Palm nuts.

lovemyGreys

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also have the same question as the other. Has anyone ordered from the site mentioned just earlier? Beside's having palm nuts -and only haveing to order small amounts worth- what are their other foods like? I'm interested, especially theh palm fruit but some of the other foods that site mentioned look good.?

Carynn

Dan - the site below where I ordered some has them in much smaller quantities...16oz for $16.75 (plus shipping which for my whole order...I got some GSE and two bags of their bird-elicious foods...was $10.82 as I was a first-time customer).

http://store.bird-elicious.com/nobutpanu16.html

I'll post when I get the palm nuts and food from them and let people know what I (and more importantly, my fids, think of it).

Lisa

Thanks for that Lisa, it would be great to share your experience with this site & of course what your birds opinions are ;)

A tip for the palm nuts, i defrost mine in a cup of hot boiled water,once the water has gone cold, approx an hour i give them a pinch with my fingers which opens them up a little.If your birds find the whole nut a bit much at first, peel strips of for them ;) It's the pulp they eat.

Terri i know that the majority of UK suppliers ship palm nuts out frozen,Palm Nuts should be stored frozen, because of the high oil content you can refreeze them on receipt without any effect on taste or quality. Each day take out the quantity of palm nuts you require,mine have one each a day.As for shelf life in the freezer i buy in bulk & i have kept them in my freezer for a few months at a time.I will try & find out exactly how long they can be stored for.:)

I ordered some palm nuts for Romo, as well as a bag of the African Grey food. The ingredient list sounded yummy and Romo usually likes trying new foods. The order arrived today, and they also included a free bag of fruit cereal as well as a toy! Very nice company.

So far, Romo isn't interested in the palm nuts, though. I've tried keeping them from him - and pretending I am eating them. The little stinker better start enjoying them, they weren't cheap by the time I paid for shipping and everything! :angry:

Thanks for the tip Tracy. I ordered some fresh Palm Nuts from that link in this thread also. Can't wait to get them and see how Dayo responds to them.

I did read that they recommend freezing them immediately upon arrival to ensure they do not spoil. Then just take out a few a day, thaw, wash and give them to them.

How many a day do you give yours Tracy?

Well I got my new Bird-elicious foods and the palm nuts today. My CAG wouldn't have anything to do with them. My female SI just about lost her mind when I walked into the room and dropped a palm nut into my Grey's treat bowl. I don't think it even hit the bottom before she flew over to the Grey's cage and ran towards the bowl. I took her back to her cage and gave her one in her treat bowl and she proceeded to rip into that thing and shred it like mad. I don't think she actually consumed much at all of the fibrous fruit but boy did she have fun! It happened so fast I didn't even have time to get new batteries put into my camera to take a picture.

I did end up smashing them up a bit so they could see what was on the inside but the other two (male SI and CAG) just looked at me with their "you've gotta be kidding" look.

As for the Bird-elicious food itself, again my female SI devoured it, which is great. She came into my family after having 3 1/2 years of a diet of almost all seeds and a poor-quality pellets. Thankfully she'll just dive into anything new so transitioning her hasn't been a problem (still not great on fresh veggies but if I chop them all up super fine and mix together she'll eat them). I like the fact that you can mix the foods with warm (filtered) water to soften it up as my male and CAG are more likely to try new foods if they're of the "cooked" variety. I also like the fact that they have no added vitamins and no preservatives, pesticides, artificial coloring, sugars, starches...everything in the ingredients list is actually identifyable without a dictionary or a google look-up!

I'm going to keep trying with my CAG on the palm nuts (and I think I may need to limit them to a couple a week for my ekkies...need to check with the vet on that). I hope she starts to enjoy them. I'm sure it will happen in time.

Lisa

:laugh: how funny im sure amongst her crazy shredding she managed to eat a little flesh ;)

With your Cag & Si just perhaps use one palm nut & peel some flesh of for them,you wont waste to many that way,im sure in a few days they will come round.

Karma for you for checking the ekkies limits with the vet.:)

Makena wrote:

Hey Check this out!!!!

http://store.bird-elicious.com/nobutpanu16.html

Looks like this company takes pre-orders (IN THE US) and ships as orders are received. And you only have to buy 1 lb. (although it is $15.25/lb). They only ship for a few months out of the year. Maybe this would work for some of you mainlanders!

oooo Book marked and will order tomorrow! Looks like they're in now! Thanks Makena!!

I wanted to thank Danmq for the address for the palm nuts. I did order the nuts, sent for 2#'s but then between my Mom and I we have 9 parrots. Thats really funny what happened to Lisa and I have no doubt that will happen in my home when I give them their new food. I didn't order their food though. I kind of wanted to know if anyone on this site has and what do you think about it. Since they don't really supply any pictures and in reading the macaws (mealworms and bugs etc) though I agree w/their concept, I kind of am squirmy about ordering right off.

Christo