Palm nuts.

lovemyGreys

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Christo - I did order the bird-elicious food from them to add to my dry mix. My ekkies both love it...and again my female ekkie will charge over to my CAG's cage to try to eat hers (it's a different species mix though so I'm not letting her even though it's probably still okay). My grey will only eat it right now if I hand-feed her little pieces or if I add warm water to it and make it the consistency of chunky baby food...they ALL love it then!

It has a lot of great ingredients (and nothing that required a Google look-up to see what it is!). I'm still trying to wean my grey off the Pretty Bird African Grey pellets she loves so much. It's a slow process but the more things I can get her to eat, the better.

I did get her to try a little of the palm nut fruit...but I had to take the nut itself out and dice up the fruit more.

Lisa

Hi guys, Well I just got my palm nuts yesterday and washed and freezed them today. I also GAVE them to my guys and this evening I also THREW AWAY the palm nuts. How so depressing. I'll try again tomorrow but this time I guess I am going to have to eat one infront of them. You would think birds who love grapes and such would give them a try. Nope, not my guys. I live in a small condo area and a few of the palm trees (now that I see these) grow what look like the same thing. The trees don't grow tall like the palm trees around here normally do so am wondering if these are the one and the same palm nuts. No one around here knows, I asked. Figures since everyone here hasn't lived here from the begining of when buildt(1973). If pigions eat them wouldn't they be okay for my guys as long as I washed them?

Christo

Christo without a picture i wouldn't advise using the ones from the palm tree, do you know if the trees have been treated in anyway with pesticides ? & if the pigeons are using the tree there is the risk of disease.The main source i know of for palm nut supply is a managed plantation in SE Asia,They are also shipped from West Africa.

• 4 weeks later...

Romo didn't like the palm nuts the first few times I offered them. Then I forgot all about them in the freezer for a month - and tried again. Now he LOVES them! I guess he had to decide on his own terms.

He also likes the food I bought from BirdDelicious - I give it along with the Hagen Tropicans and Tropimix that he adores, plus fruits and veggies. He's an easy baby to keep happy!:laugh:

It took Dayo about a week to actually start eating them. He would just check out the texture of the skin at first. Then a little more and a little more and now he eats them leaving the skin.

I only thaw out two and give them to him each day or so. Sometimes that flesh sure makes a mess of his beak when it dries :-)

So just keep offering them and sooner or later they will eat it...just like any new food. B)

• 1 month later...

danmcq wrote:

Actually, yes lovemygreys. I will get with the Breeder here and obtain a list of the persons that are purchasing the other 5 Grey Babies she has.

Networking with people always benefits all and it is a great idea, Thanks!! :laugh:

Hiya - whereabouts in the UK are you based - I am in London - does anyone else know of any other grey owners in London?

xxx

Emma & Sensei....x

guys.. i dont know if we have palm nuts in here( egypt ) nor the palm oil it self.. maybe its underanother name.. pls can u add few pics please.. so i saw the fruit i can recognize it.

what is the colour of the oil?

btw can i give my parrots coconut??

coconut is fine, i personally drain the milk,drill a hole & hang it up for then to eat or you can take out the coconut & use the shell to make a toy.I havent a picture at present pf the palm nut, if you have a look at the front page of this thread you should be able to see my greys eating the palm nut :)