NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Here

Hi all! I just stumbled upon this site while doing my research on greys. I am gathering as much information as possible - so I hope it's ok to ask questions as from the few posts I've already read it seems as if there are some great grey owners here.

Look forward to getting to know some of you!

Becky

Thanks! We don't have a grey yet. We are trying to do extensive research before buying. This is something I've always wanted, but my husband has reservations because of things we have heard about these birds being partial to one person (or one sex). I think he thinks I'm going to turn the bird against him. LOL Like I said - I want to learn as much as possible & this seems like a great place to do so.

Hello, Becky, and welcome to the family, we are glad you joined. You may ask us any questions you may have, we will do our best to answer each and every one.

Please give us some more information if you would, like how old your grey is, how long you have had it and what its name is. And if you have a pic you want to post we would be delighted, we love pics.

Can't wait to hear more about your grey.:)

LOL Yes - as I said we are trying to do extensive research on them before we get one. I am in touch with a breeder in NC (about 10 hours from me) & he has 2 babies still available. So I really need to get going on learning about cages, food, etc.

Does anyone have any personal experience suggestions on whether the grey will automatically take up with a man or woman? I've tried to read quite a bit about this & I'm finding more & more answers in that it's dependent upon who all handles them as much the birds 'personal preference'. As I said earlier, my husband is just determined the bird will not like one of us.

Also - we have 2 daughters (ages 9 & 6). Any input on how a grey will fit into a family of 4?

Welcome beckymac!!

Greys do not bond with the opposite sex as many website articles tend to imply.

They will also be more likely to accept most anyones attention if you have properly socialized with as many people as possible.

I have a baby Grey named Dayo, 16 weeks old that has already met and interacted with around 13 people so far.

He allows them to pick him up, give him head scratches etc.

The more people, items, toys you expose your new Grey to the better well rounded and less fearful of new people or things he will be.

The outcome of how well your Grey turns out, rests mainly on you and the environment you provide for him.

We welcome all your questions. There are members here with decades of experience.

Again, welcome :-)

Thank you dan! I assume that is a pic of your baby. Very adorable. I am getting rather excited about finding a grey for our family.

Thanks again for everyone's warm welcome & input. I gotta warn you - I will ask lots of questions! This seems like a great place to get honest answers!

Becky

You can ask us any question you may have, we will try to give you the best possible answer. We are all a family of grey lovers here and we love helping each other with our problems.

It is common for greys to bond with one person but it is unlikely to if it is socialized with contact with as many different people as possible.

We look forward to hearing more about your grey quest and keep us informed as to what you do find out and certainly when you get one, we want pictures.