NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What's the secret to having more than one large parrot?

Kevin

As I scan through so many threads on this forum it dawns on me that most of you have another large bird in combination with your Grey. Some of you have several. I would love to have a Macaw, but just don't know how to do it... My Grey takes so much of my time and attention that I keep putting that thought on the back burner. But, then I read these threads and think... there must be a way. How the heck do you do it??? My hat goes off to you and I really want to know the secret. I love my Grey....Dorian.... but also have a fondness for Macaws. I'm just trying to pick some brains out there and to find out if this could be a possible reality for me. Thanks. Kevin

well...i have a cockatoo and a grey. my grey loves to sit in one place and talk and be talked to and ride around on a finger or shoulder...

my cockatoo, is all over the place and down and running around and cuddling and in on one chair at one second and climbing up your pant leg the next.

But it works. it's chaos but it's fun!

hopefully someone else will have more answers since i've really only had both birds less than a year

It's good that you realize that your grey takes up alot of your time and attention which should tell you

1---don't get a macaw unless you can provide loads of attention and time and a massive space and cage for it and lots of freedom out of that cage.

2---don't get the
largest
parrot that exists which is a macaw.

3---don't get a macaw which can possibly cause trouble for you in your house and trouble for your grey and other members of the family. If you are new to parrots and are in the process trying to build up a very close relation with your grey, a macaw as well as other large parrots can upset your plan of action. Someone who has dealt with macaws for quite a while can deal with them. They'd be the first people to say a person who is a newbie in the parrot world should stay away from a macaw if a person hasn't a complete knowledge of parrots. A newbie person needs a lot of experience learning about parrots in general before taking on a macaw.

4---Don't get a macaw because you find that the beauty of the macaw is lovely to the eye because that'll become minor after you deal with it.

5---Don't get a macaw if you're new to the world of
medium sized parrots
because even medium sized parrots can be a handful.

6---Don't get a macaw if you can't tolerate an extremely loud bird. Macaws don't know what a low pitch is since they don't have one. They've been known to bother neighbors.

7---Don't get a macaw if you're very leery of getting bitten by that huge beak. They can break a finger and they know when you're leery of them.

8---Don't get a macaw if you have no idea of what kind of the personality each type has. Different macaws have totally different personalities which dictates which one an experienced person decides on. Different personalities also dictate which is a family bird and which isn't. One of the most aggressive yet one of the most stunningly beautiful macaws is the Scarlett macaw. They aren't a family bird.

Greys, Amazons, Ekkies are considered
medium sized
birds.

Cockatoos are considered
medium to medium large sized
parrots

Macaws are considered
large to largest sized parrots

Edited by Dave007

We also were on and off on getting a B&G Macaw. Fortunately, we were able to interact wit all types of Macaws at our breeder friends on a constant basis. The decision not to get one was simple, after considering that our Grey takes all the time and attention we have. We do have a conure, but he is fine just flying around getting snacks and watching the action without much need of attention.

Dave was spot on in all counts.

Dave is always spot on, just when you think you want one Dave comes along and brings you back to reality, yes I love those big macaws but not to have to deal with on a daily basis, I know my limits and they were the grey and the sun conure and then that cockatiel landed in my lap so three is my limit, I will admire other's big birds but they are not for me.

6---Don't get a macaw if you can't tolerate an extremely loud bird. Macaws don't know what a low pitch is since they don't have one. They've been known to bother neighbors.

This is no joke! I had some people that lived 3 BLOCKS AWAY (or about 500 yards away) with a macaw....and it was incredibly loud from there. I am fully vested in my venture to have a AG in my life...and I would never...EVER chance a Macaw. It scares me.

I have 2 greys, an amazon and 2 parakeets. I never intended on getting more than the one grey..Talon, but circumstances happened that resulted in my others.. I LOVE having such a variety of personalities, quirks, etc. It definitely is a lot more work, but with that is triple the fun! I also have 4 kids, and it really is no different than that. One kid vs, 4. However, the kids grow up and move on ( hopefully) the birds will not......:) So, I will have devoted companions for life!

I do make certain that they all get some special time with me at night, and each one is talked to by name. Also, I will always talk to each one, never singling out just one. If one does or says something cute and is made a big deal of, then I am sure to talk about it to the others. All get individual places in my home that the others won't venture on to, mostly because I have never put them there in hopes of feeling special in their own way.

:)

Thank you for the advice. I think I will have to pass on the idea of a Macaw. I am aware of the noise element and the size and possible aggression issues, which I think I could handle, however, I just can't justify the time it would take away from Dorian. He is so dependent upon me and cherishes his time out of his cage. I know I would feel extremely guilty and feel that I had betrayed him. So, no Macaw for me. Dorian enjoys being out and playing and to cut that off from him would be devastating. So, I will heed your good advice.

Thanks again.... Kevin

This is no joke! I had some people that lived 3 BLOCKS AWAY (or about 500 yards away) with a macaw....and it was incredibly loud from there. I am fully vested in my venture to have a AG in my life...and I would never...EVER chance a Macaw. It scares me.

I'll put our 3 Sun/Jenday/Gold Capped conures up against a Macaw in a noise making competition any day!