NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cage Odour

Xtreme575

I'll admit that I have a very sensitive sense of smell, but I'm looking for some advice on deodorizing Paco's cage.

I try to be very vigilant in making sure his cage remains clean, pulling out soiled paper daily, and cleaning perches. I do a total scrub down down each week using water, "Poop-Off" and a mild soap followed by a rinse.

Next month I will have had Paco for a year, this week, I've noticed that there is a gamey odour coming from the cage. For all intents and purposes the cage appears to be really clean. I've pulled out the trays, gone in between the bars, I just can't seem to get the smell out.

I'm wondering what others use to help fight odour from your cages. I have a powder-coated Avian Adventures cage, and live in an apartment style condo. Due to this it is impossible to "hose" it down, and a pressure wash voids the warranty. So, I'm down to scrubbing in house... Ideas on effective bird safe solutions? I've read that grape seed extract is effective, but then been told that it is not good for the birds...

Any help would be appreciated.

25% vinegar mixed with 75% water is great for cleaning cages. Many people use it and whatever odor is left by the solution disappears quickly. Works just as good if not better than commercial cage cleaners. It's a great cleaner and takes away general odors from a cage but *deodorizing Paco's cage*? Deodorizers usually just mask the smell so it may be important to find out where the smell is actually coming from.

Percent of vinegar can vary.

Edited by Dave007

Great, thanks guys! I'll give it a try. Jay, I'm using the apple cider vinegar for his veggies already, you got me started on that months ago, but I'll do as you both suggest and try cleaning with it. Dave, I can't help but think that the odour has just accumulated over the year, but I'm going to keep digging around, make sure nothing is hiding on me... But it smells mostly gamey, like an animal, and its the worst when I put my head inside the cage. Toys are clean too. I've given him a bit of fresh corn on the cob now that it is in season, I can't help but wonder if that is what is doing it... It's the only "different" think from what he normally has/does.

Thanks Jay, I'm happy to report that I've been paying attention to all my more senior birders. I'm cooking the corn, more than probably necessary, but I worry about hidden mold, and yes, out it comes after a short time.

;)I was pretty sure you practiced that, When you get old, you forget what you said 10 minutes ago, What were we talking about? :confused:

I'm really trying to be a vigilant student of ornithology heeding all advice given. Haha! I'm becoming a party favourite with much of the information that I'm learning from all of you, I can't tell you how many people I have converted from organic veggies to washing with the organic apple cider vinegar, and other interesting tidbits that the members of this forum have given me.