold turkey, but truly decrease it. Maybe set aside foods each day that will be the only "hand fed" volume and stop at that. Find other ways besides feeding to spend time and play/interact with your bird since he no doubt associates eating as play time. You'll be fine. B) It will be a gradual process, but if you commit to it you will succeed!! :P<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/08/16 23:35

You can hand feed him all your life if you like but I would stop handfeding the formula. It can make them fat.

Try plain oatmeal instead or warmed up human organic baby food or baby cereal with no additives.

My grey well still take food from the syringe or spoon. However mine does not get it everyday Im lazy that way. lol

This well come in handy if you ever have to give meds.

Nellie wrote:

What divern't kind of foods are there to give?:blink:<br><br>Post edited by: Nellie, at: 2007/08/17 08:51

Hi Nellie,

My first question would be, what type of foods do you presently give him?

You can provide a wide variety. Vegetables, Fruits, Nuts and Seeds.

For a complete list of ideas on foods, you should go read all the posts in the Foods Room here. Many members post with topics on what their Grey likes and how they vary the foods from meal to meal, day to day.

Your Grey will not hate you for adding some excitement to his meal times, that he may not have presently. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/08/17 12:48

Nellie,

There is another reason you should try to cut down on the hand-feeding.

If you need to go away for a few days, or on holiday, or are ill in hospital, etc, and someone else looks after your AG, they may not have the time or desire to handfeed him. And he may not allow anyone else to handfeed him.

So, if he is not used to eating other foods, then he might become ill and underweight in such a situation. Your AG should be foraging for his food himself by now (ie, feeding himself from food you give him to eat in or out of his cage).

I don't want to sound harsh, but you're not doing him (or yourself) any favours by continuing to give him his feeds by hand. You really need to make a good effort to change his and your habits in this respect. Dan has suggested some diet options, which are eminently sensible.<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/08/17 13:21