NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Psychological trauma like I have never seen - need help

babysweet

wow this is exactly what I am going through with my CAG, i am lost on what to do also. he has been to vet cant find anything wrong, only changes in my house were when my oldest daughter moved back home,

my bird thrashes around his cage whenever you go near it, he refuses to come out anymore, we just started adding a sedative to his water 2 days ago so far nothing has changed.

I got mine directly from breeder after being handfed and weaned, he is almost 2 now and this has been going on for 7 months..

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
wow this is exactly what I am going through with my CAG, i am lost on what to do also. he has been to vet cant find anything wrong, only changes in my house were when my oldest daughter moved back home,

my bird thrashes around his cage whenever you go near it, he refuses to come out anymore, we just started adding a sedative to his water 2 days ago so far nothing has changed.

I got mine directly from breeder after being handfed and weaned, he is almost 2 now and this has been going on for 7 months..

wow i hope you find out whats going on. My cag is still a baby at 13 weeks, so i would like to keep myself aware of behavior issues like this just incase my little luna starts to show this behavior i may know how to address it.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar issue with Skooter. Skooter came to me from a self-proclaimed behavoralist/rescuer. Skooter was supposidly used as a vollyball/soccer ball by the couple who had him, but turns out was the personal bird of the person who gave him too me. I have unknown factories in Skooters history that I will never know. We were told, ashamed I didn't know better, to let him throw himself down, corner him and then let him step up. Honestly, this has never worked for us, when Skooter has thrown him down it has been so tramatic I have had to step out of the house because I am upset. My husband remains, watches TV quietly and lets Skooter compose himself. To me we have spent several months being counter productive. Skooter does not step up willingly unless he feels threatened. He will step up onto a perch after much comotion to exit his cage. Lately, we have been opening his cage and walking away, letting Skooter decide if he is coming out or not. Then we attempt to have him step up on a perch and take him to a play stand or to hang out with us in the family room. I hate to say this but anytime we approach to have him step up he screams, not necessarily throws himself down but it takes some encouragement unless Skooter feels threatened to get on that perch. I am at a bit of a loss at where to begin with Skooter. It's feels like ground zero.

I have a similar issue with Skooter. Skooter came to me from a self-proclaimed behavoralist/rescuer. Skooter was supposidly used as a vollyball/soccer ball by the couple who had him, but turns out was the personal bird of the person who gave him too me. I have unknown factories in Skooters history that I will never know. We were told, ashamed I didn't know better, to let him throw himself down, corner him and then let him step up. Honestly, this has never worked for us, when Skooter has thrown him down it has been so tramatic I have had to step out of the house because I am upset. My husband remains, watches TV quietly and lets Skooter compose himself. To me we have spent several months being counter productive. Skooter does not step up willingly unless he feels threatened. He will step up onto a perch after much comotion to exit his cage. Lately, we have been opening his cage and walking away, letting Skooter decide if he is coming out or not. Then we attempt to have him step up on a perch and take him to a play stand or to hang out with us in the family room. I hate to say this but anytime we approach to have him step up he screams, not necessarily throws himself down but it takes some encouragement unless Skooter feels threatened to get on that perch. I am at a bit of a loss at where to begin with Skooter. It's feels like ground zero.

i dont understand much of what you said but if i were you I would get your bird to a avian vet.

Dr. Jeffery Kenton Flamingo Pet Clinic

2675 E. Flamingo Rd.

Las Vegas, NV 89121 (702)734-9761

http://www.flamingopetclinic.vetsuite.com/Templates/ContentPages/Clinic_Info/OurServices.aspx

Dr. Mary Lee, Lone Mountain Animal Hospital

6688 W. Cheyenne Ave.

Las Vegas, NV 98108 (702)645-3116

http://lmah.net/

Jakob, is not suffering from epilepsy. He is suffering from the lack of routine parrenting. The " one" regular parent that he associated with... left him. He has no idea, what a true family is. He CAN hurt himself, if the behavior, is not dealt with. I can only say, your commitment will be BIG! Are you interested, and can you commit? Its not just you, but who lives with you. The fact that he is not chewing his feathers, is amazing! That is a serious plus, and makes me think behavior modification, after trust and routine, will help this baby. It can happen. Only, if you have time and are willing to dedicate. Nancy

I feel badly seeing this thread reactivated. It's almost a year & a half old. The OP spent a great deal of time finding the best possible help & working w/this bird. There was even a blog chronicling "Jakob's Journey" for a while. But it ended a few months in, and I suspect badly. Whatever happened to this poor guy was extraordinarily severe trauma. I also suspect it possibly led to irreparable physical damage. But that's my uneducated, long distance, thirty second hand, very humble opinion.

The only thing I do know is how badly I still feel for everyone concerned. I wish the OP hadn't abandoned this thread & GF because it was an extreme situation w/so many insights. But I also realize that no one could have invested so very much into this fid w/o suffering tremendously if he ultimately couldn't have been saved. Which is actually another reason why I wish she'd stayed & maybe been able to benefit from the support of everyone who was so touched by her having shared their journey.

Edited by birdhouse

• 2 weeks later...
I just read through all nine pages of this thread, hoping to both learn about the situation and about rehabilitating birds in general. I clicked on the link to the blog and found it had been deleted. Does anyone know why this is?

The person who originally put the blog link in, simply decided to remove it. Everyone can edit their own links/replies.

What happened has nothing to do with anything concerning the board or it's rules.